I've been on Methadone for a few years and I'm on 200mg. I found a program that offers rapid detox by putting the patient under anesthesia to put them into rapid withdrawal. I've been told by the program and read all of the literature that I will be obviously not feeling wonderful after this procedure, but that it's not even half as bad as the cold turkey or weening process. I'm looking for someone that's gone through this before or that knows someone who has. I'm flying out of state to Michigan to do it, and I'll be staying there for 4 days after with an around the clock nurse/caretaker, to take care of me. After that, I will be given medications to help with my symptoms. Ie, sleep medications, muscle relaxers, anxiety medication, etc. I will only be home for a day before I get on another plane and fly to England where I'll be for the next year. The reason I'm looking for someone that's been through it is because I'm terrified of how I'm going to feel on my flight to England. It's nonstop and the nurses I've spoken to tell me that basically, I'll be so drained and tired after the procedure, all I will want to do is sleep. If all I will be is slightly disoriented and sleepy, that, to me is something I've experienced PLENTY of times and handle quite well. But I don't handle withdrawal symptoms well and I am terrified... It's not as if I'm on 10mg or even 100mg. 200mg is a lot to drop off from and these procedures are FAR from cheap. The cost of everything is about $10,000. Has anyone experienced this or known someone that has? Will I be able to sleep until I arrive in England or will they thing I'm dying from the Swine Flu or something and not let me into the country at all. I am so scared. :-(

I would also like to add that while under sedation, I'll be given a naltrexone implant in my abdomen to help me as well. I'm not 100% what Naltrexone does to help withdrawal, so please someone... if you know more about this other than what you can find in a simple pamphlet online, I'd appreciate it more than words can say.

You are in a rock and a hard place, I too am on methadone but no where near that high of a dosage im on 60mg a day for about 3 years, to me I think both of us could probably gradually decrease on our own if we wanted but once we got pretty low and started getting withdrawl symptoms we would be stuck. My understanding is they are horrible and to much to bear. My other concern is do you take methadone for pain? if so rapid detox what would control your pain? the good news is methadone I believe is part aganoist and antagonist at the opioiod receptors mu ku kappa binding sites, where as oxy contin or diludad are pure antagonist , the naloxine they want to implant and is used during the sleepy anasthesia does the exact oposit at the bindind sites. My question is why do they want to implant it? it seems to risky to me when it can be taken orally I believe or adminstered via IV during the anasthesia.
It seems like there are lot of risks doing the rapid detox read this article it talks about opioids

also methadone is a long acting so I hope they put u out longer, in the end it seems one way is risky and very expensive $10,000 or more and the other cant be done without severe withdrawl that cant be handled it seems. For me I would probably decrease as much slowley over time on my own then try suboxone and then come off that and possibly if withdrawl gets to bad to use benzos like xanax and possible anasthesia if I can afford it without them administiring the rapid detox drugs to reverse the effects of the opioids. Hope this helps read that article and look into it some more.

Hi there girl afraid, I was wondering how it went for you? I am Methadone myself and sick of it. I am wondering if your flight was alright and how you have been going since? Well done on taking such a huge step.. I am just considering options at the moment but it seems hard to find real experiences of this rapid detox. Hope your progress is going well!

sorry I couldnt give you any feedback, I just checked the date on your pot and it is recent :$ generally all the posts I have been reading have been years old.. when are going to take this leap? stuff coming down slowly off 200 mg, my doctor reckons it can never kill you but I have my doubts. Please let me know how it goes,..

I want to reply to both comments here. First, I will be under anesthesia for only a few hours. Before that for a week, I'll be on a "cleanse". Obviously anyone on methadone knows that we're pretty much constipated most of the time. I can NOT get methadone in the UK since it's a program free for citizens and I will not be one. I would either be kicking cold turkey or getting the help from the rapid detox. I've been told that I'll be given a decent amount of benzos after the initial procedure, as well as sleep medication and all in fairly high doses for weeks. I've been told, which I hope is true that I'll have a definite lack of apetite, feel pretty rough, have trouble sleeping, but that the hardest part will be done while I sleep. I will remain in their care for a few days after the procedure and they'll be giving me medication that will be given to me by my boyfriend. The day after I return, I'm still planning to fly out to England.

I have been told it's NOT safe to come off of 200 MG in one jump by some and by others, I've been told it can happen but requires a very strong person. I was a heroin addict at 13 years old. I bet your @ss that I've been through some hard things in my life. I know I can do this and I'm ready to bee off of this stuff. I'm tired of the libido being GONE. I'm tired of being fat. I'm tired of having to check in if I want to go away for 2 weeks so I can get my take home bottles and if they don't approve my spur of the moment getaway I don't go anywhere. I just need off, and this is the only way I've found that helps a bit. I have faith it'll work and I will keep this forum up to date as much as I can. I obviously won't bring my computer with me there, but I will post when I get to my hotel before I fly to england.

Am I scared? Yes. Am I freaking out? Yes. But am I considering backing out? No way. I've gone way too far to turn back now. I'll keep you posted.

Sorry one more important thing. I will be there from Feb 8th until Feb 13th. I will be sure to post about everything if I'm able. How I feel, in as much detail as possilbe when I return. I'll be staying in a hotel one night then off to England. So wish me luck...

Sorry, but what article? You didn't post anything.

My thoughts are with you and of course I wish you every success with your detox. I have read a few posts which say that it is easy to get off Methadone after paying for a Rapid detox but I have only read one which states they were a bit crook for a few days. Jeez compared to the other things I have read which give me cramps just reading, a few days of anything sounds better than a few weeks. I'm sure you have probably found the same but it will certainly be interesting to hear from you about your Journey with this Rapid Detox. Is it that Weisman one you are doing>?

If it does go perfectly which I hope it does please throw in a few symptoms for good measure..,. Those people who say it goes perfectly from Methadone I simply can't fathom them not being someone who is selling Rapid detox although for you sake I pray that it is true as that is all I seem to be able to find online. Hopefully soon some stories pop up here :-)

Goodluck and look forward to hearing from you soon.

OK. For those of you that were wondeing how it all went, I'm going to be frank and honest about it all.

The day I arrived, it was a pre-exam day. Basically, they asked a lot of medical history questions, and made me fill out tons of paperwork. They also collected all of the money for everything. I was on methadone, 200mg, so they said it was NOT optional about getting a Naltrexone implant. Which I hate by the way, but we'll go back there in a bit. I also opted not to bring a friend with me and pay the 20$ an hour for private nurses to take care of me after the procedure. Best decision of my life....

Next day, I was the first patient. Had to be there super early, and everything seemed rather rushed. I didn't feel like a patient. I felt like a chore. That's the best way I can describe the way it all seemed. Very surreal. I was told to go into the bathroom, take off everything, and put on a big diaper. THAT was the worst part of it other than the sort of, coldness and unreal feeling I had going through me. They got an IV going quickly, only one stick, which is a first for me. Next thing I knew I was just dazed and twilight sedated. I don't remember much after that. I remember one thing that I will NEVER forget. After the procedure, there was no one at my bedside at all times. I fell numerous times and they had to come and help me. I couldn't walk, my legs wouldn't hold me. Next thing I knew, I was in my hotel room, still extremely doped up. They had me drinking constantly out of a sort of baby sippy cup. Gatorade. It was NOT a fun time. For three days I was like a really sick baby. They just kept feeding me pills to help me sleep and counteract the symptoms I had. I had to wear a diaper, which I definitely messed MANY times. Which is why I said I'm glad I opted for a private nursing staff. Everyday got a little better. I still think some of it was a little bit shady. I'm not sure where a lot of the cash I had with me went, and I can't remember half of my stay because they keep you really doped up. They get you coherent enough to fly home in a few days.

Now, I was still pretty icky, but nothing close to cold turkey. I managed to get on a plane, although I needed to be wheeled because my strength wasn't quite up to par yet. I was met at the airport by friends and they took care of me for a day and the next day I flew to England and managed to sleep through the whole flight. Every single day, I get better. I feel "normal" when I'm on the right medications. They have me taking sleep aids at night but I have to say, the sleeplessness is the same no matter how you quit. I have yet to sleep through the night. I take valium and ambien to sleep, and keep a xanax or seroquel on the side for if I wake up in the middle of the night. My problem is more of that restless leg thing. It hits me about 4 in the morning and then I'm just tossing and turning. As for my energy level, it's defintiely increased. If the weather wasn't so bad, I'd go out and walk more. When I was on methadone, I was always hot. Sweating even. Ever since I got off, I'm constantly cold, but I think I'm just adjusting. I'm hoping for some middle ground. My stomach still isn't cooperating, but it's my own fault for not following instructions and taking probiotics. Yogurt and stuff. I've definitely lost a decent amount of weight which is nice, and I hope it continues. Ah, one last thing, appetite. I literally have to force myself to eat. I have no idea when I'm hungry or thirsty. My boyfriend basically says either I tell him what I want to eat or he's going to cook and I don't want that. Smells are very strong. So since the procedure, I'm sort of on a toast and butter or bagel and cream cheese diet. I not nauseous at all...I just have no desire to eat.

So there is my summary. Now for my complaint about the naltrexone implant. I'm a girl who likes to have the occasional glass of wine or cocktail when I go out with friends. I also smoke which I ahve no desire to quit just yet. Now... before anyone decided to get this implant, let it be known that it blocks your receptors... Narcotics, alcohol, and cigarettes. Of course I still have the cravings to smoke, even if it's just out of habit but they taste like c**p. I had a drink last night for the first time, ok, probably not too bright since I took sleeping pills, but even so, it had no affect on me. So if anyone is thinking about naltrexone, I'd think twice. They say I HAVE to take it for a year, but once this implant dissolves I'm done with it. It's supposed to keep blocking your receptors as your body detoxifies. Anyone who has been on methadone or is on it, knows it lingers for a LONG time. It gets in your bones, muscles and fat cells. So your body tries to hold on to it.

If anyone has ANY questions about the procedure or questions about specific issues I may or may not have incurred, feel free to email me at saoirsesweet at gmail dot com.

UROD = ultra rapid opiate detoxification. A modality made infamous by a doctor out of NYC, believe his name should not be mentioned as my information source are the two brothers that endured this treatment, from airport on return to psychiatrists office (we refer to each other), where he sent them to myself, an internist- both were blatantly medically unstable. Now bear in mind that all of us are different, have differing histories, immune system capabilities and neuron membrane receptor remodeling rates. But in these two anecdotal case reports I found both severely dehydrated (which alone can make one feel like crxp) and in florid withdrawal. One came off a 200mg methadone habit decade plus old and the other a long history of heroin usage, binge type, but a long long run this time. Sophisticated intelligent imbibers, and with a thin tolerance for whining remaining in myself I first hydrated using intravenous saline with a little kcl 20meq/l, had my surgeon open the implant incision to remove the naltrexone implant, and slapped a duragesic patch on each to return to baseline, a tolerable state of withdrawal. It is extremely difficult to equate a fentanyl dosage to any of the better known opiates and it is just easier to detox a "veteran" if the patient is unaware of their dosage. So that is my experience first hand with urod treatment. The pellet came out on day 3 intact in one and day 4 starting to crumble in the other. Implanted Trexan will block all opiate receptors for a good month or two so once that pellet melts/crumbles nothing short of anesthesiologist monitored, ventilator handy dosages can break thru it. IF NECESSARY buprenorphine does have a higher receptor binding affinity than naltrexone so will displace it. (drug is key, lock is receptor best to think of it that way.) Girl Afraid it seems you are 12 days out and would be very interested in your experiences over the next month so please post. Altho off the top you are one tuff cookie, hang in there. After making it this far and demonstrating the desire by the sizable investment you made in yourself, even justifying one taste down the road actually justifies the next thousand. This is the first neutral or slightly positive report of this modality I have found and I am curious of others???? Ketamine was the knockout agent used while narcan drip removed the opiods from receptors, and both were untouched by 30/50 mg diazepam qid afterward. They lasted three days in hotel in diapers before being capable of mustering the energy to escape to cab and airport so how long and how much BZD were allotted before release? UROD seems to be recovering from initial bad press and several sites in this country are advertising so as a clinician it is very important that this method has hard factual reports online easy to find for those souls desperate to be free but sufficiently addicted that a trip to Oz on ketamine while narcan is poured in and pellet implanted can be medically hazardous. The practitioner whose mess I had to clean up has lost license, had several fatalities, and done some time guest of DOC. So please keep posting your progress. ANY easily done, short time requirement "procedure" is highly lucrative so objective reports from those purveying the process are unreliable. Only the first hand patient reports are of use. Girl Afraid's words are more valuable than any article in a journal on this subject. 20k/treatment was the tab and that was nearly 7-9 years ago. So you did get a bit of a bargain.

So far, the only bad press I can give this clinic which was in Michigan, is the sh*t bedside manner. The nurses that took care of me afterward changed me...fed me, and there was a paramedic that came and checked on me often. I am in NO way saying I feel 100%. I am 2 weeks out, and I WISH I knew how to take out this implant. I would've much rather been on the pills. The list of medications that I'm on is not a short one. I'm taking a couple of different benzos. Xanax and Valium, but only at bedtime. During the day, once at about 7:30am and once at 7:30pm are (please excuse the spellings because I'm not looking at the bottles) nurontin, soma, bentyl, duricef and pheregan. In the begining I was on a lot more bezos, having the valium and xanax as twice daily's as well. I'm trying to ween off of the benzos as I was on xanax and Ambien before I even went through the treatment. I have to say though, the only time I suffer is when it's bedtime. Even with the Seroquel, valium, Xanax and Ambien, I can NOT sleep through the night. But if that's what the worst of it is, at least for now, I can't complain. Slowly my appetite is coming back. Tonight was the first night I ate something other than toast. Chicken and rice, actually. So far...it hasn't "run through me" like most other things have. I had to find a doctor here in the UK to fill my prescriptions, because the clinic that PROMISED to ship me any meds I needed, failed miserably. I would've been out of the meds they gave me by wednesday, and that would NOT have been a good thing. I still need the occasional SOMA during the afternoon, due to the fidgeties that I get. Oh, and just so people know, I DO recommend this method. I do NOT recommend the clinic I went to. They take on 10 patients a week, which seems like too much of a load for them and I didn't feel cared for at the clinic itself. They also use a really screwy dodgy pharmacy that charged me over 100$ in medications that I ordered from them last week and STILL haven't arrived. I have a feeling that even if I return it (that is, if I'm not arrested here in the UK for having prescriptions sent over the border) that they won't return my money. The pharmacist told me himself that he doesn't ship them directly because he's not allowed to. So yeah, I'm doing well. I go for daily walks and they're getting easier. I have enough (hopefully) medication to last me through the worst of my symptoms. I'm not sure what else I can write to convince people that I'm not a spokesperson for some RDD clinic. I'm happy things worked out for me. I didn't expect it to work. We (my boyfriend and I) researched as much as we could, but I couldn't find anything useful online. Not in any medical journals, or private blogs, posts on med websites, NADA. And we were told if I wanted to opt for this treatment from the UK, that they flew me OUT of the country since they don't even do it here. When I met the doctor here, she was shocked about my implant. Which I had to remove the stitches on my own... If I knew it could be taken out, I would've ripped the sucker out. It seems pointless since I'm also taking Naltrexone pills. I don't know what was in the drip..sorry, but I do know it definitely got me off of methadone, and it was something I thought I'd never be able to do. I love to travel and it near impossible being on methadone. They can only give you so many "take homes" and having my boyfriend living in the UK just got so expensive. We couldn't keep traveling back and forth and I wanted to come for six months. So, a little over two weeks out of the nightmare, and I'm improving, from what I can tell, daily. I don't want to say that other people would have the same reaction as me. I saw other people that were treated the same day as me, WALK out of the hotel. One guy was on 2,000mg of Oxy. Or at least that's what I heard. But Oxy is easier to kick than methadone. I still say anyone who has questions can email me. my email is saoirsesweet at gmail dot com. I don't know what else I can say. Ciao.

WoW!! hats off to you. 200mg/d is a strong habituation. Equivalent to 50mg MS every 6 hours, or 10 4mg dilaudid each six hours. Well same as if there are folks 6 foot 8 then there must be some 4 foot 2, so you are fortunate in being on the right half of the bell shaped distribution curve for constitutional strength. Sadly the implant crumbles on day 4, day 3 we plucked out in one piece, so by now its powder interspersed interstitially, not removable but empty is empty so really is not doing much right now EXCEPT blocking anything you may take.

Were you under my care I would advise against clouding/complicating the picture and leave bzd's where they are for now. One monster problem you are coping with and why look for more difficulty. After these initial stage symptoms resolve by the time the pellet is gone, say a month or bit more it has been my experience weakness and an amotivational state are most problematic and (you will not like hearing this) but physical exercise, as overwhelmingly impossible as it may seem will stimulate endogenous/your own neuropeptides as well or better than anything.

Cannot sleep? then run/walk around block or park (assuming safe) for awhile. It may sound simplistic but physical exertion and mental exercise actually will accelerate the healing process.

Think of it this way- the nerve cells involved have receptors/locks and your/my body makes keys to turn on/off. The endorphins are one of about 30 keys/neuropeptides, most of which we have no idea of their precise function. These float around in the clear fluid inside brain the CSF for cerebro spinal fluid. Now if that nerve cell surface is bombarded with fake endorphins from the outside (exogenous) over time the number of receptors/locks actually increase. normal may be 10 per square whatever but after a few years on methadone now there are say 50 per square (cannot think of brit length measurement, stones for weight, fortnights for time, hands?) anyway our bodies continually remodel so that 7 years from today virtually every atom in you and myself will have turned over/been replaced. thyroid hormone regulates this process. Receptor density remains under investigation but is much quicker. So if you are used to 48/50 to feel normal and production is maxed at 10 well 10/50 will not go far. Particularly since all 50 have the wrong key, naltrexone from implant, plugging the lock up. receptor binding affinity is medical lingo. The keyhole is plugged but the lock is unturned. A month roughly before those plugs are gone. After time your density will return to 10. While this process is poorly understood what is certain is that physical exertion will increase the amount of endorphins being produced- certainly you have heard of the "runners high". But if you can hang on, especially a month from date of implant, it is certain that a morning will come unexpectedly when you wake up and say to yourself "I kind of feel ok/good today". Make it to that day and everyday will exceed the one before, with a newfound appreciation for the simplest of pleasures.

Personally I fail to understand why this concept of percentage receptors activated has not been researched further in search of better treatment methods but I have seen the electron micrographs of rat brain sections with receptors immunoflourescently stained and receptor number increases (light up like a Christmas tree) when flooded with opioid agonists.
This pleasure center is involved in learning and matters beyond our scope here but I wanted to convey strongly that you are well on your way, really have no choice until pellet is gone, and by then you will be thru the worst and just wait for that unexpected day. I want to thank you for opening my mind to an issue that apparently I had closed in ignorance. Good luck and hope a little less afraid. And I mean Thank You.

P.S.
Duracef- cephalosporin antibiotic
Phenergan- thins secretions
above likely to prevent infection if vomit into lungs?
Neurontin- for peripheral nerve pain/spasticity leg wiggles
Seroquel- antidepressant of sorts
seems like alot of meds unless more than I know, but if part of urod, lose one at a time, before benzo's which are hands down the best muscle relaxant, I want to avoid advice but were I in your place I would maintain them until you start forgetting to take, you really have overcome a major life threatening problem so why get greedy, go easy on yourself.

one last comment- narcan= naloxone lasts 15-30min NOT absorbable thru GI tract while Trexan= naltrexone is absorbable last 6-12 hrs

Well, I'm 5' tall and fairly chubby since I got on Methaone. I have been using physical exercise to stop the cramping in my legs and the icky sort of cabin fever I get. Mostly fast paced walking with my ipod on. Also, my sense of smell is more keen than ever. I smell EVERYTHING and EVERYTHING smells bad. I wonder if Naltrexone has anything to do with that. Oh, and um.. My libido decided to spring itself on me last night which was a hell of a surprise, because anyone who is anyone that knows anything about methadone, knows that you lose it. It's like going sailing with no wind. Which in my humble opinion is reason enough to get off of it. Who can live without the desire to be touched? Not I.

Methadone quickly just becomes convenience. You got up in the morning, before work (or school in my case), hit the clinic, and head on to where you need to go. I'd be interested to know any long lasting side effects of Naltrexone from someone OTHER that the stupid clinic or some google hit. I'm terrified that when it's completely dissolved and my body has absorbed what it can of the implant, that I'll go into withdrawals. My meds after this weekend will be down to once a day, other than the sleep stuff. Seroquel wasn't being used as a mood stabilizer but as a sleep aid. I don't suffer from any kind of mental illness other than being a little neurotic, but what woman isn't right?

I'm glad people are able to find interest in my case. And I said to myself after the treatment I would write up a full summary so that when someone googles it, they get some F'ing facts. I looked EVERYWHERE online. I either got extremely positive remarks which sounded like they were written by the clinics themselves, or I got the complete opposite, telling me that I was either going to die or still be extremely ill for weeks. So I'm glad I pursued this, because to be honest, as I've said before, it is NOT a miracle cure. It will shove the stuff out of your system but your bones and fat cells hang onto it even after you've been put into complete withdrawals. This, I believe is what the implant is for. I have no intention of taking it for a year. Why the hell should I? Methadone does not remain in the body for a year. A 2 month implant sounds sufficient to me. Since I'm in the UK and an American Citizen, I pay everything private. And prescriptions aren't cheap.

As for today, admittedly, I feel a little bit better than yesterday, waking up. I am still taking two different concoctions of sleep meds. I have an ambien on the side in case I wake up at 3am and just can't get back to sleep. My lack of motivation to actually get things done is sort of come and go. I smoke, which I mentioned before, tastes like complete and utter c**p because of my implant.Anyway, in order to smoke, I need to walk down a flight of stairs and come back up. I'm also walking up this pretty steep hill once daily just for good measure. I'm looking into gym memberships, but everything around here is way too expensive. I'll find something soon. I know it. It's just that I'm the ultimate procrastinator. I just have trouble getting motivated. And I can't say it was much different when I was on Methadone. But BEFORE methadone, I was a fitness freak. So... I just don't know and time will tell. My email is somewhere in this thread if anyone wants to know anything more personal that I might not feel comfortable writing out, but all in all, I'm fairly easy game and an open book. So take advatage while you can. Because when I get busy again, you all might just lose me.

Hi girl I am also going to the Michigan RDD method in west bloomfield on Wednesday I'm scared but its worth the risk I'm sick of this ball and chain I'm on 84mg of methadone and luckily my mom has the means to help me pay for it after the hotel stay I'm going to rehab for 60 days to learn how to basically live a normal life congrsts on the big step please put urself in some sort of rehab because my boyfriend has been off methadone for four months and still has days he is sick