I have had the Mirena IUD in for over a year now. I have been experiencing pain on my left side under my rib cage,pelvic pain,and pain in my back. I never had pain like this until after I got the Mirena IUD put in. My doctors have done bloodwork,urine tests,catscans,an endoscopy,and an colonoscopy,but all of those test came back normal. The doctors do not know for sure what is causing my pain on my left side,pelvic area,and back. Does anyone else have similiar symptoms after having the Mirena IUD put in? I also have a septated and tilted uterus which is where the Mirena IUD gets implanted into. Could my uterus being the way it is and having the Mirena IUD implanted into it be causing all of my pain? Can anyone with any insight to my problem please give me some feedback. I am thinking about getting the Mirena IUD removed especially if it could help relieve my pain!

My dr told me that the IUD can cause alot of pain and most people get it takin out because the pain is so sever, I wanted to get it also but im already having pain so she said i couldnt get it =-(
Do some research on google and other sites that tell u about the side effects!!
Good Luck !!!

Hi
***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

, since my last post on March 5th I have had the Mirena IUD removed on March 23rd. I have to give it a little more time for my body to go back to normal to see if the Mirena IUD was causing my pain or not? I am just glad that it is removed because alot of other peoples post that I have read, there just doesn't seem to be nothing safe or great about the Mirena IUD. My advice to anyone who is pondering on whether they should get the Mirena IUD or not,I would say don't put yourself in the danger and side effects that it can cause. I decided to go back on the birth control pills. Anything but,those IUD's should be better to use! Just wanted to share my story,thoughts,and opinions to hopefully help others! I will try to keep everyone updated in the next week or so on whether my pain went away or not now that the Mirena IUD has been removed!

I have a "tilted"pelvis so I cannot feel the string. Went probably 5months ago to see if it was where its suppose to be ,they did an ultrasound. And it was in the right spot. For about 3months I have really bad cramping and its worse on my left side by my ovaries. Wondering if its attatched or upside down or not where its suppose to be anymore. I want to get it taken out I think..I've had it for a year and 1month. Never had bad pains like this before..

I've had it more than 5 years i was fine but.. i'd been experiencing slight pain in my lower left back/side too.. it's a heavy feeling.. (if you know what i mean). I had my urinalysis couple of days ago and it was normal. I'm thinking of removing it already...but don't know which contraception would best work for a working mom like me.

My uterus is tilted to and I feel the exact same way im going to get mine removed asap im in sooo much pain u should have it removed

I would get it removed.

I had my IUD for 11 months had several side effects however the last 2 months of it had been the worst. I have been having lower pelvic (left side) and back pain as well as having to go to the bathroom a lot. My doctor did urine test no bladder infection? We removed my IUD last Tuesday, the next day I had cramping, pain and severe blood loss with huge clots in it I ended up staying home from work for 3 more days. The doctor seems to think the IUD created/caused a cyst. I have to go back in a couple of days for follow up. My experience with the Mirena IUD as not a good one and I wish I had NEVER had gotten it!

I am 52 and had the mirena inserted approx 4 years ago, I spotted during the first 18mths and always felt a bit of buying or mild infection like feeling but the doctor didn't take it seriously(must be in my head!) Now I have started bleeding although it's light... after no periods for at least 10months I thought I had made it through perimenopause. Now I have a pain on my left side lower back and front left pelvic area. I have called to have it removed but I can't get in to see my Gyno until August and have now scheduled an appt. with my GP for next week!

I too have the mirena IUD. Had it since 2000. I have it changed every five years and just the last year and a half have had two major back spasms that lasted for two weeks I was doing physio, chirp and exercises to help relieve the sever pain . I couldn't walk, go to the bathroom literally , my husband and my kids had to dress me carry me to the supper table and bring me to the bathroom. I was in tears for the two weeks. I had xrays (which were very painful seeing that my spine was so spasmed that it was curved to the side) done, MRI, and I had to take two different antibiotics to relax my back and my leg muscles. And now I hurt everyday still. When I stand, sit,walk, drive and sleep. I now am thinking of speaking to a REAL specialist about my problem, seeing that I am not alone.

Yea i had mirena and it hurt i had for five years all my part u talking about do hurt

I know it's been a while since you have posted this but how are things going?? I am having the same problems you were having and now they want to run the same tests that you described. (colonoscopy, endoscopy) Just had a colonoscopy last year and everything was fine. Hope you are doing good. Just wanted to know if I need to have all those tests done.

I have had mine in as well for over a year and just last sunday starting experiencing pain below my rib cage as well in the lower stomach area and sides and back pain. they also did cat scan, ultrasound, bloodwork, urine culture and could not find anything. I am going to get mine removed asap. because i am hearing that alot of people are experiencing the same thing. the pain is so strong i have to be on pain meds to keep it from hurting so bad

Hi, I have the same problem SMS I got mine put i'm December with pain starting in march, I thought it was a pulled muscle, but when I get the pain I get bad cramping too. My obgyn told me it could most likely be the iud.

Let us know how everything goes after you get it removed. I have had mine in a little over a year as well. I have the symptons for a while now and actually going to see a gasternologist Tuesday. I don't think that's my problem but still going to have it checked out. Do ou experience any nausea?