8 months ago I had a complete hysterectomy,I am 32.The last couple of days, I have been experiencing cramping(menstruation type) and pain on my left side.Just as I did before my surgey.Is this normal?am I doing too much?How long is the full recovery?

I am 37 yrs old and I too required a total ab hysterectomy due to a huge ovarian cyst only 13 weeks ago. They found pre-cancerous cells and it was thought I might need chemo cos I could have had ovarian cancer. Thankfully I didnt, recovery has been going well until 2/3 weeks ago I started having the cramping/burning pains through my right side and upper thighs that took me to doctor to begin with.

I didnt mind the hysterectomy so much cos I thought the cramping pains would go but I am going out of mind thinking I may never get rid of these pains!!!! :-(

I had an almost full hysterectomy May 2006, but they left ONE ovary. I'm still tracking my monthly cycle and it seems to me that I STILL get bloating, breast swelling, irritability, and WORST of all -- CRAMPING in my lower abdomen! I don't get it! There's nothing left to cramp!! I had a hysterectomy due to fibroids (too many for them to count!). I also have a little radiating pain in my upper thighs which is similar, but dramatically reduced to what I used to experience when I had the fibroids. I think I might still be recovering from the swelling from surgery because it just hasn't completely gone away and my scar area still feels tender and numb. It will be one year in May 2007 - I've heard it takes about a full year to feel fully recovered. If this pain doesn't go away soon I'm going to have to go see my doctor again. A nurse friend of mine said that even though the uterous and one ovary are gone, its possible that the muscle tissue that formerly supported the uterous and fibroids may still be responding to the monthly cycle. My nurse friend isn't in OBG-YN, so its just a guess on her part.

Also, I get a bit of a shooting pain on my RIGHT said once in awhile (where my one good ovary still is! and I seem to have swelling on the left side, where the fibroid-covered ovary used to be - I imagine its still swollen due to healing/scar tissue?)

I hope someone else who has had experience on this topic can reply, too! I've been all over the internet looking for an answer! Thanks for posting your question!!

ME, TOO!

I search my mind for all of my activity and food intake that might be causing the pain. When I had fibroids I learned that caffeine was a trigger for pain. After hysterectomy, I had vaginal pain that I thought was a bladder infection -- I went to the doctor and they said everything looked perfect! So then I CHANGED MY OFFICE CHAIR! The pain went way within a week! So now I'm thinking maybe be lower abdomen pain might be due to posture, swimming, wearing high heels, or being on my feet too long (because I also have low back pain).

I just don't know! And its so hard to try to keep track of all the possible things that might be going on that's causing the pain that *I* can control. Having one ovary certainly means that I am still producing some of the estrogen I used to produce, i.e., not menopausal (I'm 42).

I had a total hysterectomy done in August 2006 due to uterine fibroids and endometriosis (ovaries were removed too). I still experience pain on the lower abdomen/pelvic area. People tell me that scar tissue is still healing. I am not sure if this is something to worry about and discuss with my doctor or just wait to give it more time to heal. I don't want to sound like I am making a big deal, although this is stopping me from excercising and even walking for too long at the Mall.

I had a complete hysterectomy in January 2006. Started spotting in August (2006 to present), each month as if i was on a monthly cycle. My OBGYN sent me to a urologist he can't find anything. They keep telling me not to worry, but I want to know why I am spotting. I don't have ANY of the equipment to be spotting!!! No spotting with sex, no pains. I am irritable as if I was PMS. Keep messing around with hormones and the latest, premiarn vaginal cream gave me awful migraines. I don't know what to do anymore. Are there any suggestions? I only spot a very small amount and one to two days, no need for tampon or pad. I am going crazy.

Guest wrote:

I had a total hysterectomy done in September 2006 due to uterine fibroids and endometriosis (ovaries were removed too). I still experience pain on the lower abdomen/pelvic area. People tell me that scar tissue is still healing. I am spotting a small amount during urination as well. I have not had intercourse in 2 weeks. Why am i spotting and why and i cramping. This seems to be the worst I have felt in a long time. Am I crazy? Do I need to go to my OBGYN for yet another check up?

Please read Dr John Lee, MD's book "What you doctor may not tell you about menopause" You'll be glad you did. You need to not take synthetic hormones which cause many bad side effects and ask your doctor for BIO IDENTICAL Progesterone and Estrogen... what God gave us in nature does not cause high blood pressure, bone degeneration, and all the other problems you are probably experiencing with the altered drugs that the pharmacy industry is shoving down our throats. They don't like the natural hormones that they can't patent and make money off of.

I had a hystorectomy 2 months ago and am also experiencing the same, I feel for you, exept I don't feel the craps. I feel the swelling of the breast and whats worse my Doctor tells me no when I ask if I can take water pills to relieve the swelling, he says to ride it out, sigh.......
Buhbyekitty wrote:

violet32 wrote:

I had a complete hysterectomy in Oct. '06. My uterus had grown to the size of a cantelope. They did a vaginal ,but because they did not anticipate the size of the uterus, they had to cut it out in peices. I have been expiriencing cramping, nausea and mood swings. It started at about the same time I should have been having my period. (they left both ovaries) Now, I have it almost all month long, and my stomach seems to be bloating as it did before. I am going nuts!!!

Hi Ladies,

I had a total hysterectomy 10 years ago..I was only 20 yrs. old then..I had sever endometiosis ( my Dr. say's it was the worst case ever reported, and for my age at the time.) The linning in your female organs are usually fused with the endo. but for some reason mine had fused everything in the abdominal area as well...I had the ovarian cyst also...After the surgery I experienced right numbness of the right thight and of course the abdominal numbness around the incision area...I was also told in time it would get better and to this day it is still the same...No feeling at either place...I was told that sometimes nerves are cut in the procedures and there is nothing you can do.....As for the bleeding I did spot a couple of times nothing last long though...I do still feel my body going through the monthly cycle ( or trying to) I get bloated and do have cramps at times....I will say one thing...I have never did hormone theropy and I don't have any overies.... Not sure if that would have anything to do with your problems or not...That was a choice I made for myself .... I do have a few problems that happen often...I experience lower left abdominal pain that moves around to the lower left back...I have been checked in the past for bladder infections, kidney infections and so on...It's not a Kidney stone I have had those and the pain is very different....Maybe one day I will get an answer to this problem... I have also had bowel problems scence the hysterectomy...Yes, we would rather not talk about that issue but it does happen and if anything it gets worse...I have came to the conclussion that I will never again be 100% and try to function as close to that as possible...With all the other changes in my body that I am starting to experience do to this procedure...Makes me wish things could have been different...I feel I was RAPED from getting to experience all the female changes on a natural bases...If you think about it, our hormones, our female body parts are stripped from us for good...And that is a BIG part of who the female is and will some day be...Then I was young and dumb to the fact off what was truley about to happen to me...And now I starve for those feelings, those thoughts, and that person I will never be..... Just remember!!! things will happen everyday that we don't understand, can't controll, and for some reason can't get answers, but I am only 30 now and have survived so far....Take one day at a time, learn your body all over, and most important LOVE yourself and who you are.......Until next time...Tan.

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 3 months ago and was experiencing the same type problem. The OB-GYN discovered that I had granulation tissue which is where the body "over heals" and builds up scar tissue. They removed it in the office a few weeks ago and my symptoms have disappeared.

I am 29 and I also had a hysterectomy in Nov 2006 (I still have my ovaries). I had whats called a molar pregnancy and had to have chemo (its a form of uterine cancer). And I still am having severe menstral type cramps, bloating & other PMS syptoms around the 1st of the month which is when I used to have periods. I thought that cramps were caused by uterine contractions and having no uterus I cant figure that one out. I also still feel myself ovulating and it SUCKS!!!

After a hysterectomy in '90 that left both tubes and ovaries, the only change in menstruel symptoms in 19 years has been absence of flow. I eat well, exercise, have never taken hormone substitutes, enjoy good health and, while I was surprised at the monthly cramps, swelling, etc, it's obvious after this many years that one does not need a uterus to have a female hormonal cycle. Now that I look back on it, the real question is why did I ever believe the surgery would erase cyclic hormones in the first place?

I too had a hysterectomy 12/06. They left my ovaries/tubes but took everything else. Because of mood swings, doc put me on a hormone patch. Since I've been on those, I have cramps, bloating, irritability, sore breasts and spotting! I told my doc about the spotting - he literally said impossible.... i can't explain it, theres no uterous - i'm going to do more research and contact the surgeon/gynecologist that performed the hysterectomy if I can't get to the bottom of this on my own.