I was always told that steaming your veggies is one of the better methods of cooking, because that way the veggies stay nice and fresh. But now a friend of mine, who is a Martha Steward type, told me that steamed vegetables lose nutrients! I really didn't know that! Can anyone tell me whether this is true or not, and if it is, what the best method is? Thank you for your help!

Hello yelena1207,

If you must cook your veggies, then quickly stir fry them or steam them.  Do not boil them in water.  Steam carries more heat than boiling water and quickly tenderizes veggies.  This leaves a bright color, indicating they were cooked properly and that their nutrients are intact.  Vitamin Bs are heat sensitive and so is vitamin C.  Boiling destroys them.  Steaming your veggies is the way to go.  However, it depends on what you're trying to get out of the veggie.  For example, tomatoes.  If you want vitamin C from a tomatoe, then eat it raw or quick steamed.  If you want the lycopene (another antioxidant) from it, then you need to really cook it.  This activates the lycopene so your body can absorb it.  Lycopene is good for a number of tissues but particularly the prostate.  It's been known to prevent prostate cancer.