I’ve noticed that I frequently have the numbness in my penis after cycling. I’m so worried and I even think about quitting cycling. There are certain researches which claim that cycling can serious damage reproductive organs. I don’t know whether that’s true, but I can say this is a pretty unpleasant sensation. Have you ever experienced numbness in penis from cycling? What can I do to prevent it?

Hi Perry,

Yes it is true, it happens.  It can lead to ED problems.

The pressure placed by your seat on your perineum is the cause.  Lots of arteries and nerves run through that area.

There are specially designed seats that prevent/reduce the damage.

Many cyclists have experienced this sensation. I’m also scared and I seriously consider switching to running or swimming, though I like cycling very much. These researches have been conducted both in USA and Europe and the results were the same – sometimes during cycling penile numbness occurs and it’s due to the constant pressure on blood vessels and nerves. This can bring about inability to maintain erection. These problems in some cases can last only a few days but sometimes they can last even a few months. If nothing is seriously damaged, everything returns to normal after a while. One of the solutions is buying a good saddle. Nowadays there are silicon saddles which are pretty comfortable. You should also change a position in the saddle or stand while you’re cycling.

Recent research shows this numbness can lead to inability to get hard erections for sex and loss of sexual sensations and response from damage to the penis root and nerves and blood vessels. There are new bike seats designed for men with an opening and no seat in a long ridge right under the penis and penis root back to the anus to prevent any pressure in this vital male sex organ area. Try one of these which are likely available online to purchase. I'm getting a seat like this for spring biking. Makes me wonder what cowboys always riding in hard horse saddles for days on end in the old west and old cavalry soldiers must have had for erections and sexual sensations?

Try as wide a range of saddles as you can and make sure you seek advice on being correctly fitted and positioned on your bike.

Have a look at the range of saddles that were created following extensive research into these delicate matters.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed