So I will try to get right to the point of this. I am really at the end of my rope and really worried about the future. I smoked marijuana somewhat frequently for a year when I was in high school, but stopped and never had any real problems from it. I stopped for about 6 years.

Last year I smoked just a couple times- I had a really strong experience, totally tripped out, i was totally convinced the marijuana was laced. Two months ago I smoked one last time, this time I know it was not laced, just very strong, and also had an extreme, anxious trip. I had this terrible idea that I had a mental illness. I was really affected and zoned out. For the next three weeks I felt slightly off and was having panic/stress attacks occasionally.

About 3 weeks after the marijuana use i began to not be able to sleep any more. Suddenly I was sure I had a mental illness and I couldn't sit still, I was incredibly agitated and couldn't think of anything else. It was total panic for like a week straight. I went to the ER and they put me on meds. We tried tapering off of them and it seemed like the anxiety and panic came back. I am back on the meds and I still feel anxious, totally off, things are definitely not right and every day I obsess ceaselessly over trying to figure out what is wrong with me. I also have no appetite whatsoever and I have major sleeping problems. I can only trace it back to smoking marijuana that one time. I am so afraid that this is going to be permanent and I feel such guilt for smoking.

Has anyone heard of anybody going through something like this? Do you think this will be permanent or will this go away in another month or so? Its been over two months now since I smoked and I'm scared for the future.

I went through this but didn't smoke it. It sounds like your having panic attacks! I have went through this all of my life , you may need anti anxiety meds if you have GAD( generalized anxiety disorder) you can learn breathing technique to relax yourself when this happens! Try yoga , it helps! But if you can't get any relief, you may need to talk to a phsycologist. Marijuana will aggravate the condition!

@cusionfusion,

I can't say for sure whether your ongoing anxiety is caused by the pot, but I strongly doubt it. Rather, I think that it triggered paranoia/anxiety that you haven't been able to let go of. Our brains/bodies are incredibly powerful tools that can go haywire.

I went through a very similar experience, minus the pot. I can tell you for a fact that millions of people experience this every year in the US, without pot. My strongest recommendation is that you try to heal yourself without additional drugs. They can be helpful in the very short-term, but have terrible long-term effects and actually keep you from healing the source of your issues.

In my experience, a skilled counselor/therapist can be highly effective.

It requires a lot of practice to change who you are, and I believe this is key to improving your life.

I can also recommend a website that provides a useful service, but you have to be dedicated for it to work, of course I think that's true for any course of action including therapy, anyway, here is the site that I really like:

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Things will get better, I promise. I had smoked weed everyday for 2 years and one day I randomly had a panic attack, after this I developed extreme anxiety, depersonalization and derealization. I felt like I was going crazy and my life would never be the same, I tried to smoke weed again because it was weird not smoking for me and  i had another panic attack i went to many doctors and no one helped. I got put on many meds and they didnt help. For about 2 months I felt like this. Then one day, just as fast as it came, it went away. Now when i smoke weed, sometimes I become a little anxious, and rarely have panic attacks. When I am not smoking I don't have panic attacks anymore and feel great about life. All it takes is time, weed isn't right for everyone. Worrying makes it last longer, you need to understand that it's all in your head and YOU WILL make it through this. That is the most important thing is to overpower the fear in your brain. Hope things get better for you!

I know this is an old thread but how do feel now....? Better