I am 42 years old and have been premenopause for 2 years. In July 06 I stopped having periods. In November started swelling in legs and feet. Stomach feeling fuller but it's holidays. By beginning of Dec. gained about an inch in waist no weight gain. By Christmas gained another inch. By January gained two more inches, and by the end of January gained another 5 inches and only 3 pounds difference. Very bloated pressure on my ribs and sometimes on my bladder. Goes down halfway at night and swells right back up as soon as I wake up. Sometimes very hard expecially on the left side. Sometimes you can see my stomach roll in areas or if I get stressed it goes bananas and there is pokes and rolls all over the place. I am constipated and there is mucas in the bowell movements. Is this IBS? and did the menopause bring it on? How long am I going to have to deal with the bloating?

I am also 42 years old and going through perimenopause. About 3 weeks ago I begain having the same abdominal swelling that you have described. I haven't gone to the doctor yet because I have no insurance but I am becoming more uncomfortable every minute of the day! Have you found out any info on what this is? I look nine months pregnant! And it does seems to get better during the night. But as soon as I'm up the swelling begins. I was fine one day and than the next... If I'm not any better by Monday I will have to go in because I can't stand it! Any info you may have found would be appreciated.

I am also 42 and I am experiencing bloating, low back pain and constipation. Walking becomes difficult. I too have some relief after sleeping. I had a total hysterectomy 6 years ago for endometriosis. The symptoms now are VERY similar to what they were then, so I think the endo's back somewhere else like maybe my intestines. Endo is difficult to diagnose. It can't be seen with CT scans or ultra sounds. A laparoscopy is the only way to find it. You might want to talk to your GYN about it.

My stomach is swollen or bloated or something, I look 6 months pregnant. somewhat constipated too. I don't know what to do. It's so embarrassing.

Has anyone received an answer to this question? I am 43 years old, premenopausel, and have the same condition regarding the constantly swollen stomach. Every month to two weeks it grows, but I don't gain wait. I have some constipation but nothing I'm concerned about since I can change that by drinking more water.

I was feeling hot flashes, bloated, and mood swings, I have even gained weight too. But I have found an answer on how to eliminate this menopause symptoms. I was really happy for it gave me an excellent result. I have stopped HRT and just took herbal products and lots of exercise instead. I lost pounds for just 6 weeks and somehow my stomach is flat compared before, and it was an improvement to me. You can check the articles about eliminating symptoms and ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed Cheers!

I have not had a period for two months now, but my stomach is so swollen , is there something i can take to reduce the size, my clothes are stretched over it, i have been going swimming but its not helping one bit.

I'm 49 and started having irregular periods when I turned 40.  My doctor told me I was too young for menopause but I suspected otherwise!  I haven't had a period for over 2 years so figure I'm now post menopausal. What has disappointed me is that only 2 years ago I was a relatively trim size 12 (NZ size) and now I weigh what I did at the end of my second pregnancy (72kg) which was 21 years ago.

Admittedly I don't exercise but I am careful with my food intake and do eat healthily.  While I feel I got off fairly easily with menopause symptoms the weight gain is depressing.  I don't want to excuse my weight gain by saying "oh, I'm post menopausal so that's my excuse" but I hate looking 9 months pregnant - especially as I'm only 5'1" high!  I don't even have height on my side to conceal it!  

Thats great it worked for you but I dont think exercise is the answer. I am going through full menopause (2 years now) and have put on 20 kgs. I am vergetarian and eat hardly anything at all. i do yoga 30 mins every day and walk 40 mins in morning.(yoga ive been doing 8 weeks and walking for years) Ive stopped eating now becuase I look like I am 8 months pregnant. HRT (No) I tried the cream and didnt notice any difference. Doctors should be able to prescribe something for us to lose the weight even if diet pills Im at my wicks end. I will read the articles (my mother is a herbalist, beleive me ive tried everything)

49 is not too young for menopause! the average age is 47 although alot of women can start around age 42. A docotr that tells you that is either a male or a woman who hasnt reached the age yet. Ive stopped eating altogether I was 68 kgs when I started menopause 2 years ago (I am 48 now) Now I weigh 90kgs. I look 8 months pregnant. I am vegetarian and exercise over 1 hour everyday. It seems that nobody really has an answer

Hi Im 41 I have a weight gain and look 8 months pregnant my legs are big and I eat 3 meals a day. I dont understand why my stomach looks this way. I dont feel I over eat. Ive nevet been this big at 180!! I dont have ins . I realize w age gaining is normal but to look like your 8 months pregnant is not. I still have my periods too. I do have thw essure does anyone think this is why??

I am 44 almost 45 and have not had a period in a year. I have hot flashes from hell. Im also a grandma of 4 so I dont think its too early ...but looking regnant sucks. Wish i knew what I could do.

I have same.my periods quit 4 yrs ago.my stomache swollen.my whole body swollen but I have no pain.my test came out fine...

I have been having the same thing core 2 and 1/2 years, and have been seen by a climatologist and had to have a cooker of Mississippi's however with each medical professional I see not one of them answer my question a out my stomach? They all skirt round it, and one even admitted that they had no clue why this stomach issue happens and won't even relate it to the menopause! So ffustratungy.

For 2 and a half years, gynaecologist, couple of hysteroscopys, about my stomach, so frustrating! (Corrections of the above because for some reason my text got changed after posting)