I'm brand new here and just want to say hello. I am a relatively new runner (I began last summer.) I have been a weightlifter for about 20 years and I switched to running when I found no time to go the gym anymore. I have time to run through downtown on my lunchbreak.

7 months ago, I could only walk for 30 minutes. Now, I run 6 miles in a day during my lunch hour. I run 7-8 miles one day on the weekend and take a day off.

I have dropped weight from 215 to 165 in about 3 months and have maintained it. I eat very little breads, rice, pasta, or meat and instead fill up on raw veggies and fruits.

All is well with the running and I find it hard to miss. However, I am experiencing some pain on the outside of my left knee that runs down to my ankle. I'm able to run through it, but I pretty much have a dull ache in my knee and ankle during most of my waking hours. Any ideas? My shoes are not old and I had them fitted at a running shoe store.

rgb

Welcome to the forums! :wavey:

Sorry though, I'm not much on diagnosing problems. I'm sure someone else can help though.

Welcome.

How old are your shoes? How many miles have you ran in them? If you are running 6 miles five times a week, plus the 7-8 mile weekend run, you're putting a lot of miles on the shoes in a hurry. Shoes start to break down between 300 and 500 miles (on average), and the pain you described sounds like what I dealt with at the end of this summer and it ended up being related to my shoes.

Otherwise, the only other comment I have is that personally, I need my carbs to keep my energy for running.

Thanks for the feedback. The shoes are very new. However, I may still be feeling pain from the damage caused before I replaced them. Hopefully, it will get better with time.
As for carbs, I do eat them, just not grains, pasta, rice, etc. I am mainly getting them from raw veggies and fruits. I have been really surprised at how much energy I have had too. :D

sore knees usually equals time to go shoe shopping.