Hello. I'm 24 year old female and I'm pretty worried about my mother’s heath. You see, about a month ago I first time started to notice some strange symptoms on her. First, I have noticed increased nervousness and emotional instability all accompanied with intolerance of heat and excessive sweating. I told her immediately that she should contact her doctor over this but she didn’t want to hear about it. She was convinced that there is nothing wrong with her. Three or four days ago, when I noticed that she has developed staring, bulging eyes and enlargement of the thyroid gland I made her to see her GP. He kept her in hospital because he’s suspecting on some thyrotoxicosis as possible cause. What should I know about this disease, symptoms and diagnosis?

Hello. I'm very sorry about your mother and I will definitely like to help you and, although you still don’t know the right diagnosis, I will tell you some quick facts about this disease.
Thyrotoxicosis is a condition in which the thyroid gland produces excess thyroid hormone which results in effects on the whole body.
Some typical symptoms are weight loss in spite of increased appetite, rapid heart rate and enlargement of the thyroid gland.
The real cause of this disorder is still unknown but most often the cause seems to be the body developing an immune reaction against itself.
The diagnosis is simple and simple blood test can confirm high levels of thyroid hormone in blood. The treatment varies from medicamentously to surgical removal of the gland!