Hello

I have checked my temperature a number of times when I get up in the morning and it is a degree below normal. I heard that can mean that I could have hypothyroidism?

What are the other symptoms of hypothyroidism? Thyroid problems do run in my family.

Thanks,

It is very good that you are paying attention to your health especially if you belong to a so called risk group. If low thyroid is not spotted on time and if treatment starts late, it would be much harder to respond to this treatment.

There are many hypothyroidism symptoms. They are weight gain, difficulty losing weight, tiredness, fatigue, low motivation, anxiety, hair loss, headaches, impaired memory and concentration, low sex drive, insomnia, brittle nails, dry skin, fluid retention, heat and cold intolerance.

Many women experience these symptoms with hypothyroidism: amenorrhea, cramping, ovarian cysts, tumors, uterine fibroids, miscarriages, vaginal dryness, gallbladder problems, low blood sugar, osteoporosis, etc

If you have any of these symptoms you should have them checked out. They will not necessarily mean you suffer from hypothyroidism but since you are in the risk group, you better be on the safe side.

Taking oral temperature is better than taking underarm temperature. The best timing to do so is anywhere between11 am and 3 pm or 20 minutes after lunch.

I agree with that one! You are noticing signs, you are observing your body, and that is an amazing thing to recognize some issues that are related with your health. And yes, if you are cold all the time, that can be related to a hypothyroidism. Every expert will tell you that cold sensitivity is a common symptom of that condition.  Cold sensitivity or cold hands and feet are common symptoms of low thyroid function. You can notice that very easily because hypothyroidism causes your metabolism to slow down and your body to conserve energy for its most vital organs and in those cases, you will never have enough energy in your body. Maybe you are dealing with an underactive thyroid, which definitely needs doctors attention. 

Well I definitely dont have a problem with weight gain. I can't gain weight, no matter how much I eat. I am slightly underweight for my height in other words.

Anyway, in reply to your symptoms.
I have a few of them including: tiredness/fatigue, (i worry alot is that anxiety?), hair loss, my nails always break, I often have dry skin.

Yes I am a woman and I do experience these symptoms: I dont have amenorrhea but I have struggled alot with my periods and I have an abnormally long time between them. I have 3 ovarian cysts. I also have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) although I didnt know they were linked?

I didnt know that heat and cold intolerance was a symptom of hypothyroidism! I am extremely sensitive to temperature, especially cold, so much so I have been teased about it with friends.

Thanks so much for your advice

I am aware of many of the signs/symptoms of hypothyroidism and I have quite a few. BUT... how important is it to note your body temperature? Mine at it's highest (ever in last 2 years) in the day is 97.6 and lowest average is 96.2. I also have difficulty with weight loss, cold hands/feet regularly, hair loss, memory problems/brainfog (but was also diagnosed ADHD 5 months ago), symptoms of ovarian cysts (though my doc didn't feel it was necessary to do ultrasound), low libido (for at least 4 years though I'm only 30), a miscarriage at 16 weeks, frequent insomnia, fatigue/low motivation. I looked into hypothyroidism a few years ago when the symptoms were beginning to really bother me and had two TSH test results 2.6? and 2.4? (respectively) done 3 months apart. The first was done prior to pregnancy the second when I was 2-ish months pregnant (6-8 weeks I believe.) That pregnancy resulted in a healthy baby girl (12/2/06) and as far as I know I was not otherwise tested for TSH since (6-8 weeks preg.)

what do you think? And... if I should look into this how do I get a doctor to find it important to test me as well. (I switched docs after the birth of the baby and he doesn't seem so concerned - though I've mentioned all this to him)