I'm in training for the Atlanta Half-Marathon on Thanksgiving morning. I'm up to ~ 25 mpw over the last 6 weeks (or so). I had to cut short last Sunday morning's 10 mile long distance run at the 5 mile mark due to some right knee pain around my outer kneecap. I tried to run through it for a half-mile or so, but ended up calling it quits when I had to alter my running stride. :(

I took the rest of the day off on Sunday. I did my weight training session on Monday night followed by 10 minutes on the eliptical trainer. Tonight, I resumed my running without any problems. (I did 55 minutes/5.66 miles on the treadmill.)

I think I pushed myself too hard on my Sunday LDR. We were pushing sub 9-minute miles and I was concluding an almost 30 mile week (an all-time high). I should be doing my LDR at 9:30 - 9:40 pace. After completing only 5 (of the 10) miles during the LDR, I still put in 25 miles last week. (Not to mention, I pushed myself pretty hard and set a PR in the Friday night 5K.)

Should I be worried about this setback on Sunday? Or if all goes well this week and I can complete my normal weekly mileage including Sunday Long Run (slowly) with out problems, should I assume I'm in the clear? This is the first time I've ever experienced anything like this before and I'm a little worried. Is it that big of a deal to not complete a normal LDR when training for a half-marathon? Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? :umno:

What type of road were you running on? Was the slope so that your right side was higher then the left?

A few years ago I had some IT band problems. The pain was in about the same area as what you are describing. I contributed it to running on the slope. It is a good thing that you quit early because I didn't and I still have troubles occasionally with it.

If you keep cross treaining up and keep your muscles balanced by working both the quads and hamstrings during your weight sessions, the pain should not be a problem. I should note as I always do when giving advice like this, I am not a doctor nor have I had any medical training/classes. This information is what I have found to work in my situation.

One of the hardest lessons I've learned is not letting a post-racing high take over my sanity. On weeks that I race, I skip the long run for that week and also keep the miles slowed down.. a day for each mile raced. So on a 5km race, it's best to keep things low-key for 3 days.
Since you're feeling good today, I'd say this was just a shot across the bow and you're good to go. Try that 9:30 pace this weekend and see how that goes...be sure to report back.

Rest is always the answer if in pain.

If you are feeling ok, I think you are alright.

However, next time, to be safe....Give yourself an option...Run a short route and do it twice...or have a couple of cut off points where you can stop if the pain flares up again.

Thanks for all the tips. I had another weight training session go off tonight without any problems. I'm going to try and put in 5 miles or so tomorrow (before I pig out at the Georgia Tech football tailgate).

No road race this weekend for the first time in like 6 weekends & no fall tennis league. Taking a break from everything. Just going to do 5 - 6 miles easy on Saturday and my long run on Sunday (10 miles). May try to squeeze in another weight lifting session.

When you run with a training group, you have to remember to run your own pace regardless. Sometimes, you just go out and start pushing yourself too hard from the start. If I don't have any more problems, this will be a good lesson learned.

Ran 5.06 miles today without any problems or flareups. Will take Friday off and then run 5 easy miles on Saturday before Sunday's Long run (~ 10 miles).