I HAD A TOTAL HYSTERECTOMY WHEN I WAS 30Y OLD, DUE TO SEVERE MONTHLY PAIN ,BEFORE THE HYSTERECTOMY THE PAIN STARTED 2 WEEKS AFTER MY PERIOD. THEY COULD NOT FIND ENDOMITRIOSIS.I STILL GET PAIN EVERY MONTH LASTING 3-4 DAYS WITH BLOADING,GAS,BACKACHE, SLOW URIN FLOW AND MY INTIRE ABDOMEN IS SORE WHERE THE SCAR IS, LIKE I DID 1000 SIT UPS.ITS BEEN 8 YEARS SINCE MY SURGERY AND STILL SUFFERING. I WAS TOLD ITS OVULATING.
ANY ADVICE ? :-(

Hi! I had a partial hysterectomy 2 1/2 years ago at the age of 30- due to heavy bleeding, endomitriomsis, and tumors on my ovaries. Last summer I was having horrible pain on my abdomin lower right. Went through tests and they found a tumor the size of a grapefruit on my right overy- had it removed last June. Now I only have my left overy. I continue to have cramping every month- as a matter of fact right now- bloating, brownish discharge and I to feel like I've done 1,000 sit-ups. Gone to the doc. and he said it could be scar tissue- I can't imagine living w/this pain for the next 50 years. I haven't found anything that has helped, but if you do could you please let me know.

I had a hysterectomy for severe menstrual cycles accompanied with terrible cramping, nausea, and vomiting every month since I was 13 I am now 26 with 3 children . I got the hysterectomy because my doctor said I had endometriosis which was my 4th opinion and after the hysterectomy another dr. told me the pathology report showed no endo. what could the dr. have seen. but now that i've got the hysterectomy ( uterus and cervix) I am still sick monthly as if I'm getting a cycle I'm just not bleeding Should I have gotten my ovaries out could that be what's causing me to be sick

I had a partial hysterectomy July 5, 2007. All went well until this month (September). I am having terrible pain on my lower right side and soreness at the scar tissue. So much pain that i have to unbuckle my pants while I'm at work. I don't know if any of this is normal and don't want to go to the Dr for every little thing.....but i'm starting to wonder if any of us should experience this type of pain. I am interested to find out what any of your findings are.

Please be sure to update us all.

Best Regards....Hystersisters.

I too had a total hysterectomy (uterus and cervix) in Dec. 07. Now I am experiencing horrible pain in my lower right abdomen and along the scar site. I am taking 800 mg. of Motrin every 6-8 hours and it doesn't even touch the pain. Is this because of my ovaries? Should I have had them removed? This stinks!

I had a total hysterectomy in Dec. 07 and now I am experiencing horrible pain in my lower right abdomen and along the scar site. Nothing seems to relieve it. Is this because I still have my ovaries?

I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy next week. I get pain in my lower right side which the doctor has figured is from the fibroids growing under my uterine lining. Bu tif all of you are having the same issues AFTER your hyterectomies then what can it be? Is there something there that the docs can' tsee?

I as well had a partial hysterectomy over 1yr and 3 months ago. When I went to the dr I was experiencing pain in my upper abdomen close to the liver with pains also in my lower back and abdominal area.

It's when they discovered that I had 3 tumors one the size of a grapefruit and some small ones. This of course work for a while now for about 4 months now I'm having the same pains.

I'm going to the ER today and if I get some related information I will inform.

I am 47 years of age and had severe bleeding for about a year. I would have a monthly cycle lasting about seven days and then about three days later I would have another one. I not only would bleed alot, I also had severe cramping, bloating, back aches and headaches. There was times I couldn't hardly walk it hurt so bad. After several opinions and approval by my insurance company, I had a hysterectomy. I have only one ovary left, which is on the left side. It doesn't always function, so I have to get estrogen shots. I start having very bad hot flashes and my doctor suggests I'm still to young to be going through the change. Those hot flashes are nasty. I have had five c-sections, three being that of giving birth to my children, one I lost a child and had an infection and the last one being my hysterectomy. Here it is a year later, I do not bleed but I do have all the side effects of a monthly cycle still. I have very severe abdominal pain and bloating every month. No over the counter meds help. My doctors just tells me it is normal to still have the pain, because the one ovary is letting me know it is my monthly cycle time. He said he left it in because it was good and it could function for another five years or so. I cannot stand the hot flashes and the pain every month. Any suggestions, would help greatly. Thanks!

I'm 28 years old and had a total hyterectomy because of Post-partem heamorhage two months ago, I experience bloating, sharp pain in my abdomen, particularly on the site of the operation.It is sad that we have to go through this but I want to encourage you and all the other women who have gone through the same. Be strong and be Survivors.

I am 26 I have 6 children, after my last child I had started to hemorrage, the thing is though 3 hours after I had the baby I had gone through 16 hospital pads. I was given a male nurse who I amm sorry but they dont know what is really expected to tell ya that the bleeding is normal to haveing a clot the size of a grapefruit popping out during the torturous uterus massage. Then being told that there is a question on how much blood is in the system. long story short I ended up having a total hysterectomy but still having my ovaries I have the cramping, and still have after pains , most of all I cry and cry and cry some more where i woonder what is going on with me it last alot longer then my ovulation time . I am thinkinng if this doesnt stop my husband will have me commited. But not just that my mood swings are horrible does any one know what to do or suggest

I am a 47 year old who is 10 weeks post operative for a total (+ ovaries and fallopian tubes out )hysterectomy. I had been diagnosed with PCOS when I was 32 and was told I would have trouble having children when I was 18 due to not ovulating. I dealt with the severe pain that acccompanied the rupturing cysts since 23 years old. I didn't get periods every month but when I did they hurt, some months trips to the E.R. In February this year the pain started with my cycle and lasted 3 weeks. I would not have been able to work were it not for pain medicine. Even then I still had pain and felt like there was a bowling ball inside me. I went to the E.R. in March after the third week and demanded an MRI to see what was causing this. I had a ruptured appendix in July last year followed by a blood clot, lung infection/surgery, MRSA and another intra abdominal abcess in Nov. last year that I had to get a drain put in and was in the hosp. about 8 days to manage the infection. After all of that I thought I had another abcess or something else horrible going on. The pain was so bad. My primary care doctor stopped prescribing the needed pain medicine. I wasn't a candidate for hormones because of the blood clots. The vaginal progesterone capsules (to bypass the liver) 3 month trial made matters worse. One of the cysts turned to a mass of 6 centimeters near the right ovary and I had 3 to 4 cm. cyst near the left ovary plus multiple smaller cysts within the ovaries from PCOS. One specialist Reproductive Endocrinologist gave up on me. I think he was afraid to operate due to my past medical complications. He kept saying it was probably adhesions and told me to go to the E.R. monthly for pain management. The first Reproductive Endocrinologist wanted to put me on monthly Lupron shots to shrink the cysts and stop the cycles. My insurance didn't cover the nearly $700 month shots. Not to mention it did carry a risk for causing clots. He referred me to a Gynecology Oncologist. I didn't got right away because it seemed to extreme. Well the pain came back in June for 2 weeks and I had another ultrasound the showed the mass. I did see the gyn. oncologist who said that since medical management had failed to date, I was a surgical candidate. My maternal grandmother died at 37 from cancer of the reproductive organs. My maternal aunt had ovarian cancer caught early and treated successfully, my mom had uterine polyps removed and I knew I was at a higher risk for cancer due to just PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), nevermind the new mass and the recent year of surgical complications. No doctors would due the surgery. The last stop for train wrecks is a gynecology oncologist. They have extensive training in complicated gynecology patients needing surgery potentially as well as known cancer patients. I didn't know they worked on people without cancer too. The surgeon was wonderful. One R.E. (reproductive endocrinologist) who wouldn't remove everything said I would after the surgery that I felt as good as I had before it. I couldn't believe he said that. I said do you know how much pain I've been living with? It couldn't be worse. He said your hormones will be off because everything will be gone. He was wrong. Yes I occassionally get "warmish" flashes. But that's it. Initially my sleep was more disturbed. The surgeon said I only had minimal scarring on my ovaries from ruptured cysts. But not the widespread severe adhesions doctors made me fear I had. The surgeon did a vertical laparotomy. He did this to get a good visual of what was going on. Turns out I had undiagnosed bad endometriosis as well as PCOS. That explained the lesion the multiple abdominal lesions that showed up on the MRI that no doctor told me about. I got a copy of my medical records from every doctor. You have to get and stay very involved. Don't be afraid of several opinions. Don't be afraid to change primary care doctors if needed. The pain I've endured is now gone. I don't have to worry if I'll be able to work when the cycle hits again or tell my friends I can't go out because I'm in pain. Friends kind of quit calling to go out after awhile. It was not quality of life or living I had suffered through. I am glad my doctor took out everything he did. Also, ask you doctors if they use a barrier film such as Seprafilm to prevent adhesions during surgery. You want the fewest number of invasive surgeries because each one, especially ones that aren't laparoscopic, exposes the body to more adhesions internally. A site I looked at prior to surgery was ARD.org (Adhesion Related Disorders) I believe was the site. Doctors had really attributed my pain to adhesions and tried to make me fearful of getting the hysterectomy. Gynecology Oncologists have the greatest skill and training to attempt these surgeries without all the risks that general surgeons and regular gynecologists can cause due to lack of expertise. Why there aren't more referrals to these specialists is beyond me. Women like Gilda Radner might still be alive if she had been diagnosed early enough. Too many times doctors dismiss us a pain medication seeking. Rather than seeing us a patients in pain, seeking permanent relief in some form or other.

I had a total lap hysterectomy Jan 27, 2009 for 4 weeks I've been having a severe pain on the right side. I've been to my doc's. office 3 times and the er for a CAT SCAN last week. The pain was so horrible just friday my doc gave me a shot of lidocaine in the area where the pain is and now she's sending me to have another ultra sound and the pain clinic to get me a med that is long lasting, because the shot she gave has worn off ( she warned me it would). I just need relief because the pain is borderline crippling.

Just the same.... total hysterrectomy 7 yrs ago due to endometriosis. Pain with complete symtoms of severe cycles, two a month. Cramps, bloating the works and the duration has doubled!! This is insane, yet CT and MRI show nothing, possible endometriosis is stuck on something, but technically it should not grow without the blood.... however has the strength to eat thru intestines and cause cancer.... I need to know myself, but really hot flashes and night sweats suck too. Older I get the worse it gets..... am 42.  My case is being refered to OBGYN sergeon for laproscopy of endometriosis. They go in with a scope thru belly button to see if theres anything there....  Drs act like this is uncommon, so it's pretty rare, but happens for all reasons.  Rule out tumors and such, then endometriosis if theres a history....  scar tissue, my Dr didn't think so.

I just got back from the hospital for the umpteenth time this year; I am again suffering from massive lower right abdominal pain – the pain is so bad that I cry, I can’t walk upright – I can’t do anything. I would have bet my life that my appendix was ready to burst; After morphine and a CT, I was sent home because there is “nothing wrong” with me – 100% tiptop shape. Now for my history – I had a full abdominal hysterectomy 8+ years ago (when I was 30). The reasons for the full (ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus and cervix) hysterectomy were chronic severe abdominal pain/cramps, endometriosis, pre-cancerous cells in my uterus, and ovarian cysts. Within the last couple of years I’ve begun to experience pain again, and it continues to get worse.  Today is the worst I've ever felt.  Like I said previously, I thought it was my appendix or maybe even diverticulitis but apparently not. What I’m wondering is can I possibly be having “phantom” menstruation cramping? Has anyone ever heard of anything like that? I’m starting to feel like I’m crazy. The other thing I was thinking is that the scar tissue could be the issue, but wouldn't a CT identify that?  Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.