So today I planned on running around 8-10 miles...beautiful day out...just perfect!

I'm on my trail and at about the 8 mile mark that SAME pain I was experiencing last week on the bottom of my right foot was now starting on my left foot!

It got worse and worse until I just had to stop. I ended up limping the last two miles home (and found it odd that the sun went away and it got colder as I walked)...

Last time this happened, I iced the foot down and didn't run for 4 days. That seemed to help. I'll do the same this time but I'm supa worried now that this is going to happen during the 1/2 in Madison.

It's an odd area. Definitely on the bottom of the foot, towards the outer edge...right in the middle part of foot. I have NO idea why this is happening?!

ANY kind of advice would be wonderful!

joel :|

Hows the mileage on your current shoe?

sounds shoe-ish to me too. are your calfs really tight? maybe some extra gentle lower leg stretching and massage.

Joel,

I am not to sure what would cause that, but at this point in the schedule you would be tapering. Since that is the case you could take some time off and let the foot heal. Then after a few days get out and put in some easy miles to stretch the legs out. You won't lose much, if any conditioning.

Good Luck!

The shoes are relatively new and I'd say I probably have about 140 miles on them. They're the exact model I've had previously, and now that I'm thinking about it, in the past, after I break the shoe in I put in some Dr Scholls 'air-pillows' for extra cushion.

I haven't done that with these, so I wonder if that may be a reason.

It's the morning now and it's still pretty painful (I still have to limp when I walk...but it doesn't hurt if I'm not moving around)...

Go see a sports doctor/podiatrist to confirm what's wrong.

:1:
Might want to get an X-Ray. Just to rule out a broken bone.

peroneal tendonitis would be my guess...ice & rest & advil like candy should let you take a trial spin for a couple of miles on tue or wed...if it's okay then i'd continue with the ice for a couple of days while stretching the foot (fill and freeze a 20 oz coke bottle, set it on the ground and roll your foot over it) and gently stretch your calfs...if you feel pain during your run, i'd scratch the half....but typically unless you have a couple of days rest should take care of this...

also, if it truly is peroneal tendonitis, you may be over-striding a bit...also may want to look at a shoe with more pronation control...

---
megawill

hmmm...each article state this: This common overuse injury is characterized by heel pain that is worse in the morning with the first few steps. Such is not the case though. In fact the pain is at it's weakest when I get up in the morning. And I guess I'm just puzzled on why it's happening NOW? I mean, it's not like I've been doing anything drastically different with my running. Hmmm, I may just have to go to the doctor like y'all suggested... The scary part is that if it strikes again during the half, I'm 'done dancin' :(

if your pain is mid-arch and on the lateral side it's most likely not Plantar's...save yourself the doctor's bill for now...give yourself a couple of days rest along with icing, minor stretching etc...and see how it feels...if you have pain after a couple of days and it continues by all means see a doc, but a doc isn't going to give you a magical prescription that will make it better b4 the half...other then what you've already been told...and I'd bet that a little ice and rest will take care of it...
---
megawill