I have been on Hospice for 3 months because of wanting just comfort care for COPD. They have put me on high does of methadone to relieve the chest pain. They have now decided I have not gone down hill quick enough & are kicking me off the program. I will go through withdrawal. Does anyone know if they will help me find a doctor who will prescribe the doses I have been on or will they kick me out cold turkey. The nebulizer I use keeps my throat open & I will also be without this. When you are on Hospice you loose you regular doctor & are on Hospice doctor. I don't know what to expect. They also have me on valium.'

any help about what to expect of withdrawal would be appreciated. I am very sick from the COPD & looking for a doctor who would provide comfort care from the pain, but at a lost as where to turn in fear I would be kicked off another program.

you should be able to remain on all your medications that Hospice put in place for you, your insurance should still cover them. Just because you are not eligible for Hospice at this point does not mean you don't need to treat your symptoms. Tell your Doctor what you were on and comfortable on and he should perscribe the same. Good luck to you. I'm glad your condition improved!

My brother is going through the same thing right now with hospice. He is on it for COPD and they want to throw him off. He also has a lot of other serious issues. He has diabetes really bad where he is failing. He fell at home, and had to go to the hospital. Hospice could not help him because he had a big chunk taken out of his toe. He got a very bad infection, and was in the hospital for 9 days. He had to sign off from hospice, because the hospital wanted to go directly through his med. insurance. medicare or medicade. The day of his release, he was sent home with a pic inserted through his arm to his heart, which we had to learn how to administer the medication through the IV twice a day. The medicine given through the IV are antibotics and hepran. He is on oxicontin, methadon, valium for his pain management. Now they just want to shut him off without even referring him to another program. No detox involved. They say he is on his own. I just found out, there even taken out his oxygen machine.

Does anyone have an answer for me?