hi, im 16 and for the last year ive been expieriencing anxiety related symptoms
about a year ago i started going to parties etc. with friends
i tried pot like twice, but very little of it and i never got high
finally one night i tried more pot than usual and i expierienced a bad panic attack
it went away in an hour or two and i was normal after that
i swore never to try pot again after such a horrible terrifying expierience
but i felt normal and for two weeks i ahd no problems
but on a friday afternoon i was writing a test in class and for no reason at all i started shaking and realized i was having a panic attack out of the blue
i calmed myself down but after that it was hell
i went home and searched on the internet why im ight be having a panic attack and when i read about anxiety and such it gave me another panic attack and all weekend i had attacks off and on

i went to the doctor and after tests it turned out i have PACs of something which are just random double heartbeats which increase adrenaline momentarily and when im tired or in a weak state have the ability of abrubtly starting a panic attack
i was told just to get over it by controlling thoughts etc.

since then i have been extremely agoraphobic and ive resorted to staying home and playing video games all day and i havent been out with friends ever since
i cant watch scary movies anymore, i used to be an awsome skier but i get so scared now sometimes while i ski
i seem to be a lot more tired lately and lightheaded
and i even get panic attacks sometimes but i think my thoughts bring them on when i scare myself

what the hell has happened to me, it seems like since trying pot, my bodys ability to control anxiey has snapped
i get shaky often, and i am severly depressed sometimes il lbe fine for like weeks but then the next two ill be scared, tired, depressed etc.

anyone know why this is happening, if theres anything that might help me???? FYI - writing this post right now is making me tremble

im not a doctor but i've recently had the same experience as you, smoked pot and have had anxiety and attacks ever since with no relent. i think its getting better though after about a month and a half since the bad pot trip. i made sure not to become agorophobic or anything like that. I used to feel depersonization but thats gone now. Every now and than ill have strange thoughts and anxiety ussualy around bed time or waking up at night. I went to a psychiatrist who told me to start taking 5htp, omega-3 and b complex. I think if you start taking these vitamins you can get at any health store you will start feeling at least 15% better in two weeks and in a few months you shold be normal, thats where i hope to be. If this doesn't work go to a psychiatrist and consider going on antidepressents, for some people there are no side effects and you ussually only take them for 9 months. I hear 4 out of 5 have considerable improvment with these pills. I still get depressed and anxious at times but i think and hope it's getting better. something else to do might be thinking about what in life is making you feel poorly. If i could make a bet, your underachieving in school. it might not seem like a big deal to you in comparison to your anxiety and panic attacks but problems like these could be the cause of them. think about it yourself and try to improve them if you really want to get better. If you can afford it i think good therepy is the best thing you can do. good luck, i know how it feels

I can relate to both of you guys...i have days where i will feel tottaly tired and only want to do things if i really have to, but other days i wake up feeling alot better and energetic. I am 17 and in grade 12, i have been smoking pot since I was in gr.9, it honestly makes you slack and and can take control of your mind, you have to have somehing going for you at all times and think about the happy days to come. Only peopel who smoke pot can really relate to this, I kno people who have to smoke pot now a days in order to concentarte and be in their nornal state of mind.

I'm 17 and am a long term marijuana user.I recently have decided that i should quit,because i have been experiencing anxiety. I find it hard to believe that using marijuana once can cause anxiety in the future. i do know that once you've experienced anxiety from it that everytime you smoke it, u will most likely fear having another attack,and you doing so can cause you to have an attack. I find myself so busy concentrating on my heart rate and breathing.I believe that it is controlled and brought on by your thoughts and that to gain you composure you must have strict self control. I suggest if you experience this, what helped for me was: (1)telling someone exactly the symptoms you are experiencing, this would need to be someone you have confidence in.(2)try to concentrate or distract your self on something that takes thinking or involves laughter,(3)avoid overwhelming your self with negative thoughts such as death or paranoia of the attack never passing. When i experiencd anxiety it was about four years later then when i started smoking pot.i still am not sure how serious this is but I felt like there was a brick on my chest and a shortness of breath,i couldn't take a full breath.I noticed my hands were clammy and my heart was beating fast as if i was scared, but i was not worrying about anything at the time or after i smoked ,i then began to panic about my condition,which i believe provoked anxiety more.(reminder: i still do not know for sure wether its just me or long term use) I felt sharp pains and a hot sensation in my chest...varying back and forth like in a wave motion.My heart felt off beat and randomly was beating fast then once id try to relax it felt like my heart slowed down to much and then i would gasp for a big breath of air or clench or grip my hands on something., because i feared that my heart might stop beating.
It was hard to determine wether my left arm was numb or not, but did feel a tingling sensation.Also one time i noticed right before i had an attack that i felt pressure on my sinuses ,and i thought i was going to get a nose bleed, but didnt. Let me mention that i was not smoking at the time but had smoked within the last hour.Does anybody know exactly what i experienced? And i hope this was useful.

i have suffered with anxiety for 2 years now, and constantly i am tricking myself into believing that weed is not the root of my problems... although it has been... it trully has been,.,

i hate hearing garbage that weed is natural so its okay for u to smoke blah blah blah... weed is horrible, and soon i will quit...

for 6 months i quit cigarettes, then for around 3 months i quit bud... and when i did, i felt focken amazing.. i felt like i could do anything...

AND THEN... i had one cigarette while being drunk, which later lead to smoking a bit of weed... and guess what, thats all it takes to ruin ur life again...

take my advice, quit weed, and i bet in a few eeks u will see much improvement...

whats the problem? weed is ur problem... so do it, quit...

I can't relate to any of you cannabis saved my life. cured my depression lowered my blood pressure relieved my pain.

It did the same for me too....at first. Four years later with two years of very heavy use, my anxiety is back in full-swing (even worse than before I started smoking). Give it some time, you'll see why this forum exists.

Im also in gr.12 been smoking pot for over 5 years i started when i was about in gr.7.....i been expierencing anxiety & if youre a real weed smoker you'll know the difference between hydro & out door....hydro is usually grown indoors in water,tons of chemicals are added to make the plant grow fast and productivly....everytime i smoke this kind of bud my anxiety kicks in...and as the other guy mentioned i fear of my heart stopping...my palms get sweaty my hearts beats either to slow or to fast,i panic and i feel like its hard to swallow,once i drink water my heart beats faster and i start getting more scared that makes my heart rate go up so much that i think im going to have a heart attack....4:20 the day...not the time on a clock.......i decided to smoke outdoor,this is after quiting for two months beacuse anxiety attacks i mixed hash with smoke weed that i knew was grown outdoor from a buddy of mine and i felt like i used to feel wen i first started smoking.....if you noticed to much of anything is'nt good for you,smoking cigarettes didnt make it better for me.even tho i do still smoke....i burn a joint once in a while of natural weed.....hydro is usually realy dense & smells like nothing...know the difference & if you come across hydro make your own decision but i would'nt smoke that c**p.i used to smoke atleast 6 joints a day...aslong as it was green & it was weed i would'nt care.....now i smoke maybe once a week,twice if that...and i feel alot better,another thing caffine & nicotine also contributes to this anxiety,i wont drink pop of coffee...weed is all natural,but depending what kind,so be smart and choose wisely........one more thing...experimenting with hard drugs does a toll on your heart,stick with the weed & you should be fine.

im 18, and i also was like that too. when i fist got a panic attack i was 16, i tried crystal meth for the first time, it was a great experience but as it was gettin night, i was in my room tryin to go to sleep, but i couldnt, and i remember not bein able to breath as well, and i though it was because of the drug, then it was morning, and was off for school, i was in class, and i remember i couldnt breath as well as always, and then all of a sudden, i started to get a tingling sensation in my hands then my face, and i got more scared, then my heart started pounding reallly hard, and it was difficult to breath, and everytime i breath my chest hurted (angina), so i called my parents and was in a hospital, they told me i suffered from an anxiety attack, but any ways, the first time i smoked weed, i also got paranoid, but not a panic attack. but even though i wasnt on any drugs i still got anxiety, out of no where, but after a few months my anxiety went away. i havent gotten panic attacks in over a year...:-)...but yea i smoked pot two months ago, and i remember i smoked a lot, like a whole blunt by myself, i was cool for a while, but then i started thinking about my job and then out of nowhere, my heart starts pounding really fast and hard, and i remember not being able to speak well. i also had a tingling sensation in my leg, and hearing a crackin noise, like a firecracker, in back of my head, and i rember moving my head side to side, and i couldnt control it, does any body know what was that???

Hey, I hope you all come back to check on the replies because I have a few important notes. Like some of you I was a long term marijuana user. I abused some other drugs lightly, but had nothing but respect for powerful substances and often bairly did enough to feel them. I smoked marijuana for 5 years with increasing frequency as price dropped availibility improved ect.. I too found that pot "saved" me from depression and anxiety. It was something to do with friends, got me up and going, out of the house and all that. After only a year I started smoking daily, and always upped the ante slowly as time went by. After I recently reached a couple grams a day I started to notice aweful psychological reprocusions.. I couldn't concentrate, I would get anxiety (perticularly social anxiety), sweats related to anxiety and paranoia, poor eating habbits (couldn't eat without being high), and really the list could go on forever..
I opted to cut down when I got very depressed. This was going successfully for a good while. I was down to less than half a gram a day.. But it was the daily use that really did it for me. Low and behold, one day I got massive tachycardia (rapid heart rate). It was less weed than I usually smoked, but it was certainly associated with some stress because I was just finished studying, and was still worrying about finals. Smoked a little, less than quarter of a gram (two very small bowls via bong). And bam! Right after I felt the effects I went to the washroom and noticed right away that my body temperature dropped and my heart was beating rapidly. Once I got worried things really got messed up. I felt my limbs go numb (probably from lack of proper circulation), I was shivering ans shaking like an epilectic. I decided to ram some food down my throat followed by water to dull the effects of the marijuana. Anyway, the worst of it was over in about five minutes, but I felt panicy, sore, cold and short of breath the rest of the night.
Since then I stopped smoking for a while. After a week or so of not smoking (which was not easy after such long term use) I decided to smoke a very small amount again to see if it would effect me the same way. It sure did. not nearly as bad, but still mild tachycardia and some shivers.
My advice here is that daily use is not for everyone, and indeed, should not be taken lightly. Marijuana ups your heart rate by nearly 35% I have recently found out. If you insist on smoking everyday, you should be careful if you experience ANY paranoia about your heart rate or health. It will continue untill you're forced to take a good long break. I've been completely sober of everything for a month or so now. I feel much better and rarely worry about it. Attacks can happen without smoking as well. The best course of action is to take a break. And for those who get attacks without use of marijuana please note that tachycardia happens to many people that smoke pot, and can later lead to post dramatic stress. Which is what I believe the poor fellow that started this thread is suffering from. Post dramatic stress is harder to over come, because there are no known triggers (like smoking pot). It just happens. If you experience this unfortunitely one of the only things to do is convince yourself that what happened was a normal reaction and worrying about it is the only thing that makes it continue. It's a psychological thing, not physical. Worry not about your heart having problems and don't get paranoid if something that normally increases your heart rate does just that.
For me, excercise helps. In several ways. Excercise is the best "drug" known to man. It releases many of the same "happy chemicals" (serotonin, dopamine, melatonin, ect..) that drugs, good food, sex and good ol' laughter do. All of these things can also increase your heart rate, but that is normal, and it's best to think of it as perfectly normal. The other way excercise helps aside from relieving depression and making it easier to abstain from pot or other substances is that it helps you ease into getting your heart going without worrying about it. Go bike, run, hike, workout at the gym and you'll find that's a healthy way to get the heart going without having to worry about it.
Also, it's VERY important to practice a stress-reduced lifestyle. I have had great success reading philosophy and meditating. Actively avoid stressful things be kind and cheerful to everyone you meet and they'll do so in kind (which really makes you feel great). Talk to people if something's bothering you and be willing to help people with their issues (I always feel great after counselling people).. Enjoy the company of your pets or animals outside, your family, someone special. Don't stay inside and wait for it to pass. Actively take your life back if indeed you feel it slipping away. I've been to hell and back with my depression, and my attack helped my value my life and detox my body and mind.
Remember there are lots of people in the same boat, but it's easier than you think to swim. Peace be with you all.

Go see an Endocrinologist and have your cortisol levels checked. Your Adrenal glands may not be functioning correctly. Having low cortisol levels leads to anxiety and "episodes" brought primarily on by stress whether it be physiological or social. Addison's disease is the condition, and is usually corrected by taking cortical steroids.

If not, the Endocrinologist can check your hormonal variances and perform an assay, which will narrow down the possibilities if any, of a physiological condition.

Other than that, smoking pot is good for some, but is bad for others. Some people cannot handle the effects of THC, and this tends to lead to anxiety, which leads to high heart-rate, cold sweats... Its called tripping out. Stop smoking pot, if it still persists, see a doctor and have them write a referral to a specialist, mainly a psychiatrist.

Im a 22yr old guy and have been smoking pot daily since i was 17. I did my best to be as responsible as possible while smoking so I only smoked after I got all my school work done and had no other responsibilites for that day. It was something that i used to look forward to every day just sittin playin some videogames online with my friends who also blaze and takin some bong rips. I enjoyed it a lot for the five years I smoked but then one night when i took a bong hit and within 10mins of that i started feeling dizzy and my heart was racing, also i had this weird tightness in my left arm like someone put a belt around it and pulled it tight. I also had this pounding sensation in my head that came in waves, it felt like my head was going to explode or a bllod vessel or anuerism was gonna burst in my head. I also had the sensation that someone was grabbin at the top end of my spine and pullin down on all the sh*t attached like in some cartoon or something, i had pain behind my eyes and these waves of pain in my head were unbearable.I went to my parents and could barely breathe and had them call 911, i lied in their bed until the ambulence came but the entire time i was lyin down i felt my body go numb and had the sesation that i was fallin out of my body. It felt like i was barely holding on to conciousness and waas teerfied that the next pulsing that hit me would make everything go dark and i'd never wake up again. when i got to the hospital the docs checked my heart and said it was fine and then stuck me in the waiting room where i waited without being seen for 5hrs b4 giving up and going home. I hoped that there was just something wrong with that batch so i bought somethin new and tried smokin again; to be safe though i just took one hit out of a pipe, but 10mins later it happened again. I went to my rents again and thought i was dyin but I didnt call 911 this time b/c it didnt really help last time. I started to feel better (i.e. didnt feel like I was dyin anymore but still not feelin great) around 3.5hrs later; which was about how long it took to feel the same way the previous time it happened. I couldnt understand why this was happening all of the sudden since I had never had these attacks b4 in my enitre life. I have suffered from depression since i was 12 but have never felt anything like this ever, even during my 5 yrs of smoking so I thought i should look for any recent changes in my life that could possibly explain what was happening all of a sudden. I had recently prior to the first attack started taking xanaxXR daily prescribed to me by my doc and hoped that the xanax was the problem. I have since gotten off xanax and am back on the meds Ive been on for the last 7 years, on those i smoked for 5yrs and never had a problem. I only had 1 attack that happened when i hadn't smoked for 5 days after the second attack, in other words after the second attack i stopped smoking period and still experienced an attack 5 days after i quit. I want to try smoking again b/c it was for 5 yrs a very enjoyable act which didn't interfere with my schooling at all, the semester prior to my first attack i earned a place on the deans list at my college, but I find myself terribly afraid of having to go through that again. It took a long time to ween myself of xanax so I have not smoked in about 5 or 6 months and i find that i miss it terribly. Does anyone have any knowledge of negative reactions to taking xanax daily and smoking which might confirm my hypothesis??? If not does anyone have any other info info or insight which can help me? Any help even remotely related to my situation would be greatly appreciated b/c i honestly just don't know what to do. As sad as it is a lot of my friendships came together from our common luv of smokin so when i go hang out with my friends and there all smokin I just feel out of place ( not to mention insanely jealous that they can smoke with no problem whatsoever). Please, any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

I wish everyone luck in accomplishing their goals whatever they may be and want you all to never give up hope b/c it can be a source of strength in the darkest of times,
-Sleep

I don't know what the f**k you guys are talking about i feel better when i smoke and after i smoke i feel like i have the best life ever i sit and talk 2 people about how good my life is.

I know what all of you are talking about. It's a real bummer. I experienced hell itself when i ate some mushrooms (2.5 g). I had an anxiety attack, which lead to a bad trip. I always thought i just took a turn toward negative town, but about 10 months later at work a buddy of mine was talking about mushrooms, and instantly i had another. Strange. The next day, the same thing. I am definately a marijuana user for about 3 years, and was high both days. Every time i smoke, i find it harder to control. That same week at work my cousin was talking about that same buddy talking about mushrooms, BOOM, again. I quit my job, and smoking weed. I started to read about Buddhism and self-control, and it seems to be helping, but I can't shake this anxiety. Can anyone relate? How did you cure your anxiety?

Oh, man, I can tell all of you guys something on this subject! I was around 17 had smoked weed for a few years, one night I had a bad panic attack while I was high. I swore I would quit that night!!! I did. But, a week went by I was in school and had an attack. Calmed down by going in the bathroom and spashing water on my face. Thought to myself what the heck? I quit the weed why was this happening? Well, then a few weeks went by I was fine but then like nothin' BAM! Another panic attack!!! So, I told my friend abvout it and she said go to a councelor and talk about it. So, I did that. It worked for a few months but then I started getting them again and then more and more....I became a homebody. I was scared of everything. Driving was tooo scarey then the stores where too scarey etc...when ever I went anywhere I was fearing an attack and I'd get all nervous and my heart rate would go up so I just avoided alot! I was like that for like 6 months till I went to a doctor then I was prescribed xanax. It also worked great for like a year. I was able to shop and go places. Then I started to get scared again for no reason....Had to take more xanax to help....I eventually had to quit the xanax because of the possible addiction. I was then given buspar. That made it all worse. I had then been on paxil. That made it worse...Then depakote actually helped but I had a liver thing happening so I had to quit that.... what the heck did weed have in it to start this long drawn out process of anxiety? I don't know. I can only say that yes, it is not all that like weed smokers all say. It is horrible. I now live with my anxiety on a day to day basis and take vitamins with minerals and try to get at least 20 minutes of fresh air and exercise a day. Stay away from the pot if your on it. It messes up peoples brain chemestry and maybe for life!