Hello everyone! I can't believe that so many people have the same problem. I fell and broke my foot 3 years ago. 5 screws and 2 pins later I'm still having problems. Bones keep shifting. Part of my foot has been fused together. Bones taken out. I am in pain most of the time and can't walk very well without shoes. The problem is that my job requires me to stand most of th time. I have been into surgery 4 times and still going. I can't take much more. Has anyone else had this problem? Advice needed.
Thanks,
Lucky ;-)

Hi there,

Well I am sad to hear your story--it's been almost 5 years now for me since my first surgery. It took a whole year and two surgeries (not to mention orthotics, boots, and casts) to get back to walking freely. I've always had pain; some days worse than others. Unfortunately, though, I've been experiencing a marked increase in pain here lately and just tonight I noticed bruising in the 1st metatarsal joint (big toe joint). It also seem that my bones have been shifting. I've just been trudging through the pain though, cause I'm afraid of what I'll hear the doctor say. I have an 11 month old son I take care of at home and I just don't know how I'll cope if I have another surgery and end up in a cast again.
In addition, I had my first surgery just two weeks before I got married and was on crutches/boot during my wedding. Not very glamourous! Therefore my dream honeymoon was spent in a wheelchair. Now my husband and I are finally going to get to go on a second honeymoon (since we figured I wouldn't be crippled this time around) and now my foot is starting up again.
grrr! sorry, but had to vent my frustration to those who know! 8-|

Hi All,

I feel over onto the sidewlak while lifiting my 5 year old who was having a tandrum...I lost balance and we both went over. This was 3 weeks ago. I had pain,bruising and swelling right away in my left foot, and I couldn't even touch it to the ground.

I went to the ER they took an xray and said nothing was broken. He referred me to a Foot Ankle Surg (private DR paid cash) and he removed the hard split and Ace bandage (from the ER) and put me in a boot. He examined but I forgot to bring the xrays and he said probably didn't need surgery but to email the xrays which I did. He said they were blurry but I had a Lisfranc dislocation and need to stay in the boot.

Then 3 weeks later my HMO cleared to see another Dr an Ortho Surg and he did a weight baring xray and said I need surgery right away and screws and pins had to be put in to fix it. I came home in tears and started reading info online including your posts.

Now I really don't know what to do. The Dr said without surgery I am definately going to develop arthritis and complications even if I can walk on it. He said with surgery I have a far less chance of any problems.

Now I read your posts and NO one here has a positive outcome from surgery. It sounds agonizing to have the pins in and then you guys still don't walk well or have your normal use of the foot back even after YEARS!!! OMG this is a permenant injury???

If those of you who had surgery had it to do over would you still go through with it? WHAT WOULD YOU DO DIFFERENTLY?I may just very well call it off and take my chances...please share advice and comments...thanks so much!

I have not had surgery. I am 16 weeks into my lisfranc dislocation and still not better. I am improving and can only hope for the best.

Hello, my husband has been diagnosed 15-16 months ago with lisfranc damage to both feet! He has a history of gout to both ankles, occ. knee, and rt.elbow(18 yrs). He has worked in factories all his life, climbing on machinery and ladders to fix them. He has been unable to return to work, and the Dr. he sees has told him that surgery to fuse the bones with decrease his ROM to his feet. He is 41 yrs. old with the feet of a 65yr. old.
He also has developed arthritis in his feet/ankles.He has gained weight and needs to lose it, can any one suggest any exercises that he can do without damaging his feet/ankles anymore?He has trouble with depression/pain. Thank you for letting me vent.

Hello, I'm nearly 3 years out from a lisfranc injury. I was misdiagnosed as is common in these injuries and had no surgery.
At this stage the only option I have is to fuse a few bones together to ease the pain a bit.
I too, stand all day and this is killing me, even a few minutes here and there to sit down makes a huge difference.
I have two pair of orthotics and 5 pairs of shoes that I rotate every hour or so, choosing shoes and orthotic depending on which bit hurts the most.
Unfortunately my orthotics are now hurting my hips and I shall have to try something else or start taking days off.
Don't wait, look into surgery immediately, you may only need a couple of screws for a while and have a great recovery.

This may very well be a permanent problem for you as it is for many.
But look around at your options as there is a very small window of time to choose the surgery option.

I can relate very well with what you're going threw. I broken 3 bones in my foot and crush a few on the side in 06 waited 10 months to have 5 screws and 3 pins placed in to fuse my foot together.Am in morer pain now than ever before. The bad part is I have to live with these items in my foot for the rest of my life.So i wish someone could tell me how to deal with the stiffness aches burning for this foot and is their any relief will it ever get better. Here it is Dec of 08 and nothing seems to help it. Good Luck and I hope you find comfort oneday.

Hi, no good news from me either! I slipped on ice 13 years ago and landed on my left foot. My lisfranc was misdiagnosed for a week. My first fusion surgery was 2 weeks later. I did pretty well for 10 years. Never completely pain free but OK. I was never able to wear heals again but at this point that's minor!
I started having increasing pain and went to a specialist about 3 years ago. Some of the pins were broken with obvious non-fusions. I guess I should have stayed off ladders and been more careful with my foot. :-(
I had a second surgery where the pins were removed and all mt were fused with screws. The pain was worse after this surgery than before. I had the screws removed about 9 months later. This doctor also caused some nerve damage. I've come to find out the doctor who performed that surgery was not very good for complicated procedures.

After continued pain and swelling for 2 years I just had my third fusion performed. It was on 12/16. I have higher hopes for this one. The surgeon was highly recommended and the newer bone growth hormones are much better now. That being said, I'm in bed with my foot proped
up above my heart level and it hurts like heck. I just had the real cast put on yesterday. I'm off my foot completely for 3 months. As we all know the recovery for this is very slow. Merry Christmas!!!! I didn't want to spend it in bed. :-(

Jes

My wife injured her left foot 18 months ago. She's had 4 surgeries with a 5th one coming up. Thank god its a workmans comp thing, but her boss has also fired her because of it. She's in constant pain.
I asked the doc if we've paid off his house yet and if we're now shopping for his/hers mercedes, he didnt find it very funny.
has anyone had similar problems too? I'm wondering if it's the doc which is the problem....he doesn't listen very well and won't answer "common sense " questions.
(Oh by the way, 2 weeks after my wifes accident...I had a heart attack...so my recovery has sucked through this)

Read the March 15th, 2009 post. What type of surgeries did your wife have to have done? Was it a foot injury only 18 months ago? My husband is 9 months out and no one seems to know "how much longer" the pain will go on Certainly don't get many answers from the Doctor.

It's been 2 years and I still don't have any relief. From the posts, it seems like bone fusion is not the way to go... I've had a doctor recommend it and I'm glad I didn't go through with it after reading these posts. The pain becomes unbearable at times and it seems like the doctors don't listen and don't believe me when I tell them. I fell on 3/15/07 and was diagnosed that same week with the lis franc fracture in my left foot. On 3/31/07 I had the first surgery to insert 2 screws and 1 pin. I was put in a cast after surgery and then put in a boot about 2 weeks later. I was non weight bearing for 90 days. There were days I just cried because I was so worn out from the whole experience. On 9/30/07 I had the screws and pin removed; I do think it hurt more then. On 3/31/08 I had another surgery where the podiatrist shaved the bone down and did some other stuff in there. After this surgery, the nerve damage became unbearable. Just putting lotion on top of that scar and around it sends painful shock waves through my foot. On 12/30/08 another doctor cut the nerve in my foot; he said it would make the nerves near that scar go numb... it didn't work. I am going to see a new orthopedic surgeon in a few days. Hopefully he will be able to help. I do think it has to do with which doctor you get. From articles, lis franc injuries seem to take a lot of football players out for the season. But it would seem that these guys are provided the best doctors available. Are they going through all of these problems and pain like us so 2, 3 and 4 years later? There has to be a doctor out there that knows how to fix a lis franc fracture and alleviate all of our issues.

Hi fellow Lisfranc-ers,

I am 5 months post surgery (ORIF). I did the non weightbearing for 3 months and had 2 weeks of physical therapy. I went back to see the physician before going full weight bearing. He took x-rays, asked me if I could walk and I walked across the room. He asked if I was in pain and I said no. At that point he told me I was done with treatment and did not have to come back to see him or go back to physical therapy. This appointment lasted about 5 minutes. I may have been too anxious to get off the crutches but my foot swells up and hurts if I stand for more than 5 minutes and the only shoes I can wear are tennis shoes to compress the swelling. Everything else, forget about it. Apart from the pain in my injured foot, I have developed serious pain in my right knee (my left foot was injured). I am wondering if this has something to do with me hopping and putting all the weight on that knee for 3 months????

Hello all,

I suffered from a lisfranc fracture and this is the ONLY thing that took away the burning sensation on my foot:

Hope this helps!!!

http://www.gebauerco.com/Default.asp?strAction=FAQ

Just curious how everybody is fairing that had surgery, especially fusions... anybody with problems in the lateral side of their feet that are better/worse?

Hi there, just posting to say I'm around to offer words of encouragement. A good friend of mine underwent the surgery a long time ago (like back when I was in third grade so that's almost a million years ago by now) and that it seemed to take her about a year before she was totally back up and running. I think it was because they actually missed the injury initially so I think things were made worse before they figured it out. How are you doing?