I regularly come on these discussion boards looking for advice and comfort from other narcotic pain med users, but this is my very first post.
I have been taking various different narcotic pain killers for over 2 years. I have a degenerative disc disease and suffer chronic back pain. I was started with 5/325mg percocets which i used as needed and a little over a year and half later was up to 5 or 6 oxycontin 30mg a day .... which works out to roughly 30 percocet or more depending on the day....just to put it in perspective..
Anyway I never realized i was physically addcited to them until I ran out of a prescription sooner than expected. The withdrawls were horrific and only made it to Day 3 before calling my doctor and getting a new prescription. I did make the decision to try to come off of them a couple months later and slowly weaned off over a period of about six weeks. It was effective and although I have never taken another percocet or oxycontin to date, I was only taken off one narcotic painkiller and put on another.
There hasnt been more than a day or so in the last 2 1/2 years where I have spent a day sober, with no narcotic. I feel like pain killers have such an addictive hold on me that I will never be able to stop. The worst part is I know I will have chronic pain to deal with for the rest of my life, and with all the various unsuccessful treatments I feel like narcotic painkillers are the only option i have to deal with the pain!
Thanks to every person that has written a success story about there own battle with narcotic pain medication, gives me hope that one day I will be able to do the same :-)

My mother has the Same thing and she Didnt want to keep taking loads and loads of pills and she went to another doctor who gave her medical marijuana and it took all the pain away she said she couldnt feel it and plus she was Alot happier.

I had heard that marijuana can sometimes releive pain.....hmm thanks for the comment I will have to check into that :-)