I have heard some terrible and scare tales about abortion in late pregnancy. I have heard some women had partial birth abortion, so I would like to get some answers. I wonder if in these abortions, both mother and child might die. Personally, I think mother who decide to kill baby without any good reason need to be dead also. Can you tell me more about procedure of partial birth abortion?

In the first week there are micro-abortions caused by some contraceptive drugs and devices. After implantation, there are those induced by drugs such as RU 486, Methotrexate and prostaglandins. In the first trimester, there are surgical abortions like suction and D&C. In the second and third trimesters, there are instillation types, D&E, intracardiac injections and partial birth abortions, which you are interested. More recently developed method here, is the partial birth abortion. It is also called "brain suction" or "D&X" methods. These are done after 4 or 5 months, where 80% of babies are normal. Most babies are viable, so this is like a breech delivery. The entire infant is delivered except the head, and scissors is jammed into the base of the skull. A tube is inserted into the skull, and the brain is sucked out, then now-dead infant is pulled out. The main issue protecting partial birth abortions is fear that women may need this procedure to preserve their health, though that is not always like that.

That's not strictly true, is it, tedda?

Survival rates for premature babies are as follows (source BLISS)

Survival rates

Babies born at 23 weeks have a 17 per cent chance of survival
Babies born at 24 weeks have a 39 per cent chance of survival
Babies born at 25 weeks have a 50 per cent chance of survival

Foetus' prior to 22 weeks have little chance of survival ex-utero. This equates to the five months mark.

Partial Birth abortion - or Intact dilation and extraction to give it its proper name - is a procedure carried out usually between 21 and 24 weeks and accounts for only about 1.5% of abortions in the UK (over 90% take place prior to 15 weeks). These days it is generally only used if there are expected to be medical difficulties which would result in a serious threat to the well-being of the mother.

I think Carifairy should be the one to answer this from the USA point of view. She would know far better than I on this matter and my personal opinion would skew the matter (I personally believe that this type of abortion should be illegal in all of the USA).

I have heard however, of these abortions happening very late in a pregnancy, to the point of survivability of a live baby (24-28 weeks and later). In the USA a 25 week old baby can survive, and be perfectly healthy without complications (one of my employee's has twins who were born at this stage and have no health problems at all).

Wow, I just learned more about abortions that I ever wanted to know, or cared to know...Thanks Guys!!! :-(

HERE is the deal...

SUCTION abortion, or D&E, which is LATE term suction abortion, is done to 24+ weeks.

PBA is only done in certain circumstances, because it is much more difficult of a process..

HERE is some info I like to give..

***Labor and delivery abortion** There are women who do WANT Their babies, and were happy about the pregnancy, but they find out that their baby has a defect. Trisomy 18, Anencephaly, Hydrocephalus, Dandy walker syndrome, these are only a few terribly disfiguring diseases whick women may terminate for. These were wanted pregnancies, so many women want to hodl their "BABY" and have closure. Many women also choose other perosnal ceremonies, cremation, and even autopsy to see if they can recieve any new info. Their Labor is induced with Pitocin, just like any other labor which is induced. Their membranes may be stripped, and they will eventually deliver a stillborn baby. The baby is born stillborn due to a shot of Digoxin into the heart. Sometimes the baby has a defect which causes its head to be filled with massive amount of fluid, and it cannot be delivered through the cervix, so the head is collapsed to allow safe passage. This is the SUPPOSED PBA technique, which is highly misunderstood among even pro choicers.

D&E is used for ALL ABORTIONS after 18 weeks-26+ weeks, UNLESS THE WOMAN REQUESTS L&D style due to deformities, which most do...

Carifairy, thank you for explaining that more thoroughly, it is very different than what people are told about things. I appreciate the information and knowledge.

You are welcome...

"PBA" or as it is medically called "D&X", is not usually used alone, it is used in conjunction with L&D abortion. Now, obviously if the doctor feels that the fetal head is too massive to fit through even a largely dilated cervix, he may not attempt the delivery. Usually every attempt is made for an intact baby, because usually that is what grieving families would prefer. =(

There are only about 3 clinics in the US that actually offer L&D abortion, as many women will have their private OB perform a L&D termination.

While most OB's do not perform purely elective abortions, many will perform a L&D for severe malformations.

There is a lot of false info about PBA, simply because it is so rarely done, so noone except doctors have a lot of experience with it.

In 2004...I believe is the year.. .5% of all abortions were said to be "D&X"