Hi, some time ago my mother started having problems. She is fifty years old. At first she complained that her mouth were dry. Later, she was having difficulties breathing. After seeing a doctor, the diagnosis has been made. It was Sjogren's syndrome. This illness affected the lungs of my mother. Is there something that you can tell me about Sjogren's syndrome and the problems that it can produce to lungs?

Hi, Sjogren's syndrome is not to be taken lightly. It is an autoimmune disease. Sometimes our immune system sees some tissue of our organism as an "enemy". It then produces antibodies to fight the tissue which causes illness. In the case of Sjogren's disease, the "enemies" are moisture producing glands. When this condition is present, common symptoms are dry mouth and eyes. However, a lot of other organs can be influenced. Among them are lungs. Usually this means that there is another illness present. Because the lungs are involved, I suspect it is lupus. A visit to the doctor will clarify all the things. Since it has already been done, I suggest that you see that your mother follows her doctor's orders because lupus and Sjogren's can lead to tissue destruction.