Hi, I`m having the trouble with my sleep. I can`t sleep enough – am tired during the day, exhausted better to say, but when the night comes, simply can`t fall asleep. The cause of my condition is not really unknown - am very depressed and under a certain stress at work. Above all, have those awful headaches. Anyway, my doctor prescribed me Melatonin, but later I heard about Elavil. Anybody knows which one is better for my problem?

Hi, had some sleeping problem before year and a half, and tried both, Melatonin and Elavil. Melatonin is a popular drug, useful in combating insomnia and other sleep disorders. But, I`m surprised that your doctor has proscribed you with Melatonin, because daytime Melatonin cause depression. Did you tell him about your present depression? Doesn`t seem so. Elavil is tricyclic antidepressant, and is used to relieve the symptoms of depression and sleeping problems. So I vote for Elavil in your case, but better go see your doctor again. Some side effect of Elavil, just in case: allergic reactions, seizures, irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure and even a heart attack!