Hi, my son started biting his nails when he was ten, and he didn’t stop doing that for seven years. I am getting really worried, because I don’t want him to become a long-term nail biter! How can I help him?

There must be a reason why your son bites his nails that long. People usually do that because of nervousness, stress or boredom. You probably know if he experiences any of these things. That is why people use antidepressants for nail biting, like clomipramine, sertraline, fluoxetine and paroxetine. Even anti-psychotics for schizophrenia, like risperidone, olazapine can be used. Your son doesn’t have to take medications. There are other kindes of therapy for nail-biters, for example a behavioral therapy. First, a patient goes to Habit Reversal Training (HRT), and then a Stimulus Control therapy. I think it’s better if he starts treating nail biting now, because it will be more difficult when he gets older.