I am 45 years old and have just been diagnosed with a lisfranc injury to my second metatarsal with respect to the middle cuneform. The degree of subluxation is 3mm. My question is....it is a prior injury that I am not quite sure when it ahppened it scould have happened up to 6 years ago. I have been to 3 doctors(2 podiatrist i ortho pedic) none who could diagnose it til now. Anyway my podiatrist is recommending I wear orthotics for 6 months to correct problem then if that doesn't work do sugery. From waht I have read surgery is my only option to correct the problem.. What do you think?
I am in constant pain and have been in a boot for the last 3 weeks and it doesn't seem to be making it any better.
Thanks
Donna

Hi, I am one of the few on here who has not had surgery. I am 4 months into recovery from a cuneiform fracture without dislocation. If possible, I recommend trying the orthotics first but be very careful to pay attention to your foot. If I do too much, it swells and hurts but after all this time, I can bear some weight and walk on it a little. The most important part is there is improvement every week. I massage the foot regularly and that helps with stiffness and swelling. Plus some minimal exercises of the toes. Doc won't let me start PT yet but hopefully soon. Oh, also don't shy away from NSAIDS - they help with the pain and swelling. Don't expect any quick cures but it will heal with time. However, if your foot is unstable with weight-bearing than yes, you do need surgery.

I had surgery last June, after 6 months of being in a cast trying to avoid surgery. Surgery went well but I'm still in tremendous pain. I'm scheduled to have one of the joints fussed in October. Anyone have experience with this?

What do you mean by 'unstable'?
I tore my ligament 2 years ago, it's only been diagnosed now. My arch has fallen. Is this what you mean by instability?
I was told to wear orthotics. I'm terrified of future arthritis!!

K.