Hi! Our 14 year old son has had a body temp of 97.4 since a toddler. He started having absence seizures 3 years ago. No one has checked his thyroid... can a chronic low temp indicate low thyroid? Can low thyroid cause seizures? Any advice or personal experience with this will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Brently

I am not sure if you continue to read these posts, as I see that it has been along time since you wrote, however, I was DX with Hyperthyroid 10 years ago, and was medically induced to hypothyroid. I bounce between the symptoms all the time.

About 6 years ago, I started having black outs, and now seizures. I have typical body temp of 96.6 and am taking synthroid. I have had all the typical CAT's done, and brain reads, and have basically chalked my "episodes" to my thyroid, as there is no other organic reason for these.

I tend to have seizures about 3 a.m. in the morning when I wake up, and feel completely ice cold.

May want to make sure your son is checked for both T3 and T4 hormones. Doctor's usually do not run these, but just the basic thyroid hormone.

It is 3am and I have just been woken by my 12 year old Juvenile diabetic who was about to start going into a seizure. At first, we thought it was a hypo (low sugars), but she was 13.2 bgl. Her body temperature was 35.7C. Two nights ago, she did the same thing, starting to go into a seizure, I stopped her (I stay in my daughters room because of these) and her temperature was 34.6C and a bgl of 14.2. We took her straight to the doctor and they cannot tell us anything, I am in desperate need to know what is wrong with my daughter, I cannot sleep because I am worried that I will not wake up to stop her seizure and I dont know how dangerous they are...if you could please give me any more information about your condition to see if any more relates to my daughter. many thanks

Often a low body temperature can mean a person may have a mitochondrial disease. Mitochondrial myopathy +MELAS symptoms include low thyroid, low body temperature, and stroke like episodes that may resemble seizures. I know. I have all of these.