I think Dr Rolling Rock came up with the right diagnosis:

Symptoms:
Initially, a dull ache 1-2 kilometres into a run, with pain remaining for the duration of the run. The pain disappears soon after stopping running, later, severe sharp pain which prevents running pain is worse on running downhills, or on cambered surfaces pain may be present when walking up or downstairs.
Local tenderness and inflammation

That pretty much sums up my knee problems. I do actually stretch pretty well for a runner. I'm sure it's an overuse/overtraining issue with my December races.
I'm going to actually make a dr appt this week. I think I'm done running for the month (it hurts to walk), so my spring training plans are also going to change.

What other cardio work outs can anyone suggest? I get to concentrate on weight and core training for awhile now.

ICE Kimba ICE, ICE, ICE.
I'll repeat it again if you like

ICE, ICE, ICE......

You might like to try this stretch which I have found VERY effective.

Lay flat on the floor. Draw the opposite leg to the to the affected side up to 45 degrees and place your foot flat on the floor and over the other side of your out-streched leg opposite your knee.

Now have Dennis (or trusted friend )hold your bended knee at the same time steadily push your straight leg across the centre line of your body keeping the straighten leg close to the floor, you will, or should feel a stretch across your hip.
Hold the tension of the stretch for about a minute. Have Dennis slightly ease off the tension for about 5 secs and repeat again this time trying for a little more stretch. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
IMPORTANT. Give equal time to your non-affected side.

Have three days off running and try this stretch twice a day (more is better) Try a short run, flat surface with no camber if there's no pain come home ICE your knee and repeat the stretch. Any pain, pull up and walk home, ICE and off to the doctor.

Just another 2 cents here. If it is an IT band problem what is the doctor going to do? I would recommend getting some soft tissue work done by a licensed masseuse.

Or masseur, since women aren't any better at massage than men.