My 8 year old daughter has gained a significant amout of weight prior to diagnosing Hashimoto's. The disease is now under control but she is still overweight. She is active She eats similar quantities to her peers but needs to lose approx. 10 lbs to be at her ideal weight. she has always been 15-25% in weight and is now at 95%! I am very worried for her. Not only for health issues but for confidence as well, She keeps saying mom will I always be fat? I don't want her to end up with an eating disorder though at this critical age. The rest of our family is not overweight. We eat pretty healthy and only drink water in our house. Is there anyone out there who has been through this and may be able to help.

Your daughter is seriously in need of iodine, and I'm 99% certain so is the rest of your family. I've got a hungry baby I've got to tend to but got check out theiodineproject.com to find all the info you need.

My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with Hashimoto's when she just turned 9 years old. We are a family of athletes who are very health conscious about what we eat. All of our children are very lean and so was Aly until just before she was diagnosed. She is doing very well now but we have had to keep a good eye on her and on how she is feeling to see if her Levoxyl dose is where it should be. This statement that your daughter is low in iodine is a completely ignorant statement. There is no way for this person to know that, and too much iodine could be very dangerous. It sounds to me like your daughter may still be low in thyroid hormone. My daughter loses the weight (almost completely) each time we raise the dose of Levoxyl. We raise the dose when she is symptomatic (depression, exhaustion, moody, impatience, weight gain, dry itchy skin, gray skin, puffy face, lack of focus at school, achy joints and limbs etc...). The doctor then checks her blood levels and if the levels are within range and she feels good we keep it at that dose until she is symptomatic again. The thing is as her thyroid is being attacked there are times that she is hyper and then becomes hypo. I keep an extremely close eye on her and her symptoms. The impact it has on her life and feelings when she is getting enough thyroid hormone is huge, and her weight always gets in check if she is getting enough. She plays competitive soccer, basketball and runs constantly- though there are some days that she is not feeling great- but that seems to be the time when we need to raise her dose again. Right now she takes 125 mcg. Levoxyl. Right now she is happy. We also keep her away from 'goitrogens' like soy (especially soy bean oil), uncooked broccoli, spinach, p-nut butter, strawberries, brussel sprouts, etc... These foods are said to depress the thyroid. She also has as much organic foods as possible- especially meats and dairy. A lot of sleep and a lot of water are both really important for her. I really wish you the best of luck!

You really should read up on what you are currently giving your daughter, Levoxyl among other meds like it has many bad side effects and in general is very unhealthy for your daughter. Taking too much iodine is virtually impossible, I say that because you body will excrete what is not needed, you may temporarily feel hypothyroid but this would last less than a day since that is the amount of time it takes to be excreted from you body. Having said this you should also know that the amount of iodine that one SHOULD consume is far greater than that of the RDA. The RDA was a baseline, a minimum necessary to prevent goiter and extreme stupidity, and it would work if we didnt have so many goitrogenic additives in our foods. Here is a small list of things that block the iodine absorption: lead, mercury, chlorine, bromide, fluoride, soy. This is not a complete list but these are the ones we are exposed to most often and overwhelmingly so. Fortunately there is one way to excrete those heavy metals that I listed, Iodine should be in each cell of your body, however with so little of it in our diet our body's compromise and absorb what is readily available, once it's in it pretty much stays in which is why we feel horrible all the time. Iodine gets into your body and gets into the cells and pushes out all the c**p that's been sitting there, the detox is a little rough during the first month but is well worth it, you feel so much better afterwards, you become hormonally balanced, lose weight with ease, feel better, and I havent gotten sick since I've began my supplements which has been 6 months now. At the moment I take 32.5 milligrams per day, my mother takes the same, my husband is taking 6.5 milligrams and my son gets about 2-3 milligrams a day. An adult should get at least 12.5 milligrams per day for the rest of their life, this is what used to be in our foods before the mineral and vitamin depletion of the soil. A child depending on the size should get a fraction of what an adult takes, like I said my son gets between 2 and 3 mg per day.
If you are wondering why my mother and I take more than the recommended daily amount that I suggested, it's because we are building up our iodine stores, we should have 1500 mg of iodine in our bodies regularly, we don't right now, it takes time to detox and build up your iodine stores, but I pay close attention to my body, once I begin feeling hyperthyroid I know it's time to drop my dose. Oh and btw I am breastfeeding my 8 month old baby girl and started on a few drops of liquid dulse and worked my way up to the 32.5mg over a period of 3 months, she is happy and healthy too and has only had a cold once (before the supplementation), so even she doesnt get sick anymore.

Approximately 95% of Americans are deficient in iodine and the reason is food additives, toxic stuff we are exposed to everyday, heredity also plays a role.

I have so much more to say but it wont matter to you if you aren't interested. My goal here is not to change your mind, you will decide what you think is best for your family, I just want you to be aware of things you might not be, I know I wasn't before I spent a year looking into it. I started a website because all the information about iodine is scattered all over the place on the web, I made one place that has just about all the information I have found in the past year and a half.
TheIodineProject.com

Good luck to you and yours,
Nichole

Your daughter has all the classic symptoms of iodine deficiency, I know, I've had all those and more. I no longer suffer from those things, I feel sooo much better than I have my whole life! All I needed was some vitamins and minerals that I should have been getting anyways...

I have friends and family that have gotten on board with the iodine supplementation and have all of our stories listed on the site under
Track the iodine progress.

my almost 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with hashimoto's in 2011 and we have been struggling. our daughter is not overweight but has a little "tire" around her middle. we have been helped to a great degree by a doctor who suggested T3 for her, and to be on a Paleo way of eating, which we have been doing for almost four months. we take breaks and eat merely gluten-free foods every week or so, but the elimination of grains of any kind as well as legumes and cutting down on dairy may be the key for your daughter. it is possible that grains have caused inflammation in her gut and elsewhere and I know that cutting them out immediately causes weight loss if you are adversely sensitive to them. I hope this helps a bit. Paleo cooking is absolutely delicious and there are great ways to make desserts too. Our daughter is 80% better but not completely better yet. We are still working on it. Good luck.

My daughter is also 12 and diagnosed with Hasimotos. Knowing the age and understanding the body changes, she still has extreme mood swings and cried each night for one week straight. At times she gets better and within seconds can zone off and become withdrawn. She was an honor roll student and now has d's, and f's on her report card. I don't know that I can attribute all this to the diagnosis but am very concerned for her in many ways. She is also not overweight but does have a spare tire around her middle as well. I will research the lack of iodine and the Paleo diet. I was also suggested to research accupuncture as well. Any feed back would be appreciated. She used to be such a happy girl and not that it is all blue, just want her to be the best she can be. I believe it is affecting her friendships as well as she shows less interest in them. I guess she just seems to be in her own world and at times shutting people out? Again, I don't relate everything back to the diagnosis, but the timing somewhat falls in line.

It is very difficult watching your daughter go thru a disease like this and figuring out if it's the disease or their age. My daughter is extremely active, tumbles, cheers, runs and plays basketball. One would think she would be a stick. I believe the little bit extra she might have which is really not much is due to, their age and going through changes along with the disease. My daughter was diagnosed at 13 she had a goiter. She had expressed that she was very tired a lot. Once she got on the proper amount of synthroid she has had more energy. I will be looking into the iodine and also the foods my daughter eats.
As far as your daughters moods talk to her which I'm sure you do. There is so much going on around our girls at school during middle school it can be tough. Who know she might be distancing herself because they could be making choices that she is not wanting to participate in which could be a good thing. Finding her place but it's good that you are aware and monitoring the situation. That happened with my son. Good luck.