hello everyone. if anyone's out there. i've heard people explain that since this injury is so rare that the posts are few and far between. what i wish....is someone who is running around out there with this injury would come to this forum and say "hey!" i had this happen and i totally forgot about it because it doesn't even bother me. wouldn't that be nice? wouldn't it be nice to be walking, running, and dancing (expecially in high heels) with ease!! well, i got two screws in 2 weeks ago i just had the cast put on, it was 30 days before the doc detected it and i had walked around on it. Thank God it wasn't longer. So if anyone's interested. i looked up some famous football players who have recovered from this injury:
Warrick Dunn (i was so excited couldn't believe it...got it in '03 doin great)
Duce Staley (went on to rush for over 1,000 yards within 2 years)
Chad Lewis (his ligament was severed completely and he's in practice)

dunno maybe that'll help someone. it helps me. yea so i'll be non-weight bearing for another 12 weeks (fun) most of my vacations are screwed (no pun :-) lost 2 jobs, can't get my 15 year old around to her things, can't drive. i'm a runner and a dancer. i'm told maybe i'll never run...maybe i'll run a marathon. i think they key to this injury is keeping a great attitude..some books that have been helping me.... You can heal your life by louise hay and ask and it is given by esther and jerry hicks.
before this injury i was the most negative person on the face of the planet....i can't afford to be that person anymore, if i wanna walk up right again....the doctor's shooting for 95 percent...i'm shooting for 100...hope you do too.
much luv to all.

hi i got a lisfranc fracture on may 3 2007 due to a motorcycle accident.. its march 2008 now and i still have two screws in my left foot. the doctors dont paint a pretty picture, but i can walk just fine now and i can even jump and run with the two screws in there, although my foot does feel a little sore in the mornings. i never had the screws removed because i didnt have enough cash for the operation, my foot really doesnt bother me at all. my problem is that i was selected to join the fire dept. and have to go through the training academy. one of the requirements is to run 3 miles in 28 min. i really cant run that fast, but i can jog at a pretty decent pace. does anybody have any tips out there for any type of running shoes to get or to do any exercises that will help loosen up my foot? thanks

I got a lisfrance injury by slamming my right foot on the brake pedal and sliding into a telephone pole on an icy road. The injury was diagnosed right away (xrays and CT scan) and my podiatrist at the ortho practice performed surgery one week later inserting 2 screws. in a cast for 6 weeks, NO weight bearing. Then partial weightbearing in a roboboot and crutches for 2 weeks. That was ok. Then full weightbearing with the boot and then into a sneaker. Can I tell you how much it hurts? And, I'm walking with a limp. Everyone keeps asking me why it's taking so long to heal. Duh, like I want to walk and feel like this. Surgery in May (at about 22 weeks from insertion) to remove both screws. I'm hoping that relieves some of this pain upon walking. Also started physical therapy a month after going into the sneaker; it helps a little but you have to be diligent and do the exercises at home too. I've managed to keep my 2 jobs (I'm single) because luckily they are sit down jobs. But its a very depressing injury and it's like I'm waiting for my life to start because I can't even go to the grocery store! WIll post again after next surgery. Glad I found this site and to know that others are out there.
GMK

i had the worst lisfranc u could have the er doc said .. better than any pic he'd ever seen in any medical textbook. anyhow... 7 screws - tore every tendon .. stepped off curb and ground gave way..
surgery off foot for 5 months ... casts, boot, pt .. and here i am 5 yrs later .. so much pain in foot/leg i can't sleep much ... so foot ortho doc is stretching muscle up back of leg .. every two weeks new cast .. on second cast ... each one puts foot a more of an angle to stretch muscles..

have bone spurs on top of foot where dislocation was .. he doesn't feel fusion is answer ..... only have 20% rotation on right foot .. what a pain this is.... sleeping more .. BUT ..... i can't wait to see what happens as i get older ... 55 now.... sure hope this works; PT after casts come off. hopefully tendon will stay flexible .. otherwise will have to have extention to tendon.... oh my ........ always walk with a limp .. mostly only wear birkenstocks.... sure is frustrating ....

Hi there all of you :O) I guess I'm in the club me to, since I got myself a sweet little lisfranc while climbing (or rather failing to do so). Sure it can be a bit depressing not to have the ability to walk, but however, since I have noone who takes care of me and since I live on the 5:th floor with no elevator, I kind of needed to find sollutions to make life work for me, and hopefully my ideas can be useful for somebody.

First - with two hands on the crutches, carrying stuff around can be a bit tricky, right? ..Until you find out you can have a backpack doing the job for you, well if you have atleast one healthy foot that is, but if so, you can atleast go shopping at the grocers. I allways have the empty backpack with me, wherever I go, because you never know when you need to carry something. Another fine sollution - if you can get a builders working pants, you know the kind with lots of pockets on it, for all the tools a worker might need, then you're a bit happier still, because you can have all the small things you commonly need directly accessible, and you don't have to take on and off the backpack neither. Try geting one with as big pockets as possible.

Hope you all can run, jump and dance again sometime, I do miss that part myself too. Keep on excercising if you can, doctors are sometimes pretty pessimistic in order not to promise too much, you may have better chanses to recouver fully than you may have been told, so don't give up, and good luck! :-D

My son had a dirtbiking accident in April 2008. He had to wait 7 days for surgery because of swelling. Non weight bearing for 12 weeks then with orthotics, he could return to previous activities as he could handle them. His surgery went well and it has been approximately six month since he started walking on it. He is doing very well, has a minor limp. He has good range of motion. The big concern I have is that he had the surgery at Mass General Hospital with one of the top surgeons, we were blessed to have him but he wanted my son to keep the screws in for six months post surgery. During that time, the surgeon moved out of state. I then got the Chief surgeon from MGH. He is supposed to be one of the best. He recommeded that the screws stay in for good. I am a bit worried about that and not sure if they should come out or not. Any suggestions????

Lisfranc motorcycle accident in aug 07. multiple fractures/lisfranc, every roght foot bone except 2 toes. surgery 1 week later. 4 months in cast/boot/hardshoe. lots of stretching. got the screws out in feb of 08. march 1 I ran 1.5 miles to qual for a job. I am in the military (NG).. run 2 miles regularly. It hurts. I can't jump or balance as well. But it is getting better. Stay away from the cold. Losing weight seems to help too... stay focused. rest when it hurts. work it when it dosen't. I'm 30. Hope this helps ;-).

I am 11 years post a very severe lisfranc fracture and try to stay very positive...I'm not a complainer at all. I am active. The reality of it all is that I conitnually have pain...some days I barely walk. Every complication that they warned about HAS happened...it just took time for it all to develop...I've had three surgeries...have another scheduled for this summer--the pins are actually causing bone problems and they need to take it out. Arthritis has set in and I am being treated for RSD...initially the first two years out I thought "I can do this" and I still think that...it just takes so MUCH MORE to believe it now...I'm trying. Has anyone else experienced worsening problems as the years go on? Mine never got better...but, my doctors also told me to NEVER expect it to get better...they told me from day One...it gets better, but will then get worse with age and with increased actitivities...anyone else out there that can relate??

Have your son keep the pins more than 6 months. I've had mine for ten for the second time around and now they are pushing against pins and they have to take one of them out. However, they took the first set of pins out after only five months and it only took a year before they had to put them back in. So, keep them a bit, but not long enough for bone to grow over them. Get them out before further complications arise. but, BE SURE that the bone is fused before they attempt to remove them. In my case five months was not enough.

I asked my Doctor about this fact and he said that the injuries that baseball/football players get called LisFranc are actually just impacting the actually LisFranc ligament and typically it is just a stretching of that. He said it is not nearly as severe as what real LisFranc fractures are and typically the F-ball players only require a pin to push the ligament together and then it is removed and six months later they are back in the game. He said that is just not the case for severe cases...which mine was/is. Anyway, it was disappointing to know that these f-ball players who get that injury are doing so well because it was ONLY the ligament that was injured and not surrounding areas.

Just thought I would let you know what the ortho said.

Motorcycle accident let to Lisfranc Fracture, 4 tarsal Fractures and dislocation of 3 toes in Mar 2009. After 3 months Non-weight bearing I was given the ok to begin walking. Doctor said I would never run and would most likely never be able to support more than my own body weight. In the week following release I ran a total of 14 miles and continue to run 2 miles daily. I also calf-press 500lbs and squat 400lbs. There is slight discomfort in the mornings and before bed other than that I am as good as before.

wow. How great that you have recovered like that. In 2006 I fell and had a severe lisfranc injury: fractures to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th metatarsals, cuboid bone fracture, severe ligament damage. Not much dislocation so we tried to treat it conservatively, non-wt. bearing, etc., but post-traumatic arthritis set in within 6 months, so surgery was indicated. I had 7 screws in my midfoot. . .then complications, so a year later out they came. Then I got RSD in that foot. . .painful to the touch, can't walk far or stand too long. . .

At least I can walk, but I think my running and dancing days are done, and forget about high heels.

Hey.

I'm from the UK and had a lisfranc fracture in my right foot. Bones 2 and 3 were fixed with screws. I was in a cast for 6 weeks then told to weightbear fully with an airboot on.

I had physio to get me walking without the boot and back to driving again.

I'd say it took me a good 6 - 8 months to recover, although for a year, if I walked a long distance my foot would ache and would swell up a bit.

My metatarsal muscles can be quite tight. I was told not to run (I am overweight) or do any high impact exercise on it and I still have the screws in my foot. I wonder whether it's standard practice in the UK to keep them in?

I also got told I would get arthritis.

It's spurred me to do something about my weight (easier now than later when I'm unable to walk!). 40lbs lost so far :)