Run that is. :shrug: Physically I know I can but once I get out there my mind gives up on me. I've taken a few months really easy thinking I was just burned out, but it hasn't helped. Has anyone gone thu this and how did you get over it?

I haven't hit that stage yet. I am at a stage where I am not happy with my speed but I am still trying to get out and run 5 days a week.

Maybe you need to switch to a different training cycle with more cross training like rowing or biking?

I think it is burnout. Maybe you should take a complete break from running. But set a time limit, like 3 weeks. Or maybe you need a long-term goal to get you motivated again. Signing up for a big race helped me. In my case it's the NYC marathon. Once I signed up for that, I registered for shorter races along the way to keep my competitive fires stoked. I think you should try the break thing first, but make a promise to yourself that at the end of the three weeks, you'll go out for an easy, relaxed run. Maybe get a friend involved & have him/her hold you to your commitment. I hope this helps!

Although it sounds like burnout, you may need to switch gears and try something else for a few weeks to a few months. Spinning classes, bicycling, aerobics, yoga, dance or maybe water sports if you have access to a pool.

For now you would probably benefit by doing other things that interest you than running. Then in the spring time as the weather becomes more conducive try running again, unless you have found something else that keeps you in shape that you enjoy better by then.

Unless the people replying to your post know your traning program, I don't see how everyone arrives at the conclusion that its burn out.
Mind you that could well be the case if you have over raced. But my guess would be that you are running to one of those program's which lay's down a certain distance on such and such a day; day after day week, and month after month etc. etc.
My tip would be, depending on what you are training for is to stick with your running, but change the make up and of the pacing of your runs.
ie. LONG run; really rein back and run it at the pace your Grandmother would run.
MID DISTANCE; try an out and back run. Go out 20 minutes and come back at hard race pace.
AYF RUNS:(as you feel) this is probally what you have been doing most of the time and is why you can get that lethergic feeling.
Still throw in a couple of these runs each week but put in at least 3 by 2 minute hard efforts.
SHORT HARD RUN THROUGH'S. If you haven't done eny of this sort of work before; go easy, Try 10 by 40metres with a walk back recovery.
I repeat if you haven't done this sort of work before take it easy.

Now all of this is pretty generalised stuff, but give it a go, if you are going to snap out of the miseries its up to you.
"IF IT IS TO BE ITS UP TO ME"

I think I should clarify...
My background is in psychology, so when I think about burnout, I'm primarily thinking of the mental aspects of burnout: when you're just plain tired of running; when it's just not interesting anymore; when it becomes a chore rather than something you look forward to. This can definitely arise even when you don't have a particular training plan or racing schedule. Sometimes the best thing to do is to take a break...sometimes absence does make the heart grow fonder. Sometimes you need a long-term goal to motivate you. Of course, psychological burnout can and does manifest itself physically...slower, more effortful running, etc.
Training burnout seems to be of a different breed...probably resulting from an overzealousness for the sport...wearing your body to the ground. And the symptoms can be very similar to psychological burnout.
But instead of training differently, maybe you need to reasess your reasons for running. Again, sometimes that means taking a step back. Sometimes that means creating a more tangible reason to run. There really is no point in changing your training if running for the sake of running is just not interesting anymore.
Well, I'm rambling.

I'm not following a training program at all at the moment. I've just tried to cut back to give myself a break, but not quit completely, because I'm afraid I'll never start again.

The funny thing is I still look forward to running and I get out there to do it and *poof* about halfway thu I end up walking back. And the treadmill is really bad. :umno:

I used to be very driven and determined but I think I used it all up!

What about a run/walk program when that happens. Once you hit that spot where you quit, walk for a few minutes, then run a few and hopefully once you begin running again you'll want to stay running. (if not, you're still getting in some miles and exercise)
Sorry you're going through this!

Yep, I was considering this. Using the walk\run program I used while learning to run.Now all I gotta do is find it!!
Thanks for all your responses!!

OK, I'm the newbie but let me thow out my $0.02 worth. The funny thing is I still look forward to running and I get out there to do it and *poof* about halfway thu I end up walking back. It doesn't sound like motivation is an issue if you still have the desire to run. I seem to be just the opposite - I need to force myself to get out of bed but once I'm on the road I'm OK. You say you lose motivation in the middle of the workout. How is your food intake and diet? How is your sleep? Are you getting enough? I know that when I'm lacking in these two areas running is a complete chore. I'm not following a training program at all at the moment. And this is the other thing that kills me. No purpose. I do SO much better if I have a goal and a program to achieve that goal. That keeps it interesting to me. Otherwise I'm just staying in shape which just isn't exciting enough to me. Grunt

akern,

don't leave us this way....

your running shoes. :(

(sign up for a half) get a written program. lose your watch. just run.

when i get "stuck" mid run, i try to imagine how good i will feel having finished the whole run, and how crappy i will feel if i bag it in the middle... i also try to lose myself in my own thoughts - and they're anything but running....just plan stuff, do headwork, just daydream..... the very worst place to be in a run is halfway there. i think :umno:

i actually have the worst time getting out there - that first sluggish mile.

akern phone home.

:1: I agree with what RR says! Remember how great it feels to finish a run, especially a hard one. (hard physically or mentally) I have given up on a few runs only to kick myself for it. But when I finish a tough fun I feel like nothing can stop me ever! except for knee pain!

One (of many) things I think of during a "rough patch" is a video I saw on the Western States 100. Part of running an ultra is having the mental mindset of continuing to run through anything. Ultimately, these runners looked back and talked about "rough patches" and despite that, they kept going and it eventually passed. I couldn't imagine how a "rough patch" of, for instance, miles 61 & 62 could be mentally worked through, but they do. And when a "patch" comes about at mile 4 in a measly 7-miler for me, I think about how it will pass if I just keep going. It does too.

Phar makes some good points. Mixing things up might be the ticket. Do you run the same old routes? Are you keeping a schedule of hard/easy & long runs?

Driving to a trail or getting dropped off somewhere to run home are a few things to spicen things up. You're in a big enough city that I'm sure you could join a running club and log some miles with a group. Especially that weekend long run becomes much easier when sharing the pain. Or things like running your old routes in the opposite direction or bicycling to a distant park to find new sights.

The last point you can :duh: me if you'd like, but just from reading between the lines in other posts, it might be a nutritional speedbump here too. Biting the bullet and sprucing up the diet might be what it takes to zip up your energy levels. :shrug:

hmmm...

I am usuallly the opposite. I can't get out there, but once I do..I'm fine.

There are lots of good suggestions in this thread

I have been feeling the same way lately mentally about running. I am slowly coming around. I keep thinking of the marathon I will be running in January and how great and happy I will feel when I complete it.