I'm a 16 year old female. I'm on Sprintec. I've been on birth control since I was 9, which is when i started my period. My nipples have been VERY swollen and tender for about 3 days now. They hurt so bad that when i touch them, i don't even feel it because its so numb. I don't think I've ever had nipple problems this bad before. I'm not even about to start my period. Could this be life threating? I'm worried and don't know what to do!

Nipple pain can also be caused by specific disorders, particularly inflammatory disorders. Both mastitis (an infection and inflammation of the ducts of the breast) and breast abscess (a collection of pus located in a specific area) can result in nipple pain. These conditions are common in women who are breastfeeding.

A rare type of cancer, known as Paget’s disease of the breast, can result in inflammation and pain that is particularly localized to the nipple area.

Ordinary soreness from surface abrasions should clear up within a few days. Inflammatory conditions will need more attention. Seek prompt medical care if you experience any of the following symptoms: excessive cracking or open wounds on the surface of the nipple or areola; heat or redness in the nipple, breast tissues, or on the breast surface; nipple or breast pain on one side only; fever or chills; new, unusual, or changing lumps in the breast; nipple abscess or nipple discharge not related to breastfeeding, especially a brown or bloody discharge; or bleeding from the nipple.

If your nipple pain is persistent or causes you concern, seek prompt medical care