Hi! I'm new to this forum, so I'll tell you a little about me real quick. I used to be a sprinter in high school and then after high school didn't run at all until just a year ago (I'm 31 now). I started training with some friends and ran my first 25K race yesterday. My time was 2:57:13, which I was very happy with considering when I did my practice run 3 weeks ago I did it in over 3:15. I'm planning to run the 1/2 marathon and want to improve my speed. Any thoughts on the best way to do that?

Of course everyone is different, but what works well for me is to change up my training. Instead of trying to improve the total time of my run each day, I change my running pattern. I'll sprint for a mile, jog for 2 miles, sprint another mile, etc. I also have noticed that strength training my legs at the gym has helped considerably as well. It's not necessarily more training, but smarter training that will help.

Best of luck,
Brian