Is it possible that i could have this, so long after having my son? I have this new obsessive need to protect him. I cry at the drop of a hat now and I just get so emotional.

You actually have a milder form called baby blues. You are not yet depressed. So far it is only mood swing. Physical exercise, acupuncture, and massage therapy may be helpful.

Hi hon: Acutally it wont be either baby blues or PPD this usually happens to a maximum of 6 months after baby is delivered not 18months. Just know that you are DEFINITELY no alone with the feelings you have about being obsessive about protecting him. As he is growing up - walking, talking, pushing you away and shaking his head NO!!! - you start worrying more that 1. he doesn't need you! 2. you are worried about him hurting himself etc.

To tell you the truth - my boys are 14 and almost 17 and I could acutally fall on the ground sobbing at the thought of them leaving the home. I ALWAYS had the sleepovers and RARELY let them sleep over some where. I know it's terrible, but I couldn't handle it! My eldest sons first sleep over I think he was 11!!!!!!! And i cried all night!! My husband and I NEVER went out together etc. It was awful, but I couldn't handle it! I used to hear of my friends going away for the weekend or haveing a week "Off" And I thought "HOW can you leave your babies?!"

So don't feel bad about how you are panicking. The only time to worry is IF you ever feel like hurting him!! Then it is more of a psychosis!!! But I don't think that is what is going on here. I think it's more of him not needing you as much. THAT said, I do feel that if you feel totally overwhelmed then do seek out medical help OK? Below I have attached a link on PPD symptoms. IF you feel that any of these match yours then DEFINITELY get some help for it. But before you do, take a long look at the things I've stated! You can even join a support group for new moms. Sometimes it's really good for you to hear that you are NOT alone!!! Good luck and health hon! I hope I made you feel a little better!!!

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/women/pregnancy/ppd/general/379.html

I think that you are feeling pretty emotional and I'm not sure that it's baby blues or PPD but it does seem to me like you should reach out for help because it sounds like you need it. I don't mean to say that in a bad way, because we all need help sometimes. I'm glad to hear that you're at least responsible enough to recognize it. Have you seen a mental health professional or a doctor about taking antidepressants? It might be worth talking to them about it. Keep us posted okay?

I am taking wellbutrin. when i first started having these panicky feelings, i made an appointment. the circumstances in which i got pregnant and dealing with the aftermath, has really taken its toll. he beat me when i got pregnant and it was a fight, litteraly a physical fight. i left him and he made threats. they haunt me to this day. i met my husband right when i left , him that we do not speak of, and he became my best friend. now that we got married he wants to adopt him, i love that. but i still have this voice in my head telling me that, his biological father, will take him in the night like he said he would. it frustrates my husband because he feels like i don't feel protected by him. i just need to let it go, i am afraid that my acting this way, is going to cause problems with my son and i when he gets older. my life is better than it ever has been. why can't i let this go? i am tired of being afraid.

Hello hon: I thought it was more than what you were saying! And unfortunately it is! I think you are suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder! Many people think that it is from someone that has been in a war! Well you have haven't you! You faught for your life and escaped with it! OF COURSE you will be afraid of the "shadows" because you have the life you've always wanted, you worry that this deviant will come and take it away. I know you don't feel normal, but what you fell is TOTALLY normal! That said, how do you deal with so much trauma, and still get on with your life? Below I have attached a post about PTSD and I read through it and seems right on about your present situation. It also offeres ideas of getting help. When you were put on the wellbutrin, did you mention to the doctor about your past ordeal? I am just wondering if you did, because he/she might still think it's about "Baby Blues" If you haven't mentioned it to them, you should, you might need your medications tweaked with. And I would DEFINITELY suggest you seeking out counselling or domestic abuse counselling in particular. I wish you all the health and peace of mind! If you ever need to talk I'm usually on here OK? Good luck hon!

http://helpguide.org/mental/post_traumatic_stress_disorder_symptoms_treatment.htm

i didn't even think about it being ptsd. that is waht he suffered from, from being in iraq. i met him when he came back and he told me he had ptsd, but him hurting me never crossed my mind. can ptsd affect your children and cause them to have the same fears?

Hi Brilee - what a pretty name - NO PTSD is a reaction to something NOT genetic like bi-polar or manic depressive. My grandfather was in WWII and when he came home my mom was 6 years old and they never met! So being 6 she used to sneak around and play games, one day he was fast asleep and my mom said "BOO!!!" My grandad grabbed my mom by the throat and almost killed her!!!!!!!! My mom was totally traumatized by that - of course. He couldn't stand my mom complaining about regular kid stuff - because he saw SO much in the war! He HAD PTSD, but it was never treated back then.

This doesn't exonerate him for what he has done to you, the army should have given him the help. Even though it is a TERRIBLE debilitating disorder, there is still self control!

Even though PTSD is not genetic, that said Brilee you can pass your fears onto your children. So tray and deal as much as possible with this and get the help you so deserve and need OK? This will enable you to get on with you life and give your child the life he deserves AND you deserve. Do you think PTSD has kind of hit it on the head for you? Does it seem to match your life and past? I wish you all the best!!!

Hi there, yes, it is possible and actually I can tell you that even thought PTSD itself is not genetic, the propensity for getting it is definitely genetic so it is possible that your kids could also suffer effects too. I know that my family has a propensity for it as well so it's something we're on the lookout for. How are you doing? And how are your kids doing? I think that it's good to realize that you should be aware and not be afraid to ask for therapy or something if you should need it.

Dear Brille: I just wanted to add something here, PTSD is NOT I repeat NOT genetic! The only way a child can get PTSD is if they have ever been exposed to EXTREME trauma as either a baby or a young child! There is NO gene for this ailment! It is only from trauma, fear, EXTREME serious loss of the "Fight or Flight" instinct. OK? So just know your little boy is going to be fine, as long as he is never exposed to that kind of trauma!

Healthnfitnessguy: Please be aware of what you are putting out there! Only Children being around or experiencing trauma at a young age have the propensity to get PTSD as an adult!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi bambi, I am aware that what a child would have to go through to develop PTSD would have to be trauma-related, but it is true that later suffering from PTSD has genetic factors. Yes, you do have to have the external stimulus but there is evidence--you can google PTSD genetic propensity to find it--and it does illustrate that it's more likely to develop it if you've been exposed to trauma and you have a family history. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear before but does that make sense?

I agree. There have been numerous clinical studies that correlate genetic factors with a predisposition to PTSD.

HFG! What you just wrote is right! IF the child has been exposed to trauma they are definitely more likely to have PTSD as an adult. But unlike Bipolar or Depression, OCD, Schizophrenia etc, to get PTSD there HAS to be a predetermining factor - Violence, Severe Trauma, Observing a terrifying event and loosing the fight or flight instinct! Unfortunately I KNOW about this subject more than most. And when someone has been through what this lady has been through I don't want her to worry one more second about her child having it - when he woudn't if he hasn't been exposed to it - As I KNOW you don't either.

Hoseclamps! The only studies they have done regarding Genetic and PTSD is that Depression is a genetic abnormality and IF that is in the family dynamic, then and only then would that person be more likely to getting PTSD IF they have experienced Significant trauma, violence, etc. As their bodies are less likely to handle the stress that comes with these terrible situations. It is like Alcoholism the child and grandchildren of alcoholics are predisposed to become alcoholics a LOT more than a child or grandchild that hasn't had any of this in their family!

Now Brille!!!! How are you doing? And what is going on?

Hi Bambi! Well from what my understanding is on stuff like anxiety-related problems like OCD, agoraphobia, depression, and that sort of thing that there do have to be events as well. This is all relatively new in terms of information that's been emerging on these sort of incidents. No, definitely not though, bsailer, I don't want you to worry about your kids anymore than you have to! They will be fine because I know that you're a good mother and you're always watching out for them. I hope what we were talking about didn't cause you any unnecessary stress.

Hi Brilee, I haven't heard from you in a few days. How is everything going? I hope that you're doing well and that I didn't scare you with anything I've posted since it might have been misread. How are things?