I am very keen on cycling and I’ve convinced my friend to start cycling as well. He has been cycling for a very short period of time and he has problems with saddle sore. I’ve never had such problems and I don’t know what advice to give him. He is afraid that he will have to undergo some surgery because of his saddle sore. Any advice would be helpful?

A saddle sore can really ruin a ride. Doctors say that saddle sores are caused by skin bacteria that invade surface abrasions. There are many ways of avoiding it, but when it comes to it there are several solutions. First, to medicate it, besides keeping it clean, treat it with an over-the-counter acne gel containing 10% benzoyl peroxide or use Emgel (erythromycin). If the sore continues then it’s good to ask a doctor for a course of oral antibiotics. While healing sore, avoid riding a bike, cause if a person continues to ride a bike on an open sore it may eventually form a cyst that requires surgery. So, your friend should start immediately curing his saddle sore.