This post is an extension of the

Marijuana - permanent anxiety? thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I'm not sure if it has permanent effects but after coming off it a friend of mine was very paranoid and quite twitchy but after about 3-4 months seems fine.

I just recently quit smoking after 2 years moderate and heavy use. I have quit for weeks and a month at a time before and was perfectly normal. Recently I quit and a few weeks later while sitting at work I had a major panic attack. It took over my world. I was able to calm myself down rather quickly as I have had minor panic attacks before and knew what was going on. Since then I have been worrying constantly. Any minor thing my body does I get scared and think it could be something major. I think it's my bodys reaction to the anxiety and while bored at work that seems to be all I can think about. My heart will start to skip a beat and then it worsens causing my heart to skip more which increases my anxiety and snowballs to the point I just have to get up and walk to get my mind on something else.

I left work one day and went to the doctor and was given anti-anxiety meds. They have helped with the physical feelings of anxiety and panic attacks but I am worried that my problems will come back as soon as I go off the meds. It's so very frustrating because I was enjoying life so much before that one panic attack and now my anxiety have flipped my life upside-down. It's hard to live a normal life and I have talked with my family and friends but I don't think any of them understand how bad it really is or how worried I am that it will never go away.

Since it has started I have gotten very depressed and was given anti-depression pills. I took half a pill and found out they come with sexual side-effects. I decided that depression was a better alternative and ditched those. I have been feeling better since the anti-anxiety pills have kicked in and my depression seems to have reduced. I still have lingering worries that this will never go away. I try to think positive and force any negative thoughts or anxiety cycles out of my head but it's difficult. Has anyone been able to recover from this and lead a normal life without medication? I can handle this in short term but if it's long term then I am not sure how I could handle such a thing.

Guest wrote:

Wow, you sound like you're going through almost exactly what I went, and am still going, through. I smoked weed for about 8 or 9 years before I suddenly had a panic attack. My first one was with friends on a cold night in an outdoor jacuzzi. It was too hot to stay in the water, but too cold to sit on the edge, so all the sudden my body just sorta flipped out. I went inside and had all the crazy symptoms that everyone's described (pounding heart, feeling like I was going to die, hyperventilating, etc). It took hours for me to calm down, if my girlfriend wasn't there and helping me by just walking around the house with me I don't know what I would have done!

Anyway, after that night I didn't smoke for about a month. Then I was home with my girlfriend and decided to give it another try. I attributed the panic attack to the whole jacuzzi thing and hoped that would be the last of it. So I gave it another shot... but low and behold, I had another panic attack... just as bad, if not worse than the first one!

After that I decided to never smoke ever again. That was a little over 2 years ago and I haven't smoked since. But I did start to feel weird all the time. It's hard to explain... I've since dubbed it "weird-head". I'd just get very light headed and dis-attached from reality, for lack of a better description.

I had crazy things going through my head that I might have some sort of tumor or something. So I went to the doctor and started having a buncha tests done. But after all the blood work, the CAT scan, and finally the MRI... the doctors found nothing wrong. I was diagnosed as having an anxiety disorder. :?

I've been taking Lexapro since then... and it has helped. But I have the same worries... will I be on this stuff forever?!

I've recently been considering trying weed again. My girlfriend still smokes it, and has for many years without a problem. And I must admit, I miss it. So I started researching it and here I am. I've thought that maybe if I try smoking just a tiny bit, I'll be ok. We'll see. But I too hope to someday get off these damn meds.

Good luck, man... you're not alone! 8)

i had an anxiety attack 3 years ago that lasted 6 days. i could not eat or sleep and i lost 10 lbs during those 6 days. at the time i was smoking about a quarter of chron a day [a BF of mine was slangin it]. ever since that i have never had an "attack" like that but get anxiety every now and then. especially when PMSing......

i think i smoked so much weed it maybe gave me anxiety for the rest of my life. but atleast it is not unbearable. that attack i had 3 years ago was so horrible i wanted to die. i hope you figure things out. i know how scary it can be.

oh...and i forgot....i think you should not start smoking again. after my 'attack' i quit for 9 months....but i started up again and it just messed with me even more. sometimes would give me anxiety....sometimes it would not. i think it is better to try and be completely sober. but i was even thinking about going on some type of anxiety meds like you. either way...if you start smoking again...it is just playing with fire. my husband smokes marijuana too, but today he told me he is going to quit as well. i am so happy. again, i hope you figure things out.

I agree with the post above about the marijuana just bringing out other anxiety's in your life.

I had been a heavy marijuana smoker for about 4 years. Through this time I have had a lot of traumatic and emotionally bruising things happen in my life. Also, on a side note, I am some what of a hypochondriac.

I know this topic about marijuana but the first anxiety attack I had was while I was on shrooms. It was the first and only time I have tried it, which was about 3-4 months ago. I had a severe panic attack which lasted for about 4-5 hours. The panic attack started because I threw up because the shrooms made me sick. After that it was just a constant fear that I was dying. After about 2 hours my fear of dying was started to subside. Then this severe feeling of depression came over me. I couldn't believe what I had let me life come to, hadn't had a girlfriend in 2-3 years, thought about how sad and disappointed my parents would and are feeling about me. After the drug started to wear off I came back to reality and was super tired. I slept for about 18-24 hours. When I woke up I thought I was fine.

Later that day it seemed like my hypochondriac mind set had gotten a lot worse. I didn't smoke weed, drink, I even quit cigarettes for about a week.

I eventually decided to smoke some marijuana again and everything was fine. After about 2 months one of my friend wanted to try some of this "legal" bud with me. Its suppose to be like the kind of high as marijuana but anyway.. we smoked a bowl of it and everything seemed fine. I went down stairs to get a Dr. pepper out of the frig and then I noticed my heart was beating really fast. Panic set in almost immediately. I thought I was having a heart attack. I just leaned over the counter for about 30-45 mins breathing real fast and constantly telling myself that nothing was wrong with me I just needed to calm down. Well, sure enough I calmed down as the high started to wear off. I still had a fear in the back of mind that something else was wrong with me. I kept having flash backs of the panic attack I had while on shrooms. I went home after the high had wore off, it was about 4 in the morning, and I just laid in bed till about lunch time before I finally passed out.

When I woke up all I could think about was this going to happen when I smoked marijuana now. Sure enough the very next time I smoked marijuana I had a small panic attack that lasted about 20 mins. I kept telling myself I just got to get used to high again. Smoke lesser amounts. Well, it worked for about 3 weeks. I had no panic attacks and thought everything was back to normal. So I decided to smoke a blunt of some super dank bud one of my friends had. Me, him and 3 other people just passed it around and we got super stoned. After about 20 minutes I noticed my heart was beating very fast again. I started shaking severely and sweating real bad. All I could think about was not freaking out infront of my friends because I didn't want them to think I was crazy or something. I just sat there for about 10 minutes shaking bad and sweating and finally decided to go inside and get in the air-conditioner and cool off. I went in and it felt like I turned into a ice cube when I walked in and I started shaking even worse. I went to the fridge and got a bottle of water and went to his music room and laid down on his cough. I just laid there for about 45 minutes shaking and sweating bad. The shaking finally subsided and I went back outside but my muscles were so tired it was hard to move. I was fine after that.

The next day however I was taking a shower around 6-7 pm and I had a sudden feeling that I was going to pass out then I panicked. I went into the living room and laid on the couch and just kept telling myself nothing was wrong I just needed to calm down. I couldn't. After about 15 minutes my mom came in and was wondering what was wrong. I pretty much started crying and was shaking so bad I said I think I am having a heart attack. She freaked out and called the ambulance. This only amplified my fear that I was having a heart attack by a ton. I just got up and paced the living room for about 10 mins waiting for the ambulance to get there scared to death. When the ambulance finally got there and they check my heart rate my heart was beating 170 beats per minute and rising. I passed out in the ambulance from shock on the way to hospital. I came to about a hour later. They released me from the hospital about 6-7 hours later after they figured everything was fine. I could not sleep at all. I just had a constant fear that if I went to sleep I would die plus I was constantly listening and feeling how hard and fast my heart was beating. Surely enough I finally got up to use the bathroom and it started again. I was lightheaded and I had another severe panic attack. My mom drove me the hospital and they put me up into the chest pain care unit. They kept me for about 3 days running all kinds of test, x-rays and sonograms of my heart. The heart doctor finally came in and said there was nothing wrong with my heart so they released me. I swore that I would quit smoking, drinking and no more sodas or anything else with caffeine.

After that for about a week I was terrified of taking a shower. I would have small panic attacks just thinking about taking one. I couldn't eat anything, I was constantly shaking and telling myself the doctors were wrong there has to be something wrong with me, why else would I feel like this. Gradually as the days went by I was feeling better and better. Besides from the nicotine withdraws I was feeling almost completely back to normal. Then I was sleeping one night and had a sleep paralysis episode for about 5-6 seconds which felt like hours and it freaked me out. I came to having a severe panic attack. After that I couldn't sleep for days. Then I got online and started doing research on all the things I was experiencing. Just reading all the experiences of other people and finding out this wasn't only happening to me brought me great comfort.

Its been a month and 8 days since the last time I smoked weed, a cigarette, drank or had anything with a lot of sugar and/or caffeine in it. I still feel minor anxiety and sometimes I feel anxious but I have slowly started to pick back up with my social life and eating habits. Over the month span I went from weighing 235 pounds to 201 pounds. I am not taking any medication or seeing a psychiatrist nor have I ever. I think its all mind of matter, I guess. I just tell myself now all the time that nothing is wrong with me. I am healthy and have no reason to be scared. I mean it doesn't work all the time and I might freak out for a few seconds but I can calm myself down a lot faster then I use to be able to. Just constantly trying to have a positive attitude about yourself and life in general can work miracles. When I did drugs I was depressed and hated life. Since I had the panic attacks I have had a new perspective on life. I don't just sit around killing myself anymore. I try to have a positive attitude about everything I do now. I use to be severely lazy and procrastinated horrifically. Now if someone needs me or wants me to do something I get on it immediately. I find that keeping myself busy doing something physically keeps my mind from raising and having anxious thoughts.

Hopes this helps someone.

I am really to scared to go see a psychiatrist. My dad went to see one and they prescribed him to anxiety meds and he has been on a downward slope ever since. I don't want to get prescribed to something and end up taking it for the rest of my life. One of my pep-peeves I have had with drugs is to do marijuana and that its. When I had did shrooms it was a stupid idea and have never thought about doing again. And the be honest I am to scared to do any other drugs. I am already a hyper enough person as it is, I don't need something else to boost it. That's why I have never taken any pills, beside like aspirin, my whole life and I don't want to get prescribed to something.

I am concerned on what I should do but to be honest I am actually feeling about 80% back to normal.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

RachelAnne wrote:

I totally totaly agree with this. Did you know that marijuana can actually deplete your body's natural store of serotonin? That is associated with causing derpession. How long have you been off marijuana now?

healthnfitnessguy wrote:

RachelAnne wrote:

It has been 3 months since I have smoked and I have gotten a lot better. I did slip and ended up coming home rather drunk and smoked with my friend cause it was his birthday. I have weened myself off the anti anxiety meds after my doctor suggested it. I don't really have panic attacks anymore, I have learned everything that causes them and mitigated the fear associated with every trigger I can control. I used to have a lot of physical sensations(chest pains, numbness in arms, sweating, heart racing, muscles twitching) but now that my anxiety has subsided all of these have lessened or gone away. I feel like I can finally start to get my normal life back and concentrate on fixing other issues. It feels great being at this point when months earlier I felt like things wouldn't ever get better and that I would be stuck like that forever.

I am still thinking about smoking again, but I will only do it on special occasions so hopefully it won't be often enough to cause problems. I have tried getting my room mates to cut back. One of them is already a very anxious person, their mother definately has an anxiety disorder so I don't want to see him go through what I did. Perhaps when you go from heavy smoking the lack of serotonin in your brain causes you to get depressed and it's more difficult to relieve stress which triggers that one really bad panic attack that sends you into the look of anxiety, fear and panic attacks.

i dont remeber the first panic attck i had but i remember the one i had last sat. Ive been a reg MJ smoker for about 7 years now. started smoking for depression and it was just the thing to do.(my dad has been a pot smoker since i can remeber). anyways i moved out of state a month ago and got a suppply before i left....well i ran out two days before i was suppose to. i went crazy having panic attacks(im quite the hypocondiac myself) i thought i was dieing. well we went back home and i got my supply some really awesome stuff! went to my dads sat down smoked a bowl or two!!!(was great to taste it again) well ten min later my heart was pounding out of my chest, agian thought i was dieing! i washed my face couldnt breathe couldnt move. finally i passed out. i swore that night i wasnt gonnna smoke again. sold my stash went to the doc told him everything and he put me on xanex(which i already had a acript cause ive always had minor panic problems due to the hypocondriac) went through withdrawal for about six days...now im on day 8! today is my first day without a panic attack and taking any xanex. Its night now im getting kinda scared cause i dont want to have one and i know i tend to think to much before i sleep and i dont wanna send myself into a panic attack.
i love pot so much im irritated that i cant smoke and im scared to smoke now cause of that. i went from one to two grams a day to nohting its been so hard. and im just in the begining!!!!!
oh i forgot to mention the doc gave me anti deressants to something that started with a C. i took it that night...the next morning i woke up to my heart beating out of my chest cold sweats! my eyes were black as night wouldnt dialate..and i was as pale as i ghost. i passed out in the living room floor.NEVER again will i take an anti deprssant. it happened to me when i was seventeen to when i got out of rehab for valium and weed. they put me on prozac! same thing happened and they put me on the generic...which never did a damn thing.

im pretty sure pot causes anxiety not a doc thought but from all the stuff on here i can pretty much see that it does. i will prob try and smoke again around my birthday in a couple months but not like i did. ive been spending bout four to five hundred dollars on it a month. i only smoke dro...but when i cant get that i would smoke shwag and have to smoke more of it.

i know i had small anxiety attacks while smoking but i just related it to the pot and didnt think anythign big because they werent that big. i know though there types of weed that causes anxiety and there are the more mellow types(lazy weed) i prefer the lazy weed now(which is mostly just shwag). i dont know if this helps but it helps me to talk about it.

i just hope everyday is like today. i know it wont be but trying to stay positve is helping. also being sober is just a weird feeling since im not use to it anymore so i keep thinking something is wrong just cause im sober lol! man this is just a on going cycle thta never ends isnt it.. but giving up is not an option when i have two little boys to take care of.

i hope they dont get my flaws. i hope theyre not depressed ppl and have anxiety problems. oh seeing a phsychiatrist is helping talking about my depression and everything including my withdrawal. i dont want to get hooked on the xanex. i dont think i will, i dont like pills anymore like i did in high school. so ive been tryin to take as little as possibe, but it takes the edge off.

Vangie I hear a lot of worry in your post. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better but it sounds like your'e still somewhat anxious which is normal. It doesn't last forever, trust me. I think the best thing to do is just talk to your kids. They'll have flaws too. Just make sure they know about them so they become strengths and not weakenesses. Tell them about how pot messes your family up. Be open with them. They will respect you for it. And I don't think you'll get hooked on Xanax, but do what works and what helps, okay? And keep me posted, okay?

i started using mj when i had just turned 20. i became a heavy user smoking at least once a day (usualy two or three times)for about a year. i quite using mj for 4 months to get it out of my system so i could pass a drug test for a new job, and everything was fine i didnt have any problems stopping, no depression, anxiety or hard time sleeping. i started using mj again after those 4 months and i started heavy using everyday up to three times a day like i was before i stopped. i tryed shrooms for the first time about two months ago, it was horrible and one of the worst experiences i've ever had, it really set me straight and i thought i'll just stick to mj and never do another type of drug. after the shroom, i had a bit of anxiety, but i didn't really notice till the night my mother admitted to me she used to be a huge drug addict and stopped because she had me. that night i had my first anxiety attack (or panic attack) its a horrifying thing and it felt like everything was bad, nothing would get better, that the feeling would last forever and everything was closing in. i stopped using mj for about a week and started taking vitamins, such as inositol caps, b-100, 5-htp tryptophan, a multi vitamin and the omega 3 fish oil stuff. this helped a good amount and i felt almost normal but there was still lingering anxiety. after about a week my friend and i hung out and she was excited to smoke, cause it was her first time in a few months (she was getting a job so she stopped)
so we both ended up having a spoonfull worth of cannabutter and then we smoked a bowl, thinking we were going to get super high. well it was fine till what i can only guess was the cannabutter kicking in, and we each had bad anxiety attacks for the rest of the night, going in and out of them (ups and downs). this was last friday, since then my anxiety level has been worse and that coupled with a now recent heartbreak (also over the weekend)
and i feel like i'm dieing. i've decided to stop smoking for good, and i'm continueing the vitamins and i do get alot
of excersie out of my drumming but still, i'm fearfull after reading all this that i've broken my mind somewhat and i'm going to be stuck with this underlying anxiety for good now.

i started using mj when i had just turned 20, i became a heavy user and smoked everyday up to three times a day, for about a year, i never had anxiety or panic attack issues. i stopped cold turkey for 4 months, so i could get a job and pass drug testing, and still no issues, no anxiety, depression, or sleepless nights. after i started up again i started using it just as heavy as before i had stopped. about two months ago i tryed shrooms for the first time and it was horrible and it set me straight for not doing anyother drugs but marijuana, however ever since i had tryed the shroom i had lingering anxiety, i didn't have my first anxiety attack (or panic attack) till my mother admitted to me that she had been a huge drug addict before she had me and had only stopped because she had me. that night i had my first flare up in anxiety and it was the scariest thing, it felt like everything was bad, nothing would ever get better and that the feeling would last forever. after that, i stopped smoking for a week and started taking vitamins: inositol caps, 5-HTP tryptophan, B-100, a multivitamin and that omega 3 fish oil stuff. this helped alot and i felt almost back to normal, though there was still underlying anxiety. after about a week my friend and i hungout and she was excited to smoke, cause she had also stopped for a bit to get a job. so we each had a spoon worth of cannabutter, and then smoked a bowl thinking we were going to get super high. it was fine till what i can only guess is the cannabutter kicked in and we both had anxiety for the rest of the night. that was last friday, since then my anxiety level is higher, that coupled with a heartbreak i'm having (also from the weekend) and i feel like i'm dieing. i've decided to stop smoking altogether, i'm still taking the vitamins and i get good exercise out of my drumming, but after reading the start of this thread, i'm fearfull i've broken my mind somewhat and this not going to go away.

i hope im not stuck like this either, but im begining to think i will be. ive lost my faith that this will gt better!im so tired and exhausted from trying to keep myself sane! i feel like im dieing i feel like theres something wrong with me. all the time. i feeak out about everything! i dont know wht to do anymore. i need to go to the docs i know but i dont have insurance rigth now so im trying to deal

i know what your going through. i was a heavy smoker too! really heavy. my only excercise is trying to keep up with two kids who i dont have the patience for anymore. i have no sex drive no appetite nothing! its been 3 months now i thought i would feel better adn i dont. i know its depression. i know it. it runs in the fam! thats why i smoked, self medicated, and now i have nothing. except this depression and anxiety. life is not fun anymore. its just stressful, im losing my hair by the handfuls literally got a bald spot. i just want to smoke but im scared becaue the last time i did i feaked.