Hi there,

This might be sort of a weird question for someone, but I am really curious about this for quite some time now and I didn't have any luck trying to find an answer. Since you are talking a lot about anxiety here, I was hoping that some of you might know the answer to this question. Almost every day I see someone biting their lips (it is obvious that they are anxious) and I was always wondering what exactly is making them do it.

This is probably a question for a psychologist or a psychiatrist but I'm hoping that someone here might know the answer.

A lot of people bite their lip when they have anxiety, it is something extremely common, but it doesn't only occur with anxiety disorders, but also with nervous flirting, nervous tension, and simply a feeling of something amiss. It's a common behavior that many people don't even realize they're doing, and other struggle to control.

So lip biting is not only done if you have anxiety, and a lot of people aren't even aware that they are biting their lips. No one is really sure what causes lip biting or why it occurs. It's essentially a nervous habit, a behavior your body does when it feels anxious.

Hi there guys,

I have been wondering the exact same question since the first time I've seen someone bite their lips. I didn't know that it was because of anxiety back then.

Let's see it this way, if someone is biting their lip because they are flirting that way, then they think that it looks sexy. If they are doing it because they are anxious, I believe that it is somehow helping them to calm down and the pain of biting their lips feels good for them, and the pain also calms them down a bit. That's my idea behind biting lips.

There's no particular reason known for biting lips. A lot of people really enjoy that kind of pain whether they are anxious or not. You probably did something that hurts you and enjoyed it, like touching a teeth that hurts or biting your nail or the skin around your nail.

This sort of pain also calms you down if you are nervous, that's why nervous people eat their nails or similar stuff. I think that it is definitely connected with anxiety, you can actually notice how people are expressing their anxiety and stress through these kind of things, it is really interesting.

Because they are nervous? I believe that this is not the right answer. Many people do this and this is just one sign where you can recognize that they are nervous.

Actually, I believe that no one knows why people have those types of tics or whatever they call this and why this is connected with anxiety. I do this as well sometimes when I am nervous and my sister usually tells me to stop with it. This is also a very bad habit.

Like Bee already told you, this doesn’t happen only when you have anxiety. It can be a bad, bad habit as well.

Hey there. I am biting my lips when I am nervous or when I am waiting for something. I believe that this is pretty much normal process. I was also biting my cheeks. Sometimes I was biting it so bad that I was bleeding. Now, you can imagine what I have done, right? So I believe that when people are nervous or anxious, it is very common for them to bite their lips. But also, this doesn't have to mean that you are also dealing with anxiety. It could be something else, so you should really talk to some expert about this.

We are talking about certain disorder in here. Biting lips is a kind of disorder, just like anxiety. Lip biting and other behavioral habits provide the body with some type of coping strategy. It is because people are nervous. People shake their legs because they are nervous. Something inside the brain wants to perform this behavior, and it may have some sort of coping component that the person is not aware of. Anyway, having any bad behavioral habit should be stopped if possible. If left unchecked, these habits can be hard to break and may lead to embarrassment and possibly pain. Biting lips can cause a pain as well. 

I don't know, I guess that this is a normal reaction when people are nervous and anxious. I don't know anyone who had problem with it, I believe that people stop with it very soon but it is true that it is extremely common. A kid from my neighborhood was biting his lips all the time, he even was biting the cheeks! His mom was worried and she took him to talk to the doctor. Doctor explained her that this is a very common behavior when people are anxious but he also told her that this can be very bad and it can become serious if it is not treated. So I guess that you should talk to someone who is an expert.