In August, I managed to hurt my left foot while I was non-weightbearing to heal a stress fracture in my left hip. I realized it was serious when the pain wouldn't in my foot wouldn't go away or get better after a few weeks when I was finally off of crutches. My ankle was also aching. I went back the the doctors and bugged them until they sent me for an MRI. The MRI showed that I have a subacute osteochondral injury and a small, incomplete nondisplaced fracture (3mm linear low signal focus) to the base of the second metatarsal. I also have a small subacute osteochondral injury to the head of the lateral cuniform and mild, generalized narrowing of the tarsal metatarsal space but no dislocation or subluxation. The MRI did not detect any ligament or tendon damage. Still going through a battery of tests to figure out why I have so many fractures. I was referred to a podiatrist who did non-weightbearing x-rays. The x-rays did not show any displacement of my joints or the fracture. Apparently the only way to see a fracture at the base is if the base is shattered. According to the podiatrist and my sports doctor, I don't have a lisfranc injury. I was put back on crutches, given a cam walker boot, and a bone stimulator. I used them for 3 weeks. Went back to the podiatrist for a follow-up. He performed more x-rays (both non-weightbearing and weightbearing), manipulated my foot, pushed the bone, etc. X-rays didn't show any displacement or the fracture. I didn't have any pain from him playing with the foot. He told me that I could go back into sneakers. I have been walking for a few days and still feel a sharp pain on the top of my second metatarsal when I walk or lean forward. The pain isn't at the base but at the shaft. Is this pain normal? Should be walking at all? I was non-weightbearing for 6 weeks with a stress fracture in my hip so 3 weeks doesn't seem like enough time for healing of an actual fracture. I'm still concerned that I might have an undiagnosed lisfranc even though I've been told by the podiatrist that I don't have one. Should I get another opinion?

I definitely think that you should get another opinion. I don't think that the pain that you're experiencing is normal, and it really needs another look. Can you let me know how it goes?

Well, I went for a 2nd opinion. I went to an Orthopedic foot & ankle specialist. Brought my MRI. The orthopedic barely looked at my MRI but when he did look at it he suggested that I had a cyst. I replied that the radiologist didn't find a cyst on my report. He also said I didn't have a lisfranc injury and agreed with my podiatrists method of treatment. He told me that I could walk in the boot or find a stiff-soled shoe but to limit my walking. I'm going to another podiatrist (recommended by a friend of mine) for a third opinion. I found out last week that I have osteopenia which explains why I was able to break a bone in my foot so easily. Now I get to go through a battery of tests to find out why I have osteopenia.