I'll open with one or two of my problems I encounter on runs and follow up with general inquieries about running in general.

---

Problems:
1.) Burping. Today I ran a 5k uphill run and i had 4 spells of burping for a good minute a piece, no doubt this slowed me down. I'm thinking it is something to do with my diet so if that is indeed the case what foods/drinks should i cut out on before running? If it is something else then what would it be? I feel losing this 'burping' c**p would definately help me increase my time, right guys?

2.) Heat. Heat is undoubtedly an issue with any runner. Heat highers pulse rate and makes it harder to run, it also makes you drink more as you run (see further down for a quiery on drinking), so what measures can you take to counter the heat? More water? Less clothes? Any tips on this will be much appreciated, especially as England hits summertime :)

---

Quieries:
1.) Drinking. Do you guys tend to run with a water bottle or do you run without a drink at all? How often, if you do take water with you, do you take sips etc.? Do you have a certain timing on liquid intake or just whenever you feel like it?

2.) Warming up (and down). Today was the first time I have ever warmed down in my entire life and I haven't been warming up since I started my running, not once. Here's the question... Does warming up improve results or just keep you from feeling stiff the next day/lessen the risk of you pulling a muscle and whatnot?

3.) Windsprints and so forth. How many of you bother doing windsprints and other such excersizes or do you just... run? Personally I don't have any rhytm, any techniques or anything at the moment, I'm just hitting the road/dirt tracks/wherever my feet take me and doing it at whatever pace I can manage, pushing myself as far as I can. What techniques do you use and how did you learn about them?

4.) Measuring distance. I have no issue measuring the time of my runs, I look at the clock as I head out and look at it when i get back, but distance, now that's a whole other ballgame. How on earth do you MEASURE the distance of your run? Help here will be VERY appreciated indeed!

Thanks in advance guys, you're a great help to me. :)

I tend to not drink at all on training runs. Anything under an hour and a half for me and I won't drink. I have used a water bottle on long runs. My long runs usually consist of multiple loops, so I just stashed a water bottle under the tire of my car or in a bush and picked it up on the lap. Carry it for a while, then drop it when you've had enough. Some people run by water fountains, but I don't like stopping to drink.
I wouldn't worry about sprints until you build a base of pretty consistant mileage (at least 15-20 a week). I generally try to have one speedwork session a week with 400's or 200's. When training for longer races, I'll move my speedwork to 800's and 1600's. And speedwork is very beneficial if you have some mileage to build upon.
The easiest way is to find paths that other people run, and have them tell you or look at the marks on the road. I have the benefit of running on marked 4, 5, and 6 mile loops around the lakes. I can mix and match, and I usually run a route such that I always have an even mile number instead of .3 or something. If you have a bike with a computer on it, that's a great way. I'm about to mark off some new trails because I'm getting bored with the lakes, and I'll do it on my bike. If you don't have a bike, you can always drive it. It's not the most accurate, but it'll get you to the nearest tenth of a mile and that's not too bad.

The only thing i can speak on right now is measuring distance, and i just drive it out with a car (which has limited what i've measured....mostly because i'm lazy and don't feel like getting new routes right now). It gets pretty close(but not exact), and gives me a feel for what i'm doing. I then can compare how i'm doing on one run to the next on that route. I may be off by a tenth, but i'm not too concerned about that.