I gave birth three weeks ago, and everything has been just great. Breastfeeding is going well, although it did hurt a bit in the beginning. Now, I have noticed a small white lump on my breast tissue, near the nipple. Can anyone tell me what this is? Should I be worried? Is this bad for my baby?

I have these too. I noticed them years after I had children. I don't know what they could be either. I've never had anything come out of the bumps, just just appeared and I never payed them any mind until my husband questioned them.. Mine are on the areola next to my nipple on both breasts. "/

Here you go. Lumps on areola: Ever wonder about those 'funny bumps' on the areola, those are supposed to be there; they are called Montgomery glands or areolar skin glands. Their function is partially unknown, but scientists suppose they secrete a liquid that lubricates the nipple/areola area. These Montgomery glands can be about unnoticeable, OR stand out as bumps on the areola. They often become more prominent during pregnancy. Also, it appears they are white in some women. Some women have squeezed them and can get a white substance out, but please do NOT squeeze them because that causes them to become infected. In one study, it was noted that women with more areolar glands had better or more optimal breastfeeding start after delivery. They also noted that the glands were seen in virtually all women in the study but with great interindividual variations; their areolar distribution was nonrandom, and about 1/5 of the women had glands giving off a secretion (this is about women who have just given birth).