Hi folks
I am sorry am bothering everybody here, but it seems there is no end to my problems. I usually babysit my nieces and nephews while my sisters go to work. I also lactate and breastfeed my nieces/nephews - my sisters know this and I have their permission. With overactive let down I prefer tandem nursing and was doing the same today afternoon when - maybe the little one was chocking or some other issue and she bit me really hard. :(( She has two teeth on the lower jaw and one on the upper and gave me a nasty bite on my nipple.
As I tried to wriggle about in pain, I did not realize that my other nipple had slipped out from the toddler who was nursing - and he too gave me another bite on the other boob - this time all too very nasty bite  :-| which led to my nipple being bleeding for a while. Both had latched perfectly just as always. I tried to pacify both by cleaning the bite wounds and offering my boobies once again - but the pain was horrible. :(
My boobs hurt and I casually squirt milk or it just drips down. On top of all this, my boy friend just gave me a hickie yesterday night  <3 and it's on the left boob near the breastbone. Now I can barely tolerate to wear a bra or any clothes and my nipples are sore to the point that I cannot cover them. It just isn't my day today and am born to have troubles...........
Has anyone been bitten before or has had a hickie on their boobies? Can anyone suggest a remedy? I don't have a breast pump and I fear I may have engorgement? Please help :-|

maybe some ice? How old are these kids? Shouldn't you stop breastfeeding after kids get teeth...? Should you be breastfeeding your nieces and nephews? Maybe its time to rethink that stuff. I wouldn't wanna risk the possibility of getting bit just so my sister's kids can drink some milk... not worth it to me. If they are biting maybe its time to introduce them to real food.. as for your nipples... .. that sucks! might just have to wait this one out...take some pain medication.. put some ice on them... maybe put bandaids over them to keep your bra from irritating them. 

Hi Anars

It's perfectly ok to breastfeed as long as kids demand it. I myself breastfeed my babies close to their third year. You are just doing good.

Regarding biting a nipple? Like you said you have an over active let down - which means milk gushes out - even squirts out with force - I too have had this problem. Simply put with a let down such as this one - the breast is something of a hose without any control. It is good for milk ejection, but bad for the baby - the baby gets more than it can swallow - result is the baby chokes or starts spitting out milk while swallowing [depending on how good or bad she has latched up]

Teeth or no teeth - babies have a way of regulating milk flow - they simply clench their gums on the nipple or areola. Sometimes they simply remove nipple and resume when they have swallowed whatever they have in their mouth. The solution is the following -

1) Adopt a gravity defying position for breastfeeding. Lay down on your back, so that the nipple is pointing straight up and put the baby on your tummy and let her feed. Gravity now slows down the ejection and the baby happily eats. For hint take a look - http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/104965/530wm/C0040744-Breast-feeding-SPL.jpg

2) Use your fingers to pinch the nipple just in case milk is gushing out with force - I had to do it several times.

3) Hand express before letting a baby feed on your boobs

4) Let a toddler nurse first before nursing your little one.

For bruised nipple - which you already have - use nipple cream to help healing - this has lanolin. Express some of your milk and apply it on your nipple - this happens to be the best remedy!

To avoid engorgement, do the following -

1) Use a nipple shield - it's a small plastic device that has a rubber teat a one end and the other end fits snugly on your nipple/areola. Let the baby suck on the rubber teat - this way your nipple will have rest and the baby can still feed on you.

2) If you cannot use nipple shield, hand express your milk and offer the same to the baby - in a bottle of course.

Important: Continue breastfeeding. Never give up! Just when your nipple starts to heal, adopt the side lying position for feeding - lie down on your side, expose boobs and let the baby latch on properly and then continue breastfeeding. Nurse more often - this prevents boobs becoming full with milk.

As for the hickie - use crushed ice in a cloth to cool the area - it will vanish in about a week's time - trust me. You are just doing fine!

As for breastfeeding your nieces and nephews - it's perfectly ok - babies normally reject a breast even if they are hungry - smell and taste have a lot to do for their breastfeeding preferences. Maybe you and your sisters share the same perfume or maybe clothing? In any case it's not a bad idea feeding them, continue till they demand your breast.

aushi wrote:

anars wrote:

Hi folks

Hi Anars

Thanks Aushi
Yes, that was very helpful hint. I usually feed while sitting up and this time I was being naughty by putting the baby on the bed and bending over with breasts hanging. I was leaking already when I offered my nipples - result is I was bitten on both sides.
Rubbing breast milk on nipple was excellent hint, left nipple is good enough and I did breastfeed today. The other is still sore and hope to resume in a day or two. I am getting the shield and will be using it pronto.