Hey guys,
I did some searching both in the forum, and on google but can only find limited information.

I have been running for about 9 months now, on average 5 days/ week about 3 miles per run. I stretch before and after i run. What i have noticed is, when i get done with my run there are 2 lumps(size of quarters) on my right calf only. They are always in the same place and are tender to touch. After i stretch and cool off they go away.

I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this, or know what exactly causes it. I have a good pair of running shoes, but they are kind of old and i should replace them.

thanks for any help,

brian

Replace the shoes, get fitted properly on the new ones and take it from there. I've had calf problems in the past but not like what you are describing.

that sounds like a muscle spasm! i'd get the stick and roll your calfs regularly with it. it's gonna hurt to touch but it needs to be released. the stick might help. if not, you can do it by rolling your affected calf up and down over your opposite knee (sitting in a chair, cross one leg over the other and move the sore leg up and down over your opposite knee cap) after you roll, then you stretch gently. don't forget to stay hydrated. check into new shoes too. good luck. :wavey:

hey guys,
thanks for the input. after doing some research i agree with rolling rock, i think it may be caused by muscle spasms. i didnt consider this option because i thought spasms caused the muscle to twitch, but i guess thats not always the case.

I will be getting new shoes this week, and like i said i stretch consistantly. so im not sure if this continues should i see a doctor? as far as i know its not causing any problems except for some short term discomfort. but i dont know what kind of long term effects this spasm could have on my leg... any ideas?

thanks again

i think your muscles just need to learn to relax thru massage and stretching. (gentle stretching after the muscle is warmed up) again, i'd always roll that calf muscle and then stretch it gently after your run.

you can find alot of good information here about muscle pain and correction.

this is their archived (and now active again) muscle pain forum: