Hi! Im 3wks post-op from dislocated 2nd metatarsal. 2 screws. Im feeling really good about my healing so far. Cant believe the long healing. reading all your posts is informative and scary! Im determined to stay positive.

I hope you are continuing to progress. I injured my foot in a car accident and probably have either a Lisfranc fracture or a ligamentous Lisfranc injury. (Appears that the treatment for both is the same: surgery). Can I ask you a couple of questions about your surgery and recovery?

Was your surgery as an out-patient?

Did you have a cast on your foot immediately afterwards, or did you just have a heavily bandaged foot with instructions not to bear weight?

If you have a cast, how often is it changed?

How long were you flat-on-your-back, mostly unable to get up and on heavy duty pain meds?

Did you have people around to help you for the first few days or week? I have 2 daughters but they are both away at college, and my husband can take some time off work, but not a long time off.

Thanks for your help!

maryhitt wrote:

paddlefoot wrote:

Was your surgery as an out-patient?

Thanks for your help!

Hi! I am sure this finds you too late, but I have a lisfranc fracture that was recently fixed. I had surgery (Open reduction Internal Fixation Lisfranc Fracture Left foot) 5 weeks ago and they ended up putting a plate and 7 screws. I ended up staying two days in the hospital, but that always depends on how you are doing and how serious the injury is. If you have not had surgery yet. After surgery they put me in a split but it was alot of bandages on my foot, then a week later they put me in hard plaster cast, then a week later they took that cast off, took out the stitches, then put me in another cast that I have kept on for 3 weeks. Depending on how I am heeling they will take the cast off in a week or put another one on for 2 more weeks. All of this is non weight bearing. And then after that 4 weeks in a walking boot and physical therapy.

For the first week or so I slept alot because of the pain meds, but after your body gets used to them you are able to stay awake more. But key is to keep your foot elevated as much as possible even when you are sleeping. I used one of those back pillows you lean up against...worked perfect for elevating the foot. Also take your pain meds how often as you are suppose to. I found that I had to set my alarm for the night to take them or I would just eventually wake up in excruciating pain.

Sadly to take you will need people to help you. I am not able to really do anything for myself. I can't cook. But I can make a sandwhich or get a drink that has a handle on it.

One thing I did find helpful is a friend of my found a bag that I could attach to my crutches. Helped out so much because you can put your phone, ipod, anything even drinks in it since you can't carry anything. But it is helpful when people leave food and drinks out for me to eat. Paper plates and bowl and plastic fork, spoons, and knifes become your best friend! Easy to carrry and throw away.

Hope this helps!

Four years ago I fell off the side of outdoor steps. After looking at my foot, had someone help me get in the car to go to the ER. The top half of my foot looked almost disconnected to the rest. The ER doctor said that I had dislocated all the metatarsals by over an inch. I was transferred to another hospital and had surgery an hour later. Don't know exactly what the medical name is for it, but I had five "pins" but in my foot (they stuck out at the top). I was in the hospital for two days. When I could not get the hang of crutches, I was released and given a wheelchair. No cast was put on my foot initially and no boot. I was to leave it wrapped with the ace wrap and a lot of gauze. Follow up appts each week....eventually the Drs. okayed changing my own bandages and rewrapping. Whether it was due to my changing my bandages or some other reason, I had two times of having very very painful infections in my foot which were almost worse than the injury iteself and affected healing. After having the pins in for three months (during which time I was always in a wheelchair) they were taken out and two weeks later I was able to try to start walking and going to physical therapy. I was lucky that I had family to help me during this time, because it was hard to get to the bathroom, in the shower (had to purchase a shower chair, shave my legs, get dressed, and just about everything else. I couldn't drive either as it was my right foot. During all this time, I couldn't work, couldn't really do much myself at all. I would say that from the time of my injury until the time I was entirely self sufficient again was about 6 months. To this day, I still have pain and swelling in my foot on a daily basis. I call it my "mutant foot" LOL. Some days are worse than others but it still affects me everyday and I can't be on my feet for an extended period of time or the pain is unbearable. Drs have told me that the next step is the have fusion surgery and basically I can have that whenever I want, when I can't deal with the pain anymore. I just can't see going through all that immobiliity and helplessness again. I would rather live with chronic pain than endure that again....but maybe one day I will feel differently.