I was thinking that 14 miles was a pretty decent long run, but another member here said that 14 miles was 'semi-long'.

What's your opinion on what constitutes a long distance run?

For me 7 is my max for now. Last time I did 7 I felt I could do a few more.

I read this question over on the runner's world site. One guy said that any run where he had to re-fuel was a long run.
I think it's all relative, kinda like what Akern said. When I started out my marathon training, a 6 mile run was my "long run". Now I'm up to 20+.

I agree that it is relative to your fitness. This week I have a 14 miler planned.

I really depends on your training level too....if you're concentrating on the half, your long run is going to be shorter than someone's who is training for a full......proportionally I can't remember the exact ratio, but for me personally, my longest was 15 and my average longest that I was doing most consistently was 12. But I haven't trained for a full yet.

My "short" daily runs, when not injured, are between 5-6 daily, so the "long run" in my case is at least double the lowest part of that, or 10 miles. I'd consider middle distance runs following that formula to be like 7-8-9 depending on how long the long one was for that week.

Anything over an hour is a long run, so that would be 7+miles for me.

yes, a long run is very subjective, I agree.

And probably any time you go over 10 miles it's long. No matter what kind of workout it is.

i think anything 10 or over is long
7-10 is medium
5 to me is my ideal distance love that distance

Well if you look at most training guides for a marathon, your long runs start out at around 10-12 miles and then increase over the next 12 weeks, so I would have to say 10-12 is considered long.

Now if you ask an ultra marathoner...

RW magazine says you long run should be 20 -30% of your weekly mileage. I'll let you do the math.

1

Uh, except 7 miles takes me almost an hour and a half. I've done up to 15 miles, but most of the time my long run is 6-10 miles.

In the book I am reading the authors say that anything from 12-17 miles can be considered medium-long, and anything 18 and over is long. Guess they would consider a marathon real-long!