I am currently 4 wks post-injury with a Lisfranc dislocation caused from stepping backwards onto a box on the floor. I was placed in a boot to wear for 6-8 wks constantly except to drive. One Dr. said it was a "mild dislocation" and that if we treated it aggressively, we could possibly ward off any long term problems down the road. Another Dr. said that surgery would be most likely and that it would be very "minor" since the other bones didn't shift. I definitely want to avoid surgery as I have young active children and staying off my feet for months at a time is not an option and my injury is not that severe. So far, I am able to get by hobbling around with my big boot on. Does anyone have any positive Lisfranc healing experiences without surgery? Any suggestions for alternative treatments? I am really searching for non-surgical solutions to this nightmare. I am able to bear weight without any major problems, I just experience intermittent pains on top of the foot all day and night, depending on how tight the straps of the boot are. Any suggestions or shared experiences would be really appreciated!

Hi Jojos, welcome to the Lisfranc club! Follow these links for a lot of information. The first link is 14 pages full of information and the second link is because the first link got too full.

Some weblinks state that only 1 out of 55,000 persons present with a lisfranc injury so we're a rare breed.

https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/lisfranc-foot&name=LISFRANC_FOOT&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/lisfranc-foot-fracture-thread-part-ii

Kelly

Thanks for all the helpful info Kelly! I am now 6 wks post injury and my foot was actually starting to feel slightly better. Then 2 days ago I wasn't thinking as I was stepping down from my SUV while lifting my toddler out of his carseat. I stepped down to the ground and landed on my injured foot and felt excruciating pain somewhere near my ankle and top/side of foot! I didn't strap my boot on tight enough and it was somewhat loose. I was also distracted and just trying to quickly get my son out. Normally I am really careful about stepping down on my good foot. So now my foot has wierd pains at the original site of injury, and I have a strange "nerve" pain feeling running from the ankle up to the top of my leg, like in a line! I was relatively pain free but now it actually hurts when I walk. I am so depressed! I am actually to see my Dr. next week for a 7 wk follow up and now am dreading it for fear of what he may find! Did I just undo 6 wks of healing? Did I just sprain my ankle too? Or maybe my foot never healed and I will have to have surgery! Have you or anyone else reinjured their foot while recovering from a lisfranc injury? What was the outcome? I feel like such a klutz!!

I have a subtle LisFranc injury. I was involved in a car accident on Sept 1 2006. I am now 4 weeks into my healing. I have opted for the non operative approach. This might seem silly to some but I believe my body can heal itself. What I know about LisFranc injuries, through lots of research, is you are not to put weight on your injured foot. It will take a minimum of ten to twelve weeks for ligament healing to take place. When you have ligament damage in this area the bones are not supported so it is very important to stay off of it. To the women who thinks she may have reinjured her foot, I had a similar experience. I tripped with my good leg and brought my bad foot down while carrying my baby. Some pain but my foot seems to be okay. Things can get very easily knocked around while those ligaments are healing. I hope your foot is okay. I tried something last night that really made my foot feel better than it has since the accident. I used a castor oil pack. If you look on line under castor oil packs you can find info on them, what their good for and how to make them. Its so frustrating, I know, with such little support for opting for the non-surgical approach. Something my orthopedic specialist told me really made me think. I asked him if he had ever seen anyone that had healed successfully with a LisFranc injury that had opted not to have surgery. He told me "I don't see those people. I only see those that have surgery or complications from their surgeries." I have another appointment this next week to see how things are going. I am not sure what this will entale since I am only a month in. I feel very positive though and know I feel I have made the right decision for me.

Hi there - I received a Lisfranc injusry at Christmas, six months ago. It sounds as if mine was a bit more severe as I had several bones that were dislocated and out of joint which meant I needed surgery and metalwork to fix me up. If you can find a solution without surgery I would really recommend it as I'm 6 months post surgery and have just had to have another operation to remove metak from the foot. If you're doctor will allow you, perhaps you could look at beginning a physio regime to build the muscle and get you back to normality...

Regards - Mark (UK)

Hi All- I was recently diagnosed with a lisfranc fracture- 4 weeks after the injury- it was first diagnosed as a sprain, than a possible hairline and then a dislocation and now lisfranc- they say it is too late for surgery unless things deteriorate- I have been bearing weight since day two of the injury- does anyone have any success stories or recommendations for recovery that are non surgical- I have been in a boot for the last three weeks but haven't really been doing anything else. It was never casted and was just taped and ace bandaged for the first two weeks. I want to be "back to normal" including light running and welcome any non surgical techniques that have worked for people in a similar situation.

I hurt my foot Aug. 28, 2008. My doc and I thought it was gout but I'm not overweight and had no family history. My entire foot, ankle and toes turned black in turns. Weight bearing was totally unthinkable. I got cruches then started hobbling badly a few weeks later. Now, after 11 weeks, it was diagnosed after xrays and a negative uric acid (gout) blood test. I have little or no pain now except in my ankle. I see the Orthopaedic Surgeon tomorrow but will probably NOT allow an operation even if she wants one. Why? Surgeons like to operate. I'm doing OK. I had orthopaedic surgery on my little finger years ago and it became paralyzed and ugly. It was OK before just not perfect. I'll leave well enough alone this time and expect to reduce my chances of arthritis by not letting someone hack into me and insert screws and wires. I'm walking WELL now with just the slightest limp. I moved furniture and boats last week. Wearing heavy hiking boots helps a lot. Good luck!

It is interesting to hear all of your stories. My husband has a lisfranc dislocation. We are just one week into it. The orthopedic surgeon recommended surgery, but he chose not to go with it. He is non weight bearing for six weeks and wearing a boot. So far so good. He is not in any pain but has alot of swelling and bruising. I am interested to hear how you are all doing today and what your turnout was!

I am three years into my injury. It was mis-diagnosed at first as a sprain, but finally, 2 doctors and 4 months later, it was correctly diagnosed. Two 1/2 years later, after all therapies failed, I consented to surgery. I wore an external fixation for 8 weeks AND one of the screws broke a bone. The result? No change. I am exactly where I was a year ago. I have been to two different Dr.s and both tell me I will eventually need to have it fused. I continue to experience pain and swelling and have arthritis already. Most of the time I can get around OK, so I will put up with the pain and discomfort until it becomes unbearable. My best advice is to find the BEST Dr. for this kind of injury. Don't settle for any orthopedic surgeon or podiatrist. Ask how many patients they have treated with this injury. Good luck to you!

Hi. I am at my 2-year mark for my lisfranc injury. I had a misstep going up on a curb 2 years ago. I too was diagnosed with just a sprain and had negative nonweightbearing x-rays. After months of continued pain, swelling, and eventual arch collapse they finally did an MRI. I was called and told it was negative. After many more months of the same symptoms I saw another doctor who said I probably had osteoarthritis in my foot because I was middle-aged. I was furious by this point and had done my research. I demanded weightbearing x-rays and to be seen by a foot doctor. A year and a half later I finally saw a podiatrist who diagnosed me right away with the lisfranc dislocation. He said my MRI was NOT negative, and whoever told me it was didn't know what they were doing. Even I could see the difference in both feet on my x-rays. Anyway, so now my active lifestyle is not so active. I have given away all of my shoes and have bought new sneakers because that is all I can wear now. I have custom made orthotics with arch supports, and I take Mobic to control the pain and swelling. I cannot run and can only tolerate walking for short periods of time. The podiatrist says I may eventually need a fusion if the pain gets to severe from posttraumatic arthritis. My point is, if my injury would have been properly diagnosed at the beginning I could have had the surgery, and maybe this injury wouldn't be affecting my life so much. I too would love to hear from anyone who has found anything that can help. I would like to stop taking the Mobic and maybe find some herbal alternatives. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Dori

I am at just under 2 weeks post injury and still in alot of pain. I was seen at the urgent care clinic, and of course the doc there said the injury was a sprain only, but recommended I followup with my own doc as soon as possible. Hubby and I already have a podiatrist due to diabetes, and I called his office the next morning. That afternoon I was at his office and they got me right in. He took the ace off the foot, took one look and told me he was pretty certain it was a lis franc, and would take an x-ray to confirm.....as of that day it was stable, and he says if it stays stable I can get away without surgery. I'm to stay off it as much as possible and ice, elevate, ice, elevate, ice, elevate......I think I've iced it so much I've added frostbite to the mix. o.O The foot is still quite swollen but is not quite as black as it has been, much of the bruising has faded....

I'm praying I don't have to have surgery, but I'll know more after the next round of x-rays this next week. From what I've read, I am fortunate that I was able to get diagnosed as quickly as I was.

Overall, this just sucks.

Hello. I am looking for someone with a similar situation...

I injured my right foot while performing 4 days ago. Today I saw an orthopedic specialist who diagnosed the lisfranc tear. I am in a hard cast for two weeks at which time he will see if my 1st and 2nd metatarsals have come back together. If they have not, it will require surgery.

Has anyone out there every recovered enough after 2 weeks in a hard cast that surgery was not required?

Thanks,

Joanna

I got in a car wreck in sept of 2011 and had a broken ankle and lid franc fracture. They wanted to do surgery but I didn't want it as the surgery wouldn't do much more for me then a cast so I stayed in a vast for 6 weeks. It's been 9 months and I still limp and suffer pain sometimes very sharp pains. I have to buy special insoles and special flip flops. This injury is a b***h. Hope others have better results with or without surgery I'm also only 25 so life is going to suck getting older being so young

I am currently in the same boat. I'm three weeks out from my injury and fairly stable. Just wanted to check to see if you'd respond with an update on how your recovery progressed.

I have had cronic foot pain for years (yes years).  I have been to three podiatrists, and 2 sports medicine doctors.  The first 4 told me I had high arches and mild arthritis in my left mid foot.  I have had swelling for the last few months.  I am a runner, and ran my fist marathon last December.  That's when the pain started to get worse and I went back to the doctor.  This time I wasn't about to take the same old "you have high arches and a little arthritis so you should just quit running".  Did I mention I'm only 35?  Anyways I had xrays done and this Doctor said I have signs of a Lisfranc injury.  MRI tomorrow.  I'm getting depressed already.  Anyone have a similar situation who had positive results and was able to return to an active lifestyle (i.e. running)?  I really don't want surgery, and can't stand the thought of having chronic foot pain for the rest of my life...  HELP!