My best friend’s father has been diagnosed with an anus cancer called malignant melanoma. At first I thought that she made a mistake with the name but she told me she was certain. I always thought that malignant melanoma is a skin cancer. Can it also develop in the anus?

It seems that all three types of skin cancers can develop in the anus. Squamous cell carcinomas are the most common type of anal cancer. These tumors arise in squamous cells of the epithelium. Epithelium is a tissue that lines the anal margin and part of the anal canal. Basal cell carcinomas can develop from the perianal skin and Malignant melanoma develops in cells in the skin or anal lining that produce the brown pigment called melanin. The last two cancers are more common for skin area that are exposed to the sun but can also develop as anal cancers.

I have problems around that area. I had a bisopy taken there and it was ok. Where they took the bisopy has not healed. I have itching and some discomfort when having a bowel movement, but everytime.I have to go see a specialist Friday about the area that was bisopy to see what they can do for me. But since I have had this itching and discomfort I am afraid that it is more. Anyone else with similar problem?