Hey all, my name is Ashley , 23 years old and i have a lisfranc fracture my first metatarsal and i completely tore the joint connecting my first metatarsal to the others. I was walking down the stairs with my 19 month old in my arms and missed the last step and in attempt to catch my footing , I fell and wound up with this horrible condition. Thankfully my son was safe in my arms and unharmed(the only great positve thing about this ) . So basically I never had surgery in my life and I am completely terrified of being put to sleep . At the ER the podiatrist said I should most likely have surgery because arthritis will eventually set in because no joint and when there's no joint the bones will rub together and cause arthritis . I opted no surgery and now am 4 weeks post accident and he says my fracture healed but healed wider and is a little out more because I have no joint connecting that big toe first metatarsal to the other. So he says if i dont get surgery, everytime i step down when im walking, i will have pain. because he knows i really dont want surgery, he said he could also form a plastic foot brace thats comfortable for my foot for better balance. Basically I'm gonna go for a second opinion praying they say something else and give another option. This has been the worst experience of my life and it is terrible because i can't do much with my son who is now 20 months old and it's getting closer to warm weather and I feel terrible he is missing out . I was never in much pain except for when o actually fell i couldnt even remove my shoe it hurt so bad. Then the first two weeks when I would get up from bed with my crutches after elevating it, I would feel like blood rushing through and it really hurt for about 30 seconds. But this only happened at night. I was in a splint cast up to right under my knee for two weeks and now have been in the black boot for two weeks but partial weight baring only with crutches. My leg immediately got muscle atrophy . It feel like jello. I feel like I'm never going to walk again.i can already move my foot and toes . The big toe is a little delayed and takes a little more muscle to bend and flex it. I have some pain and still a little swollen and bruise under my foot. I know everyone's situation is different but has anyone been in minimal pain and can walk almost normal that has not gotten surgery?

Hi Ashley,

My name is Theresa and I also suffered a lisfranc injury recently. I was in a (minor) car accident on 12/20/12. Unfortunately, my injury was missed and more a less treated like it was no big deal at the beginning. I am writing to see if you have decided on getting the surgery. I truly believe you should do it if that is what your doctor recommends. If you have doubts, it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion, but I would suggest a foot specialist. From what I've read, this injury is very rare and only occurs in 1 out of every 55,000 people. Consider yourself lucky that it was diagnosed that soon. My doctory told me that most people walk around on the injury for a year before it is recongized. I would love to share my story with you but don't have the time to type it all out right now. Please reply if you haven't gotten the sugery, as I have much more to share. Hope things are going well for you & your little one!

Theresa

Hi Theresa, I actually went for a second opinion to an orthopedic surgeon who sent me for an MRI which the hospital or podiatrist never did (even though the medical records said an MRI would be more beneficial) . The MRI showed a partial tear of the ligament not a complete tear like the first doc said so its a lisfrsnc injury, The ortho said it should heal on its own now and I started physical therapy last week . I get some pains here and there if I'm on it too long but I'm guessing it is because my foot is still weak and not completely healed until 12 week mark, I'm at the 8.5 week mark right now. I walk some in the house without the boot but just feels too weak to actually put a real shoe on and to walk without boot. It stinks its so rare and all I was doing was walking ! I'm sorry to hear yours was misdiagnosed at first . I would lie to hear your story. Did you get surgery? Ashley

Hi Theresa

I noted with interest your kind offer to share your Lisfranc experiences with Ashley...

IMO, what Lisfranc-ers want, and need, above all, is to find 'normal' people with personal experience of Lisfranc who can give an insight into what lies ahead AND hope that they will eventually get to a position where the injury can be 'coped with'

>>>> gradually I started to find the right people, through blogs, youtube, forums such as this, and decided to pull together a group of such people to make it easier for new Lisfranc-ers to find the RIGHT sort of info

>>> we would LOVE to have YOU and people like you 'ON-BOARD'

the CLUB is on FACEBOOK - search for LISFRANC FRACTURE CLUB

- very best regards & LOOK AFTER THAT FOOT!!