I had the mirena IUD put in in July 2009 after my 5th child. I never had any problems with it. I have never been able to feel the strings and the doctor said it's normal for them to curl up, so to speak. I haven't felt myself the past several weeks. I had a feeling I was pregnant, not sure why. I went to the doctor for a cyst and he checked my IUD and it's in place and doing fine. The cyst went away after a few days. I still felt odd. I had no morning sickness so I was sure I wasn't pregnant, as that's always one of my first signs. But my breats are tender, I've gained weight because my pants are all snug. I have been eating like crazy and I usually don't eat a lot. Yesterday I woke up feeling sick to my stomach. I knew I had to be pregnant. Today, I have felt icky and starting spotting a little. Then suddenly, I began having contractions. Every few minutes my abdomen hardens like when you're in labor. I called my sister, who had a miscarriage recently, and she said when she had hers she started having a little cramping and contractions. After a while she passed a clot and bled for a few days. I am now waiting the passing of the clot. The contractions are getting harder and more uncomfortable. I know the mirena is supposed to kill the sperm and not allow the fertilized egg to implant if sperm does get through. I've been actively sexual since I had this put in and have never had this happen before. Usually with the IUD you just miscarry and never know, but this time, I know I am so I must be further along than normal. I haven't taken a pregnancy test because I didn't think I could be pregnant. I haven't had sex in 6 weeks so I am at least 6 weeks along. 

I would call a doctor, a miscarriage with an iud can be more dangerous. If there is any tissue/blood left you could get a severe infection or start to hemorrhage not to mention your body might keep contracting if it believes the iud itself needs to be expelled. Also your chances of PID are doubled.