I need help. I am dealing with chronic sciatica more than 2 years. Doctors recommend surgery, but I am wondering if there is any other option. I cannot stay in bed any longer…
Please, any answer is welcome!

Hey there,
Bed rest is not the right answer. I read a survey where they say it is the worse option for patients with chronic sciatica. Swimming is very good for back, maybe you should try this. I do not know for any other option besides exercise. When you feel pain, it is better to sit down and put your legs on a chair or some support, and put legs higher hen your hips, maybe this shall help relieve the pain.

Avoid surgery at all costs!! Radiculopathy, or sciatica is a b***h, but surgery can sometimes exacerbate the problem. I have had two back surgeries, and I still have 3 ruptured discs in my lower back, due to degenerative disc disease. Avoid narcotic pain relievers, as well. I ended up an addicted narco-monster, three years ago. Since then I have had to learn Pain Management skills to help me deal with the continuing surge of 10,000 volts that runs down my right leg. I suggest you do likewise.
:!: 8)

:!: 8)

hi im trying this - ive just upped the dose to 600mgs and hoping to get some results

cheers

**edited by moderator**web addresses not allowed**

I have had surgery once on my L5-S1 and had some great relief for a few years. I have had a reoccurence and am seeing a neurosurgeon in a few weeks. My pain has been a 20 on a scale from 1-10. I have found relief until my appt by using pain patches (prescription strength) called lidoderm on spots where it is most severe, you can use up to 3 at a time and wear them 12 hours on and then 12 off. On the off times I take extra strength tylenol arthritis strength (don't use the regular extra strength as it is not as strong as the arthritis one) during daytime. I use 1 percocet (don't use more or you could have bigger problems!) every morning to enable me to get out of bed and start moving. I use one flexeral to help me go to sleep at night. Use a body pillow between your legs when lying down, helps huge. And my best advice is WALK!!!!!!! It hurts starting out but really helps once you get going. Do it twice a day for at least 30 minutes each walk, you don't have to go fast, just go! I hope we both find relief soon, it's depressing, huh! GOOD LUCK! P.S. I Almost forgot, I also take 500 mg of Sodium Naproxen twice a day, don't forget to eat with this or you will have stomach problems too!