I keep hearing about the proper positioning on the bike. It is important as it provides smooth ride and ensures that you get the most of your strength, endurance and power without sustaining an injury. I am not sure how to find a proper position. I would like to know what the ideal seat position is.

Well you have to adjust your bike seat to be level to support your full body weight while allowing you to move around when necessary. If you tilt too much upward this can result in pressure points. On the other hand, if you tilt too much downward you may slide forward while riding. It will put extra pressure on your arms, hands and knees. This can lead to injury. If you want to adjust the seat height, you have to do it wearing your biking shoes and riding shorts while placing your heels on the pedals. When pedaling backwards, your knees have to fully extend in the down position. Should your hips rock side to side the seat is probably too high. If you move your foot into the proper pedaling position, your knees will be slightly bent. If you want to adjust the seat forward and backward you have to put your feet on the pedals so the crank arms are parallel with the ground. If you are in the proper position your forward knee should be directly over the pedal axle.