Hello, this is not my first post but long story short, I had a traumatic panic attack 2 years ago while high which occured when I was 19. I have improved greatly and haven't smoked in 4 and a half months now. I had fairly severe depersonalization and anxiety but I've really only had the one panic attack. Before my attack I loved weed, I would smoke very often but eventually I experienced the out of the blue panic attack and ever since that day I don't enjoy smoking. I've been through quite a bit of traumatic events in my life, my brother dying and me being attacked on the street by a bunch of guys is a couple. Ever since my attack I have improved greatly and I am very obsessed with being healthy and bodybuilding but my one main issue with anxiety is consiously focusing on my breath which is very annoying. It feels like I'm controlling my breath even though I'm not because your body takes breathing over. I tend to feel a little anxious daily and I am getting better at accepting panic and anxiety now and I try to just let it happen which makes me feel better.

I don't feel very depersonalized anymore but I can't stop focusing on my breath which is very annoying! By the way, I am now 21 years old and I am currently attending university. While writing exams I freak out and get very nervous. I feel like I will have a panic attack but don't. I've always been a chronic worrier and stresser but I have started meditating and learning new skills which have helped but not completely fix. Also, before my attack I had severe self-esteem issues because I was very overweight. Still do this day I have insecurites and I am obsessed with how I look. Thanks for taking the time to read this! Looking forward to hear from you guys.

more than depersonalization, it sounds to me like you're having issues with anxiety. Anxiety is pretty nasty in a sense that it's basically a fear, but that fear is not caused by any outside, real threat to which you can respond. Instead, it raises your adrenaline, tightens up your muscles, changes your breathing - practically puts your body in a 'fight or flight' response, but since there is nothing you can fight or run away from, you end up with anxiety symptoms.

Your complaints about the breathing are something that perfectly fit all other anxiety sufferer's stories, so my advice - if you can, get to a counselor or a psychologist so you can learn how to recognize anxiety attack and successfully fight it off,

Wish you all the best,

Nicole

Thanks for your response. I have been waiting to see a therapist for almost 2 years now and still no callbacks. I don't have a family doctor at the moment but I'm trying to find one. Where I live, there aren't too many available doctors which is very unfortunate.

It really is unfortunate, mainly because regardless of your marijuana use, the symptoms related to breathing that you're experiencing now are really typical for anxiety and there are easy ways to treat both the symptoms and anxiety. Is there a way to see a counselor at your university? There should be one.

There is one but she doesn't help nor understand me enough. I'd like to see a licensed professional but they are hard to find here unless you pay :(