My name is Ram. I had earlier visited many of the posts here in regard to the Lisfranc Surgery. Now having been through all of it, I would like to give some advice for those out here.

I had been through this surgery and had one screw fixed in. Now after nearly 3 months, I can walk with one crutch and can walk without it, but not so easily.

My doctor has now adviced to come back after 3 months to remove it.

If any one needs any help, I will be happy to help any one.

Bye,
Ram

Hi Ram,

I had my surgery on January 15, 2009. Prior to surgery I searched for some chat/patient feedback and frankly, I was not prepared for all the negative posts and doom and gloom! I decided to do my homework and talk to people I knew that had been through foot surgery. I gleened the best advice from all of them and so far everything has been great! I, too am happy to share the tips that have worked for me. I will have stitches removed and screw out of my toe on Monday and see where we go from there. Here are some simple tips that have made my experience positive thus far:

1. Positive thoughts. Think positive and set mini goals. Don't listen to the people that tell you everything will be horrible, you will have a lot of pain and none of the deadlines for walking, etc. will be met.

2. Walkers, shower chair, etc. Go to thrift stores and buy extra equipment for home and/or work. My insurance covered one of everything but at a really good thrift store I purchased 2 extra walkers, a brand new shower chair and a cane for $5.00 each. By having extra pieces one doesn't have to move pieces from room to room.

3. Nerve block during surgery. This is definitely the patient's choice but I agreed to the nerve block from the knee down. My block lasted 36 hours so I have virtually NO PAIN after surgery. Once it did hit, the pain was totally manageable. Stay ahead of the pain with your meds. This is not the time to be a hero either. Pain meds are for pain!

4. Keep your foot elevated! If possible take the first 10 days off work and keep your leg elevated as much as possible. I have done that and did not have any swelliing. Also my foot was not purple nor did blood rush to the foot. I had numerous warnings about all of those items and none occured.

5. Organize. Prior to surgery figure out where to store items that you need to reach yourself. This is key. I have everything I use daily where I can reach it!

6. Showering. I wrap my foot in two small plastic grocery bags covered by a kitchen-sized trash can bag. Water has not leaked through.

7. Listen to your doctor. My MD told me that the inidivuals that have complications or the failure of the procedure generally do not listen to instructions or put weight on the foot too soon.

Feel free to ask me anything else but I plan on staying positive and healing right on schedule!!

Huskerette

I am writing as someone who had a Lisfranc fracture 2 weeks ago to the day. 5 days ago I had ORIF to insert 1 screw and 2 k wires to try and repair the damage I unwittingly caused tripping over our doormat rushing around after my 2 young children. I am really scared about what the future holds for me, although my consultant seemed to think he could achieve a reasonable result with the surgery.
After reading lots of posts (with all the doom and gloom!) I was wondering how you're all progressing, and whether any of you have had some positive outcomes. I am also wondering how soon some of you managed to start driving again after surgery? I have been told I'll be on crutches for 12 weeks, but am unsure what that means in terms of driving straight after, or whether that will be sometime after I come off crutches.
Feel I'm at the start of a long journey and am trying to stay positive, so it would be good to see how you're doing now your initial accidents were quite some time ago...
Thanks all!

To Helen: I had a lisfranc injury and broken metatarsals one year ago. I kept an extensive blog on the recovery process: . You might find it helpful, although there are different kinds of lisfranc injuries! A year after the injury I can walk, hike, balance on the injured foot, etc. There is some stiffness and a bit of pain, nothing crippling. I am still working on increasing leg strength and aerobic capacity, because I lost so much when I couldn't walk. Don't give up, there is hope, but get out of the cast just as soon as the doctor will allow it, get a good physical therapist, and do your exercises!

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Hello All,

I wanted to share my story for all you suffering from a lisfranc injury. I too am one of those 1 in 55,000 that have suffered from a lisfranc injury. I was walking down my stairs early one morning (Sept 22nd) and missed the last last 3 stairs (stepping into the air). I landed on the floor and immediately was in alot of pain. It felt as though I twisted my foot.

I never gave a thought to any serious injury. I immediately hobbled to the freezer and pulled out an icepak. I then sat on the couch for about a half hour. My family came down stairs around that time and asked what had happened. Again, I blew it off as though it were possibly a sprained foot of some sort. 2 weeks passed. I continued to walk on the foot but struggled with the pain abit. Friends encouraged me to go to the doc for an xray saying I needed to find out if something was broken. Reluctantly, I finally went. Having no health insurance since last December I wasnt anxious to incur a bill. Anyways, the foot and ankle specialist did an xray and gave me the news. It looked suspicious so he ordered an MRI. MRI showed the lisfranc ligament was loose under the first and second metatarsals. Surgery was the recommendation. Doc wanted to put in 1 screw to stabilize the foot and give me the best chance of recovery. I am a 43 year old female who has NEVER had surgery for anything EVER. I was very much afraid. I asked about alternatives and was told a hard cast would be an option but would not give the desired outcome that surgery would. I thought he was being overreactive. I sat on the info for 1 week and stewed. I still couldnt walk well so I decided to bite the bullet.

Surgery was performed 3 weeks to the day of the initial injury. Swelling had already subsided from the initial injury. Doc was FANTASTIC. Surgery went extremely well. One screw, one small incision. No pain immediately after surgery. No pain really ever to speak of. I was pre-emptive with the meds. Took them ahead of the pain. That was the advice everyone gave so I took it. I am not a pill popper so that was a tough one for me too. I took Percocet as Vicodin makes me SICK! I am now 11 days post op. Had a little swelling today. I am in an AirCast. Will be in the AirCast for a total of 4 weeks NON WEIGHT BEARING. After that, I am told 2 weeks of beginning WEIGHT BEARING. I am interested to see if I will be able to walk okay.

The hardest thing has been my stairs. I have 3 sets of stairs that go to my bedroom on the upper floor. I crawl up the stairs. I have a walker upstairs, a walker downstairs, a leg caddy for my main floor, and a wheel chair or crutches for going outdoors. I pray alot. I try to learn from this experience how I can help others who are PERMANENTLY in a wheel chair or who can never walk again. It is very sobering.

I want to let you all know there is hope. Attitude is EVERYTHING. You can do anything you set your mind to. Keep the faith.

UPDATE ON LISFRANC INJURY.
I went in yesterday for my 2nd surgery for lisfranc injury. This time was for hardward removal. One screw only to remove. Its been almost 6 months since the initial injury. Harware was in for 4 1/2 months. It feels great to have the screw out. I am hoping to have my foot feel better now. It had recovered nicely but I always knew the screw was in. I could kind of feel it. Now, it's a matter of time before full recovery can take place. I am grateful for such a wonderful doc. He did a FANTASTIC JOB!!!

I am another one of the lucky people who experienced a lis franc injury. Just like missedstair, I also fell, early in the morning, after missing the last stair or two! And it was almost the same day! Mine was 9/27/10. I did go to the E/R that day and was diagnosed with a sprain. It bruised terribly on the sides and bottom of my foot; as well as my toes (top & bottom). I walked around on my injured right foot for 5 weeks and then finally decided it was time to go back to the doctor. Found out I needed surgery and it was scheduled for 2 weeks from that dr's visit. I ended up having FOUR screws put into my foot on 11/12/10. This is my right foot, so I knew immediately no driving for a very long time. No weight on my foot at all until 12/23/10, then used the crutches through the first week in January. Began physical therapy on 1/14/11 and am still in therapy until the present time March 2011! I am progressing quite well in therapy, but cannot wait until the screws come out, as I can constantly feel the screws. All four of them! Screws are scheduled to come out in May, so one more month......I'm still experiencing some pain and discomfort when walking, but the physical therapy is helping tremendously. Hoping that when the screws finally are removed I will be able to have increased mobility. . . . let's see!

Hi
I am so glad that I have found this thread. I have read all the negative and scary long journey of people with no good outcome. I have cried myself to sleep for days. I Have this injury and have two screws put in a little over a week ago. I fell coming downstairs and was at first told i had a sprain, then some little fractures, upon going to specialist, he sent me to another. Final was diagnosed and got stuff rolling. I knew it would take time and healing, but  I never expected how many people don't walk, walk with limp, have no mobility, going on two years and still using crutches.  I am a mom and wife . I have three little girls and the fact of never running, jumping, dancing scares me to death. My husband keeps saying it will be okay. I am also stressing. We removed the bandages from my surgery my incisions are small, not much pain. A dull ache, some jerking (maybe due to nerves), and a little numbness in big toe. I have no cast of any kind on. doctor said he wanted it free wanted to move my ankle as much as i could try some toes. No weight, i use crutches and wheelchair. I read the screws had to come out before weight bearing my doctor wants to leave them in forever, unless i have trouble with them ( i have been stressing due to this because what if they break or he is wrong.) I trusted my doctor he is greseat until i read everything else now scared. Most people don't begin weight bearing for 12 weeks. He wants to start me in four, says i can be without crutches and back to work by the end of September. According to all the stories i read this has not seemed possible or sounded right. Hopefully he is correct, with alot of hard work, and faith, I can have the outcome you all have had, and full mobility. Thanks for sharing your stories. :)

I am 23 years old and have a lisfranc fracture like you all. I was playing a game and tackled a very big guy like a football tackle. I just had surgery 5 weeks ago and didn't think that it was as bad until reading everyone's stories. I ended up getting a plate and 7 screws. I am now in a cast hoping to come out of it next week, but there is a possibility it could be in it for couple more weeks in a cast and no weight bearing. I first hurt it the end of  June 2011 and didn't have surgery till the first week of August. I have already been on crutches for about 3 months. They waited so long to do surgery for a couple of reasons. When it happened I was out of the country in Australia and then when I came back to the states I was on vacation. Then I had to wait to see a surgeon. The first x-rays seemed pretty good, but when I went back a couple weeks later the bones had moved and were not healing in the right position so they had to do surgery. I have one large incision almost the whole length of my foot and then another small one. What I wanted to know was about pain. It seemed like alot of people have not had much pain. I have been in pain since June. Even after the surgery its been 5 weeks and I am still in pain. It of course is much better than it has but I want to know when the pain will go away. There are times that it will hurt so bad I want to cry and I only try to take pain meds like percocets at night and tylenol during the day. Is there something better than tylenol? like Advil? or Aleve? I have had a positive outlook for the most part during the summer...traveled alot and now I am going back to school (I do have a scooter to get around campus!) but the pain is really getting to me. Been in pain a long time and just want to know when it will stop...

Quick tip: found it very helpful to get a temporary disabled parking permit placard from the RMV!

-Teri

I fell on an uneven section of pavement in front of my daughters school on May 10,2011. I had my 8 month old son in my arms when it happened, so I did everything to protect him. Thank God he was fine. I went to the ER and they diagnosed it as a sprain, sent me off with crutches and pain pills and said I would be fine in a week or so. So, I walked around on it for a month before I finally submitted to my pain and the fact that I knew something was wrong. With no health insurance I was reluctant to start incurring the bills. But, the protrusion from my middle right foot was bothering me and I knew it was more than a sprain. So sure enough the podiatrist I went to discovered it was a LisFrancs injury. He did a weight bearing xray which showed the dislocation. He sent me for a CT scan to get more details of how much was involved. CT scan showed ruptured ligaments and lots of debris from cartilage. He recommended surgery ASAP. Said he needed to fuse the metatarsals back together and clean out debris, which would likely entail a few screws and maybe a plate. I had the surgery on July 8, was in a non-weight bearing cast for 8 weeks, then a walking boot. I am currently using one crutch and the walking boot. During the 8 weeks of the cast, I rented a rolling knee scooter to get around which is a heck of a lot easier than damn crutches!! I start PT in about 2 weeks. I will definitely tell you that the depression set in early on and I do think the pain pills played a part in that. I was initially on percocet after surgery. I wanted off of those fast though because I could tell that I could easily become addicted due to the warm feeling it gave me. But, the side effects were unpleasant enough to make me want to get off. I had hot flashes, crazy ass nightmares that were very vivid and not good. So, after 2 weeks, I switched to Vicodin which was not as strong. My pain was sharp shooting like electrical surges, then sometimes just a dull cramping feeling. After about 6 weeks, I didn't seem to need any pain meds. Only once in a while as needed. My family kept me going too. Knowing that I have to be strong for them, 2 kids and a hubby, helped me persevere. Now, I can't wait to start PT. 
There is hope!
- Caroline

Where is your blog

Hi, Could I ask you what the costs are financially for this surgery?

Hi Ram,
My son is 16 yrs old is a soccer player has a 1mm dislocation between 1st and 2nd met joint, it has been 4 months since injury just diagnosed correctly 10 days ago had 2 ortho specialists docs with 2 different opinions one surgery 1 screw 3 months nwb and removal total 5-6 months total other ortho doc said it is too late to do surgery and does not recommend. my gut says do the surgery because he has had several unstable moments with horrific pain then it will "heal" and eventually be able to walk on it with out so much pain. I just want him to be able to live life, he is an athlete and the 2nd doc has told him his soccer career is over basically. Just want to make the right choice figuring we have one shot at this. Sorry for the run on sentences, just blogging a lot and sending massive emails to family
Sally

Surgery is the only real option, only which one...fusion, ORIF, or tightrope? I just had the screws removed, 5 months post ORIF, and am slowly getting back to walking again. Without going too long and into to much detail about my injury, issues or progress, as a very active athlete and, after reading the posts on the Lisfranc Fusion part of this site, I wish I would've just skipped the ORIF and risks of it's success and went straight for the fusion. I feel pretty good that my outcome will be one of the better ones, but lots of athletes seem to be doing very well compared to those who had ORIF. I've spent countless hours on different websites and blogs and that's my two cents...

So glad I 'stumbled' on this page.  I have a lisfranc fracture, not really sure when or how.  Just know that I was in pain for awhile prior to seeing dr who said I needed to do foot exercises.  This didn't work so went to specialist who said it was just a nerve irritation and was giving me shots in the foot.  Finally got to the point after a couple more months that it was unbearable (I work full time on my feet) and I went to a 3rd dr who found the break.  He's had me in a boot for 5 weeks, but says that I have a lot of fragments and the break is old so it isn't healing.   He seems a little hesitant, or maybe I'm imagining it, to do surgery.  Has anyone tried a bone stimulator?