Before I describe the workout I've just switched to let me give some background info so you don't assume I'm totally clueless.

Not counting basic training in the air force (13 years ago) I hadn't been much for distance running until the last year.

For the last 4 months I've been running about 6 days a week getting about 25 MPW. Having harder and easier days. Longer and short/slower and faster runs. Been reading some running forums. I do have a pretty good understanding of what conventional accepted training is, more or less.

I had experimented once before with an unusual running program and I've gone back to it recently.

This program is simply and only run once every 3 or 4 days for a much longer distance. I'm still getting over 20 miles a week just starting and I hope to improve this to something respectable down the road.

My first run back to this I went for 1 hour 45 minutes, 3 days later I did 10 miles in 1 hour and 57 minutes, 3 days later I did 11.3 miles in 2 hours and 7 minutes. Not blazing runs but I'm 225lb (not fat at all) and I feel like I'm improving very quickly. I certainly feel better on this program then when running 6 days a week.

Mentally there is no comparison between the two types of workouts. I feel so, so, so much better. The run is so much more enjoyable. Physically it seems to be superior at least so far. (Had the same experience when I tried it before 6 months ago.)

So has anybody else ever reported good success with such a training routine?

I have never tried it, but if it is working for you, then fantastic! I'd think you may want to toss in a week of shorter miles every once and awhile just to give your legs a rest. Let us know how everything progresses!

Are you training for anything specific?

Not really at this point. Too slow to matter.

Just want to improve in general. Be able to run 6 minute miles without breathing hard. :D That sort of thing.

Did 12.8 miles in 2:24 last run.

I assume it would be said that I'm training to run slooooow. But I'm not doing these runs at the same pace all the way. Want to have some faster paced parts mixed within, eventually.

I think that as long as you're not trying to train for a 5K that way AND you're enjoying yourself AND your body can handle the long miles, then you should go for it.

As much as our politically correct running world hates to bring it up, weight really is just about factor number one in being able to run faster. Unfortunately I can speak firsthand about spending some time up at the 225 mark and then returning to 165 made for night and day in the world of running. Reading what BBM is saying, at 195 my pace was in the area you're talking of and when I'm at 165, 7:00s is what I can run.
Don't get me wrong, I'll be first in line to giving kudos for getting out there and pounding the pavement, but being lighter is how daily running and higher mileage is possible.

Well, I just don't want to have skinny arms. I'm sure I could get down to 180 and still lift weights plenty.

I ran with a lady that only ran 3 times a week with pretty good success: long run, speed work, and mid distance run. She actually ran a 3:15 marathon. From my own experience though, long and slow= long and slow marathon. I do think for a beginner that it doesn't matter so much---just get the miles in, period.

BBM---think reps....don't give up the weight lifting do more lighter. Also, you have good speed.....after you have a 3-4 months of adding mileage at a slow pace, you really would benefit by following a program. Specifically, Lactate threshold runs, tempo runs......read up about these. I'm guessing that this is where you'll need some work as you sound like me.(I ran 400 in hs and have no problem with long distance runs---it's that distance inbetween). I agree with jrjo with the weight issue, but I don't think you should worry about it at this point.

sue

You don't have to ignore your upper body to be a decent runner. I lift weights 3 days a week for my upper body and at 167 lbs can bench 235 lbs. Not power lifter status by any stretch but also not skinny. I'm running 19 minute 5k's at age 44.