Very frusterated with not being able to loss weight. Diagnosied with hypothyroidism 2 yrs ago and weight not budging even though i cut calories and exercise. Anyone have any advise? :-(

are you under the care of an endocronologist and going for regular blood tests? sounds like your hormone may not be at the right level and your medication may need some tweaking.

It may be an unpopular statement to hear, but hypothyroidism doesn't cause an excess of wt. gain. It can, however, make it harder to lose wt. I have had hypo for 10 years and have noticed many fluxes sometimes months apart sometimes years, that range from gaining 10 lbs to losing 15. Talk to your doctor about seeing a thyroid specialist and designing a diet. Also, it can take 6 weeks for t3 or t4 meds to kick in and a few weeks after that for your body to respond. I still get symptoms (cold hands and feet are my worst) after years of drug therapy. If you're interested in how hypo afftects your life look into books by Mary J. Shomon - they can be as little as $1 used on amazon.com and give great detail as to how hypo affects every aspect of your body from muscles to hair and nails to ovulation (don't always produce eggs!)

I have been on levothyroxin since 2005 when I had a thyroidectomy due to my graves disease. I currently take 200mcg of medicine a day and I have my ups and downs on how I feel. I have gain seventy-five pounds since my operation and sometimes think I was better off being hyperthyroid. I have tried diets and exercise and I do not eat very much. I have done a little research and found that using extra-virgin coconut oil can help people with hypothyroidism to lose weight. I hope that this will help someone out there. I have other medical problems that I think contribute to my weight gain so if this helps anyone I will be happy for you. 

If you can't lose weight cutting calories and exercising, I would recommend a low carb diet.

Cindy

I have hypothyroidism too, i got diagnosed almost 2years ago i take 125mg and i still get alot of my symptoms from time to time but the weight side has improved for me, so far i have lost 50pounds but its been really hard (but i have done it slowly over 20months now and never put any of it back on)

What has made it easier is to change my frame of mind and think that you can do this, its just gonna take alittle bit more work then eveybody else, Dont diet all the time, i find that has helped me the most your body will go into hoarding everything you eat and you could find you gain weight, so week on week off is what has worked for me and surprising its the week off i will drop the pound or 2 or 3 (thats prob just me).  i also do at least 30mins exercise at least 4times a week (but try mix and change your exercise so you dont get bored). i still allow myself to have something sweet and that stops me binging but i have also cut out eating after 6pm and never missing my breakfast, drinking lots of fluids to help me keep full and i have cut down alittle on my carbs but this was never a real problem for me.

I think its fine to have what ever you want just not all the time. i have also cut down my portion size and how fast i eat and this has also helped and that was one of the hardest things for me but you get used to it. i dont know if any of this relates to your lifestyle this is just my story but i hope something helps and if not talk to your doctor they can really help.    

Hayley.                 

I was diagnosed with Graves' disease 2 years ago and they took out my thyroid February 2014. I since have gained about 25 lbs. I'm still trying to get the meds right too a year and a half later. I am curious if you have had success with the coconut oil. What do you do with it? Eat it, oil pulling??